boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
All I need to know about Gruden plays itself out every Monday night.

He actually described Mike Jenkins as a good tackler last week.

At this point, we might need Eeyore to coach this team to counteract the organizational rays of sunshine.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Seattle was a failure? Getting Matt Freaking Hasselbeck to a Superbowl?

And he'd have been the first coach to win a SB at two different places if not for the crookedest officiating I personally have ever seen.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

And he'd have been the first coach to win a SB at two different places if not for the crookedest officiating I personally have ever seen.

He can thank Jerry for two extra number ones, for starters.

And you cannot sit there and tell me his succession plan with Mora wasn't bad.

At his age, unless he gets fortunate, we are not getting power Walrus.

We are getting the same cheap Parcells imitation we got before.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Good point. I was looking more at the last few years in Seattle and how he left the state of the franchises in both Seattle and Cleveland.

Reaction score
Yeah, well sure, if Belichick is available, I'd be in favor of him. Harbaugh too.

But they aren't available.

A prerequisite for the head coach position in Dallas is gravitas ... enough gravitas to hold one's own in those "shared decisions" with Jerry. Belichick and Harbaugh could do this (but aren't available). The promising young coordinators couldn't.

So I'll go with Holmgren. He could hold his own with Jerry. Holmgren might not be the best pure offensive mind for the job, but he could neutralize the Jerry-factor .... which is the first priority.

That's basically what TE is saying too.

I'm not listing those coaches as options, I'm listing them as examples that contrast the "philosophy first" coaches like Garrett and even Holmgren. I'm saying that these are the prototypes of what Dallas needs and also what is working right now in the league. I'm sure there are still a few coaches who could play the modern game and still neutralize Jerry (which is a very good point).

Parcells actually understood the concept and had Carthon for running plays and Payton for passing. Young coordinators who had their fingers on the pulse of the current NFL....well actually, Payton had his finger on the pulse while more likely, Carthon had his elbow on the pulse. Still the right idea.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What the hell for? He isn't a real HC either. Massively overrated as a HC.

Yeah, I don't think he is getting through to that roster and instead relies on the veterans to run the locker room.

Pittsburgh is getting old and shit, but if he truly believed in what their brand of football is, he'd be doing a better job.

He just looks like a guy that is finally realizing that oh shit, the gig is up.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Tomlin is another Tampa 2 disciple. Could be a DC Coordinator candidate if he gets the boot in Pittsburgh.

This is all assuming the new HC doesn't have Jerry forcing Kiffin or Marinelli on him. I don't mind Marinelli honestly. I just want it be the next HC's call.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah but he wears sunglasses and has a toothpick in his mouth during games.

Does that not count for anything?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tomlin is another Tampa 2 disciple. Could be a DC Coordinator candidate if he gets the boot in Pittsburgh.

I don't even know for sure that he is a good defensive coordinator.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't even know for sure that he is a good defensive coordinator.

I don't want him as HC here but I like him as a DC. High energy, had success in Tampa Bay and Minnesota as an assistant.

Reaction score
What the hell for? He isn't a real HC either. Massively overrated as a HC.

Hmm. I guess we have different ideas of what a HC should be. This is what I see that would be advantageous and remedial for Dallas right now.
+ His defensive players consistently play with high intensity and with an attitude that they can win the game with or without their offense. Many times that has translated into a top ten defense in points allowed per game and/or yards allowed.
+ Despite being a defensive coach originally, he has a strong relationship and influence on the offense. Similar to Jeff Fisher, each of his offensive players play his game of tough football.
+ Rarely makes tactical errors during the game. Maybe it's his oversized, boggly eyes but he is very alert to everything happening during the game.
+ Has used several different styles of offense and is not afraid to take chances.
+ Somehow seems to inspire all of his players to play for him.
+ If your point is "won a Super Bowl but had very little to do with it" I would say you are mixing up Dungy and Tomlin.

Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
PIT 2007 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Jacksonville Jaguars in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT 2008 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 3 0 1.000 Super Bowl XLIII Champions
PIT 2009 9 7 0 .533 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2010 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 2 1 .667 Lost to Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV
PIT 2011 12 4 0 .750 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT 2012 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2013 0 4 0 .000 AFC North – – – –
Total[23] 63 37 0 .630 5 3 .610

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I dont have a clue who could coexist and change the atmosphere of this stuck in neutral franchise.

Not a big Tomlin fan. I think he inherited a silver spoon. Tomlin was successful because he fell into the lap of one of if not the most structured sound franchises in the NFL. Not to mention inherting a team just 1 year removed from the Superbowl and full of skill players in their prime along with Dick LeBeau as a sidekick.

I hold Dick LeBeau in much higher regard than Tomlin. Tomlin were to come here he'd be in for a culture shock. He'd just fall in line with the others who were smothered by Jerry and his overbearing dysfunctional ways.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He can thank Jerry for two extra number ones, for starters.

And you cannot sit there and tell me his succession plan with Mora wasn't bad.

At his age, unless he gets fortunate, we are not getting power Walrus.

We are getting the same cheap Parcells imitation we got before.
Would it be better if he were 10 years younger, sure. But right now I'd take the cheap Parcells imitation. There aren't many options out there other than Gruden, who would also be fine.

Main point is I don't think some younger unproven guy would work. Needs to have some cred with the players when he walks in the door.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm. I guess we have different ideas of what a HC should be. This is what I see that would be advantageous and remedial for Dallas right now.
+ His defensive players consistently play with high intensity and with an attitude that they can win the game with or without their offense. Many times that has translated into a top ten defense in points allowed per game and/or yards allowed.
+ Despite being a defensive coach originally, he has a strong relationship and influence on the offense. Similar to Jeff Fisher, each of his offensive players play his game of tough football.
+ Rarely makes tactical errors during the game. Maybe it's his oversized, boggly eyes but he is very alert to everything happening during the game.
+ Has used several different styles of offense and is not afraid to take chances.
+ Somehow seems to inspire all of his players to play for him.
+ If your point is "won a Super Bowl but had very little to do with it" I would say you are mixing up Dungy and Tomlin.

Won Lost Ties Win % Finish Won Lost Win % Result
PIT 2007 10 6 0 .625 1st in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Jacksonville Jaguars in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT 2008 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 3 0 1.000 Super Bowl XLIII Champions
PIT 2009 9 7 0 .533 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2010 12 4 0 .750 1st in AFC North 2 1 .667 Lost to Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV
PIT 2011 12 4 0 .750 2nd in AFC North 0 1 .000 Lost to Denver Broncos in AFC Wild Card Game
PIT 2012 8 8 0 .500 3rd in AFC North – – – –
PIT 2013 0 4 0 .000 AFC North – – – –
Total[23] 63 37 0 .630 5 3 .610

I have, and always will contend he has absolutely nothing to do with that teams success or failure. He has no impact whatsoever on the defense as it is, and its always has been LeBeau's system. He isn't an offensive coach and if as you sugest he is doing something with the offense, obviously he isn't very good at it because they have gotten worse on offense every yr he's been there.

He's a token HC. He had a fairly loaded team and a great staff when he took over, and those teams got MASSIVE help over the years from the refs, especially in the postseason.

Top Bottom