MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Regress wasn't the right word. He didn't progress. And hey, you well know I'm right with you on the coaching and use (misuse) of him. But, the dude simply isn't nifty. He's a lugger. Play is called for a run in the A gap, defense knows it's coming and loads the box with a 9-man stack. He just runs to the hole the play calls for, running up the ass of a guard, and getting dropped for a loss. He isn't nifty enough to make that sudden cut outside where the lunch is. He doesn't run to daylight, he just sort of slogs into whatever gap they tell him to. Either because he is just dumb, or because that was mandated by the HC, I don't know. I know he is not Emmitt Smith, and he doesn't possess the speed to call him Hershel. He doesn't take control of games in the 4th quarter and doesn't really scare anyone. I simply wouldn't have given him the monster contract he got.

Hopefully this new HC knows what he has and how to use him. Dude is deadly in open space. Needs to get more passes thrown to him. Tall order given the group of receivers we have, no doubt.

He’s definitely not as limber or explosive as he was his rookie year or when he was at Ohio St. He’s become a different back the last couple of years. You’re right, he is more of a bruiser. He’ll never be Emmitt, but he also doesn’t have to be in order to be effective. He still has very good balance and enough shiftiest in traffic to be a very effective. He’s closer to Ricky Williams than Emmitt Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
He’s definitely not as limber or explosive as he was his rookie year or when he was at Ohio St. He’s become a different back the last couple of years. You’re right, he is more of a bruiser. He’ll never be Emmitt, but he also doesn’t have to be in order to be effective. He still has very good balance and enough shiftiest in traffic to be a very effective. He’s closer to Ricky Williams than Emmitt Smith.

This is a pretty good take.
I, too, would like to see him featured in the passing game more.
As Dooms said, might be tough with our WR group. OTOH, I could see him catching some checkdowns or sneaking in an empty spot a WR cleared out. Pollard as well, now that I think about it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
As Dooms said, might be tough with our WR group. OTOH, I could see him catching some checkdowns or sneaking in an empty spot a WR cleared out. Pollard as well, now that I think about it.
Don't you long for the days when we had a creative, innovative offense? Landry's screens were legendary. Preston Pearson and then later, Dorsett when he learned the ropes, gave opponents fits!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I can’t remember who was being interviewed on the radio but they made reference to the coaching staff has high hopes for Pollard in the passing game this season. Also that they see him as a player that will have a breakout season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Zeke hasn't. Duplicated his 2016 season. Then after he got paid regressed a bunch. Happens when you pay 'em big.

He just got paid last year dude, talk about massive overreaction. He didnt "regress a bunch"

The OL is not as good as it was from 2013-1016, and our coaching has been a major handcuff for years (until now hopefully)

We get it, you don't like the guy.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So if College Football is cancelled how would that effect contract negotiations with Dak? Would it have an effect?

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't care to speculate about Dak's people or what contract someone else should have signed

many who say he shoulda took they deal the follow up with something like ...

Even the biggest Dak homer out there can't say with a straight face that he is a top-3 or even top-5 player at his position.

reality check - Dak has $30M a year value because he's 26 year old big play machine
we will rarely see a QB hit as many 20+y passes or throw as few dumb passes
in the pocket he's better than most and out of the pocket few if any are better
he'll throw a duck or two a game that drive us crazy, but he is a top notch play action deep QB

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's amazing how many "stats" people need to push the narrative about Dak while we watched the playoffs from home. And we watched him stink the place up with a playoff birth on the line. Dak was offered a more than fair contract. I'm also convinced we can go 8 and 8 with Dalton, not that I think Dalton is a better QB. But he can be the same bus driver as Dak minus the garbage time stats.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Strange I don't remember a few million bucks standing between Jerry and something he really wanted. Point being they like Dak, not love him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's amazing how many "stats" people need to push the narrative about Dak while we watched the playoffs from home. And we watched him stink the place up with a playoff birth on the line. Dak was offered a more than fair contract. I'm also convinced we can go 8 and 8 with Dalton, not that I think Dalton is a better QB. But he can be the same bus driver as Dak minus the garbage time stats.

And you could likely get Dalton for $10M-$16M a season in an extension.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dak has $30M a year value because he's 26 year old big play machine
No... He GETS 31 Mil on the tag, because that's what the league says. Based on average of top QB salaries, which are the result of an ersatz "market."

We have NO indication of his true market value because we were too cowardly to find that out by using the non-exclusive tag on him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Strange I don't remember a few million bucks standing between Jerry and something he really wanted. Point being they like Dak, not love him.

It could be they believe their offer shows "they love him"

There's a difference between loving a guy and going into other-worldly cap stupidity for a guy.

Remember we spent 10-15 years in total salary cap hell. They seem to be trying to do everything possible to prevent a repeat of that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And you could likely get Dalton for $10M-$16M a season in an extension.

So?

Maybe that's because Dalton is 1/2 the player Prescott is.

I bet we could get Quincy Carter or Jamarcus Russell for a great deal too.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
No... He GETS 31 Mil on the tag, because that's what the league says. Based on average of top QB salaries, which are the result of an ersatz "market."

We have NO indication of his true market value because we were too cowardly to find that out by using the non-exclusive tag on him.

the free market negotiated the the NFL / NFLPA deal. they knew what they were signing

maybe it wasn't a cowardly move, maybe they made the calculation Dak was worth the full tag vs the comp if he left
but we're guessing at other peoples motives ... maybe your right

We can guess about all sorts of stuff, for example, IMO, it could be Dak is about as confident in JJ as we are
and he doesn't even know yet if he and MM will get along
the kid don't lack confidence and the probability feels this O will get him a even better deal next year

but we really don't know other people's thoughts

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
dbair is in full homer mode. The season must be close.......

After finally ridding ourselves of that Red Plague Garrett I really want to go full homer, but am finding it hard to do so.

Great offseason, some good free agent signings and what appears to be a really quality draft, and best of all no idiot HC. Yet because of the current situation, I honestly am finding it hard to care. Amazingly I havent even looked at one NFL season preview magazine, and normally by this time I have bought one or two and read all the others at the bookstore/magazine rack.

Honestly it wont hurt my feelings if there is no football this year and as I have mentioned a couple times, with the way some of these clowns are acting I almost wish the league would just fail and there wouldn't be any NFL. I absolutely abhor what Goodell and a fairly decent % of these players represent.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

You keep spewing this junk, but year over year teams consistently sign QB's to really massive contracts, even guys who seem kind of middle of the road. If he was truly free to negotiate with anyone he WOULD have gotten some really attractive offers. Yes, we would have still gotten a couple of 1st rd picks, but if he had signed with a team drafting near the bottom of the 1st round then the compensation we get for a legit NFL starting QB would have been shit. Likewise, some team expected to draft fairly early but believed they may have been a QB away could have signed him, and between getting Prescott and other free agents/draft stuff they could become a legit playoff team. Either way, we LOSE.

Top Bottom