Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After finally ridding ourselves of that Red Plague Garrett I really want to go full homer, but am finding it hard to do so.

Great offseason, some good free agent signings and what appears to be a really quality draft, and best of all no idiot HC. Yet because of the current situation, I honestly am finding it hard to care. Amazingly I havent even looked at one NFL season preview magazine, and normally by this time I have bought one or two and read all the others at the bookstore/magazine rack.

Honestly it wont hurt my feelings if there is no football this year and as I have mentioned a couple times, with the way some of these clowns are acting I almost wish the league would just fail and there wouldn't be any NFL. I absolutely abhor what Goodell and a fairly decent % of these players represent.

I'm with you 100% and feel the same way. I don't even know it's almost time for camp. I soured on baseball when the owners and players got too greedy and canceled the World Series and I'm almost ready to do the same with football but for different reasons.

Millionaires being the moral police is just not fitting. And millionaires like DLaw who might not report to camp is lame. I get it, his wife is pregnant and I get the concern. But grocery store workers and waitresses go to work to make ends meet. Personally, I'd have a little more loyalty to the business and profession that made me wealthy but whatever.

Number1

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It's amazing how many "stats" people need to push the narrative about Dak while we watched the playoffs from home. And we watched him stink the place up with a playoff birth on the line. Dak was offered a more than fair contract. I'm also convinced we can go 8 and 8 with Dalton, not that I think Dalton is a better QB. But he can be the same bus driver as Dak minus the garbage time stats.

"bus driver" ... Scott don't work here no more
you seem "convinced" of many things
REALITY - this is big play offense and Dak is as good a deep passer as there is in the game

BTW, cherry picking the kid's one injured game in 4 years is kinda tacky

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So?

Maybe that's because Dalton is 1/2 the player Prescott is.

I bet we could get Quincy Carter or Jamarcus Russell for a great deal too.

Why would you want Quincy or Russell? That’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard you say.

Dalton is by far better than those two. And no one ever said Dalton was better than Dak. Dalton would be nothing more than a stop gap. Under Dak the Cowboys have won 1 playoff game and last year went 8-8. Are you telling me that Dalton couldn’t “bus drive” this team to 8-8? Same production on $30M less per season. Doesn’t exactly take rocket science to see what the right answer is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We'll never know that for sure.

Do I really need to get your slow ass a list of all the far lesser QB's that have signed deals nobody can really explain or justify? It's the state of the game in the NFL when it comes to QB's. Elite QB's don't have any monopoly on getting elite paydays because of the position they play.

It's beyond moronic to suggest he wouldn't have gotten a pretty significant payday.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm with you 100% and feel the same way. I don't even know it's almost time for camp. I soured on baseball when the owners and players got too greedy and canceled the World Series and I'm almost ready to do the same with football but for different reasons.

Millionaires being the moral police is just not fitting. And millionaires like DLaw who might not report to camp is lame. I get it, his wife is pregnant and I get the concern. But grocery store workers and waitresses go to work to make ends meet. Personally, I'd have a little more loyalty to the business and profession that made me wealthy but whatever.

Totally agree with the post but would temper the DLaw criticism a bit because we don't know all the particulars of his wife's pregnancy. It could very well be that her physicians are advising them it's a major risk (perhaps she is considered high risk etc etc)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Do I really need to get your slow ass a list of all the far lesser QB's that have signed deals nobody can really explain or justify? It's the state of the game in the NFL when it comes to QB's. Elite QB's don't have any monopoly on getting elite paydays because of the position they play.

It's beyond moronic to suggest he wouldn't have gotten a pretty significant payday.
The list would include qbs that were exposed using the non-exclusive tag? Thought not. Stick to the same neter.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why would you want Quincy or Russell? That’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever heard you say.

Dalton is by far better than those two. And no one ever said Dalton was better than Dak. Dalton would be nothing more than a stop gap. Under Dak the Cowboys have won 1 playoff game and last year went 8-8. Are you telling me that Dalton couldn’t “bus drive” this team to 8-8? Same production on $30M less per season. Doesn’t exactly take rocket science to see what the right answer is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if everything falls right, sure Dalton is capable if winning some games.

That said, Dalton is not as good as Prescott right now. I doubt there's a real GM or NFL personnel person in any organization that would say they'd want Dalton over Prescott as their starter. It's not about getting to 8-8 at a bargain rate, it's about paying better players for potentially better team results. I think Prescott gives us a far better chance to win double digit games and potentially some postseason games than Dalton, Prescott is a more talented player at this point and is younger too.

And it doesnt surprise me that the point I made flew right over your head.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dude, you are making an idiot of yourself again.
You don't even understand the argument. The "market" is artificial, therefore the only way to find the actual value of a player on an individual basis is to expose him using the non-exclusive tag. You find out what interest there is and get to match any offer he signs if you want to.

My bet was that yes he would get some offers. Stuff like 2 years, 50 mil. With these offer sheets we now have an actual market value for that ONE player and we negotiate from there. NOT from the artificial average.

If some dumbass wants to give him Mahomes type money then hell yes, we let them have him and take the compensatory picks. You might even wind up exactly where we are value wise, but at least we TESTED it.

Non-exclusive tag means we don't have any real options and have a really poor negotiating position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't even understand the argument. The "market" is artificial, therefore the only way to find the actual value of a player on an individual basis is to expose him using the non-exclusive tag. You find out what interest there is and get to match any offer he signs if you want to.

My bet was that yes he would get some offers. Stuff like 2 years, 50 mil. With these offer sheets we now have an actual market value for that ONE player and we negotiate from there. NOT from the artificial average.

If some dumbass wants to give him Mahomes type money then hell yes, we let them have him and take the compensatory picks. You might even wind up exactly where we are value wise, but at least we TESTED it.

Non-exclusive tag means we don't have any real options and have a really poor negotiating position.

Non-exclusive tag means we might lose our starting QB without suitable compensation genius.

It was necessary because they (like most teams) don't have someone waiting in the wings that can easily take over the reigns and the team have confidence that he is THE GUY.

Agents ask for the moon and usually settle for less than their ask, that's the way most negotiations start and end. The fact of the matter is when it comes to the QB position in the NFL, rarely can you find examples of guys getting only "fair market value" because the league puts such an emphasis on how important that position is. The owners have almost never adhered to "lets pay this guy what he is really worth" when it comes to QB, because every team knows they are basically 100% fucked without one.

As long as it's that way, what your are arguing for is a moot point.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Non-exclusive tag means we might lose our starting QB without suitable compensation genius.
ONLY if we don't match the offer sheet and if we don't we get two 1st round compensatory picks.

My calculation was, very few if any GMs, HCs or even OCs think very highly of Dak.

If you let some doofus pay him monster money you just sign a veteran like we already did anyway, and let the chips fall where they may. Then DRAFT yourself a QB.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And the reason I was for that? He turned down our first generous offer prior to last season. Tells me and everyone else with a brain we have a hostile negotiation on our hands. And we should have played it that way.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And the reason I was for that? He turned down our first generous offer prior to last season. Tells me and everyone else with a brain we have a hostile negotiation on our hands. And we should have played it that way.

I think what I said the other day may have more truth to it than some believed.

Perhaps Prescott just doesn't want to be in Dallas THAT much. He said some of the right things publicly but actions speak louder than words. Broaddus and now JJT (both of whom I don't put a ton of faith in by the way) are essentially both saying Prescott doesn't have a contract extension now because he very well might not want to be here.

Next off-season is going to be pretty interesting.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think what I said the other day may have more truth to it than some believed.

Perhaps Prescott just doesn't want to be in Dallas THAT much. He said some of the right things publicly but actions speak louder than words. Broaddus and now JJT (both of whom I don't put a ton of faith in by the way) are essentially both saying Prescott doesn't have a contract extension now because he very well might not want to be here.

Next off-season is going to be pretty interesting.
My first thought when he turned down our generous offer. It wasn't a lowball offer.

Second thought was, let's test his true value to make sure we're not guilty of confirmation bias.

Both reasonable thoughts, which time has validated.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My first thought when he turned down our generous offer. It wasn't a lowball offer.

Second thought was, let's test his true value to make sure we're not guilty of confirmation bias.

Both reasonable thoughts, which time has validated.

I think he definitely would have gotten paid a ton. Teams are desperate for QB's and worse or far more mediocre guys than Prescott have gotten huge deals. It happens every year.

The only question is whether a team that needed the QB that badly would have sacrificed the dollars AND the two firsts. The Bengals weren't going to do it because they had the 1st pick in the draft and could take the guy they perceived as a future franchise QB (which I have doubts that he will be), But some team that drafts much later might see giving up two late 1sts for a young, proven starting QB as very reasonable. At that point it isnt reasonable for us though as he has more value to us than two potentially late 1st rd picks in 2021 and 2022 (which present day would value those picks on the trade value chart as a 2nd and 3rd)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Can't assume the picks are gonna be late picks, I'd be betting that team who got him goes 8-8 with him at best.

The point is, we find out his actual value. And adjust our dealings with him accordingly. Not just blindly shovel out Russell Wilson money.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are giving this way too much thought and looking for ghosts. Dak is not a Cowboys because he over-valued his worth, just like a lot of fans do. He thinks he's one of the best in the game and he'd be here if we paid him what he wanted.

I'd take 2 #1 picks for Dak all day, every day and use it to move up. In addition, teams that would give up 2 #1 picks are probably cellar dwellers otherwise they wouldn't be so desperate for a QB.

Top Bottom