Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I call BS

You don’t just decide to retire, agree to accept a broadcast job, and not talk to your current team about it first

Especially not Witten and his relationship he supposedly has with the Jones, with the Jones taking him and Romo on vacation with the family.

Plus Witten is a stand up guy by all accounts and I can’t see him blindsiding the team like that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You don’t just decide to retire, agree to accept a broadcast job, and not talk to your current team about it first
You do if they piss you off, orrrrr if a ESPN VP makes you an offer that night, you can't refuse. Like, 10 million annually and a signing bonus to cover your restructure bonus you'll have to forfeit. Something like that.

There's never been any reason to doubt Stevie's veracity.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Plus Scot, you're forgetting the sudden meeting with Jerral.

Source: Jason Witten has had his meeting with Jerry Jones to discuss retirement. No final announcement has emerged, but all signs point to Witten leaving for the TV booth, as first reported by ESPN.
— David Moore (@DavidMooreDMN) April 27, 2018

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah he probably forfiets that guarantee, that up-front money but ESPN probably covers that for Jason.

There's really no question now, that this was a sudden decision the Cowboys FO wasn't in on.

I wonder what happened last night, to change Witten's mind. Everything pointed to his going forward with us this year, then suddenly BAM. He's gone.

I’m telling you he was shocked that they actually offered him the job.

Well at least now we will get to see what any young TE’s that come through Dallas have. Witten was a great player but a total progress stopper.

408Cowboy

Spectator
Reaction score
I call BS

Especially not Witten and his relationship he supposedly has with the Jones, with the Jones taking him and Romo on vacation with the family.

Plus Witten is a stand up guy by all accounts and I can’t see him blindsiding the team like that.

The stand up thing to do would have been to keep it under wraps until the draft was over. Not get it leaked on day two.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That’s what I’m saying, something just doesn’t seem right with the timing of everything on Wittens part.

I’m sure we will find out more in the upcoming days

It was time for him to retire. This just isn’t the way I expected #82 do go out

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jason is getting out while the getting is good. No good can come from him playing another year with an amateur coaching staff and an inaccurate QB.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
another career squandered by Jerry and Red. if he thought we were on the cusp of a SB, he'd stick around.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I agree

He KNOWS there is no hope to get a SB ring before he is forced to retire because of his age. Which would have probably been after this season had he stayed with the team.

If he has a chance to take the money and run to a new job right now then there is no smarter choice

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
With the retirement of Witten it seems that almost all of the players we have all been complaining about for awhile now have left the team. I know, we all love Witten, but his time has been up and it was time for him to go. He ran like an old man last season and showed his age.

Romo- gone
Dez- gone
Witten- gone
Legion of Boobs- gone

Just about the only guys left that need to be replaced for one reason or another are Sean Lee because he has never stayed healthy and the Coaches because.... Garrett

We may not have any of our age old problems to complain about after this seasons failures are added up and the coaching staff gets replaced

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Jerry just said at the presser that Jason has to think about his future over the weekend. And that no decision has been made.

Witten has to be in the top 5 greatest Cowboys of all time?

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
247Sports
Here is Jones statement on Witten

As stated above he is going to take the weekend to talk about it with his family. In the article it stated that Jerry met with Witten prior to today and discussed this. So it appears not to be a last minute decision that happened between last nights draft and this morning.

Last edited:

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
That’s what I’m saying, something just doesn’t seem right with the timing of everything on Wittens part.

I’m sure we will find out more in the upcoming days

It was time for him to retire. This just isn’t the way I expected #82 do go out

He was drafted 15 years ago, today.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You got Staubach and Lilly two of the 50 NFL GOATS. So that leaves three spots. Emmitt has to have one. Comes down to picking two from Irvin, Aikman and Witten. I think on stats alone Witten has to make the cut. So who doesnt make the cut, Troy or Michael?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry just said at the presser that Jason has to think about his future over the weekend. And that no decision has been made.

Witten was a great one for sure and will be a first ballot HOF, but man, cant say I would have him above Aikman or Staubach, or Randy White or Lilly, or Emmitt, or Irvin or Larry Allen.

I think top-10 might be debatable, but he isn't top-5 IMO

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One of the all time greats, in Dallas and at his position. And I don't believe he has held this team in any fashion. Two tight end sets have become standard enough that Dallas could have developed a serviceable young te behind him if they had felt like it. That's not on him, it's on Garrett and company.

If Witten's indeed done, I believe what is already a questionable receiving game is much more so. What I know for certain the countdown to Canton is in full swing.

Top Bottom