MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Except, you never said anything like that.THAT's the problem. Not the personnel.

Actually I agreed with whoever said that if Jerry had bought the Chargers we would not have had Jimmy, Emmitt and most of that 90's team. I was pointing out to that person that the Cowboys would still have had Aikman but definitely would have been without Jimmy, Emmitt, and the Hershel Walker trade. They also would have been without Darren Woodson.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Actually I agreed with whoever said that if Jerry had bought the Chargers we would not have had Jimmy, Emmitt and most of that 90's team. I was pointing out to that person that the Cowboys would still have had Aikman but definitely would have been without Jimmy, Emmitt, and the Hershel Walker trade. They also would have been without Darren Woodson.

Why do you believe its a foregone conclusion that Jimmy wouldn't have been coach of the Cowboys? Jimmy was pushed to jeri by Schramm because he wanted to hire Jimmy to replace Landry

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Why do you believe its a foregone conclusion that Jimmy wouldn't have been coach of the Cowboys? Jimmy was pushed to jeri by Schramm because he wanted to hire Jimmy to replace Landry

The Chargers hired a new coach that year too (Dan Henning) but with Jerry in charge he f the Chargers and his connection to Jimmy he likely would said lured Jimmy to San Diego. There is actually a good chance that whoever bought the Cowboys could have found a way to go get Dan Reeves from Denver. Or even sign Reeves young hot shot D.C. Wade Phillips.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You're agreeing because of the incorrect premise, that jerry would have hired Jimmy to coach the Chargers.

There's NO way to know WHAT ALL would have happened for Dallas in the late 80s-late 90s, had Jerry bought the Chargers in 1966.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Chargers hired a new coach that year too (Dan Henning) but with Jerry in charge he f the Chargers and his connection to Jimmy he likely would said lured Jimmy to San Diego.
There's literally NO way to know any of that or even reasonably conjecture it. If Jerry buys the Chargers in 1966 then you don't know it it ever goes through the Coryell years or not, you have no idea if the Chargers are even LOOKING for a coach in 1989, or even if Dallas is.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You're agreeing because of the incorrect premise, that jerry would have hired Jimmy to coach the Chargers.

There's NO way to know WHAT ALL would have happened for Dallas in the late 80s-late 90s, had Jerry bought the Chargers in 1966.

The butterfly effect. Jerry buying the Chargers would have completely changed everything about the entire NFL.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The butterfly effect. Jerry buying the Chargers would have completely changed everything about the entire NFL.
Not necessarily. He probably goes bankrupt and never sees a NFL chance again, more likely. This was 1966. And it was a horrid financial deal his daddy wisely talked him out of.

The problem is, Scot thought Jerry tried to buy the Chargers in 88 or 89, therefore assumed Jimmy would have gone there. Then you jumped in with all the theories about how then there would have been no Emmitt, and etc. He tried it in 1966, and there's just NO fucking way anyone can extrapolate what happens with Jimmy, Jerry, Emmitt or anyone else in a 25 year span.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So I was just pouring over the stats and a couple of the more interesting ones were connected and jumped out. Dez had 5 catches on 13 targets, Dak went 20 for 36. Basically trying to force the ball to Dez accounted for half Dak's incompletions. Thirteen targets to a guy who has a hard time getting open goes back to coaching. Outcome of the game could have been different if even half those incompletions had gone for positive yardage. Really mind boggling that this shit is obvious to fans but not so much to those in charge.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So I was just pouring over the stats and a couple of the more interesting ones were connected and jumped out. Dez had 5 catches on 13 targets, Dak went 20 for 36. Basically trying to force the ball to Dez accounted for half Dak's incompletions. Thirteen targets to a guy who has a hard time getting open goes back to coaching. Outcome of the game could have been different if even half those incompletions had gone for positive yardage. Really mind boggling that this shit is obvious to fans but not so much to those in charge.

we just never know what kind of crazy shit is going on behind the scenes. For all we know, jeri might be mandating to the coaches that they get the damned ball to Dez

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wait- it's LEGAL for a defender to step in front of a receiver, catch the ball instead, and run it into the end zone? I just saw that shit happen in this Seattle game. Would someone please tell OUR guys this shit? Could make a big difference in our games!

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wait- it's LEGAL for a defender to step in front of a receiver, catch the ball instead, and run it into the end zone? I just saw that shit happen in this Seattle game. Would someone please tell OUR guys this shit? Could make a big difference in our games!

Shhhh.....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wait- it's LEGAL for a defender to slap the ball out of the quarterback's hand, and another to pick it up and run it into the end zone? I just saw that shit happen in this Seattle game. Would someone please tell OUR guys this shit? Could make a big difference in our games!

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wait- it's LEGAL for a defender to slap the ball out of the quarterback's hand, and another to pick it up and run it into the end zone?
Not in Arlington or whatever city the Cowboys happen to be in at that time.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The zone is getting harder to stomach and I dont know if it worse if they are winning or losing. There are still Kool-Aid drinking fan boys over there typing with Dez's used, unwashed jock on their face as they post, claiming he isnt a drive killer, and blaming his failures on Dak. Hardly post there anymore. Speaking of fan boys did Spidey's mom take his phone and computer away?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And this offense just seems sooooooo unimaginative. It's almost like we run the same plays over and over again. The D raely has to guess if it's a run or pass. About the only thing they may need to guess is if Dak fakes the hand off to Zeke and keeps it himself.

The defense is exactly the same.

Reaction score
And this offense just seems sooooooo unimaginative. It's almost like we run the same plays over and over again. The D raely has to guess if it's a run or pass. About the only thing they may need to guess is if Dak fakes the hand off to Zeke and keeps it himself.

We only run the same plays over and over if they are not working. When the other team shows they cannot stop those plays is when the coaching staff stops calling them.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
So what's worse? Throwing a pick trying to force the ball on 4th down or throwing it 10 yards short with no chance at all?

Top Bottom