Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let’s not crown Andy Dalton our savior just yet.

He’s been in the league 9 years, he’s been to the playoffs 4 times, and he’s lost every single time! The only thing Dalton knows about the playoffs is where the exit is.

Dak has already outperformed Dalton in the postseason.

But that’s not saying much because he has also outperformed Wentz, Stafford, Carr, Tribisky, Bridgewater, Jackson, Taylor, Murray, Fitzpatrick, Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew, Jones, and Allen in the postseason.

Dalton will make solid back up. Nothing more.

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We dodged a bullet. I was sweating it out for a while but I think the team was more than fair considering the QB market value. Dak, just like a few of you here, overvalued his worth and QB skills.

He’s not Mahomes and he was offered a contract that’s right in line with Russell Wilson. Based on the market and his talent the offer was more than fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's only one of a record 12 f-tagged players who didn't get a long-term deal. But oddly he's the only one the sportosphere is whining about. Considering all the uncertainty of teh covids, the salary cap, and indeed the season itself, I'm not surprised at all. It's really nothing to do with the 12 players as much as it is about uncertainty.

Saw though, where Tennessee foolishly signed Derrick Henry to a last minute $50 million deal. A running back. I still can't get over people paying RBs big, for fuck sake. Let someone else pay that guy and draft you a new rented mule to ride.

Derrick Henry made out like a bandit. RB’s contracts are only going to start going down.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Derrick Henry made out like a bandit. RB’s contracts are only going to start going down.
We've thought that for years, especially after the Murray/Eagles debacle. But here we are like idiots, paying Zeke a big deal. Titans stupidly, paying Henry 50 mil. Nobody's learning.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Let’s not crown Andy Dalton our savior just yet.

He’s been in the league 9 years, he’s been to the playoffs 4 times, and he’s lost every single time! The only thing Dalton knows about the playoffs is where the exit is.

Dak has already outperformed Dalton in the postseason.

But that’s not saying much because he has also outperformed Wentz, Stafford, Carr, Tribisky, Bridgewater, Jackson, Taylor, Murray, Fitzpatrick, Darnold, Mayfield, Minshew, Jones, and Allen in the postseason.

Dalton will make solid back up. Nothing more.

Dak has 1 playoff win, let’s not act like he’s freaking Joe Montana. Of the current crop of QB’s in the NFL he’s about number 10. Is he better than Dalton? Absolutely he is, but he’s still about 10th best. No one is expecting Dalton to be some great savior for the Cowboys. All he has to be is be a stop gap. Just be ok and don’t lose the game for us. Be a bus driver. Dalton (who as you said has made the playoffs before) is more than capable of being a bus driver.

Now going this route would require them to draft a guy this next draft to be the long term answer. So Dalton would only have to be a bus driver for 2 seasons max. Now would you rather spend $40M+ on the 10th best QB or $16M on a stop gap and draft a guy with better talent? Admittedly this would be a huge gamble because there is a big chance they could crash and burn.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We've thought that for years, especially after the Murray/Eagles debacle. But here we are like idiots, paying Zeke a big deal. Titans stupidly, paying Henry 50 mil. Nobody's learning.

Yea they could have moved on from Zeke and just drafted another guy. Zeke though is one of the very few RB talents I would consider paying that amount of money to. Sequan, Chubb, and McCaffrey being the others. Personally I don’t have a problem with what they paid Zeke. Henry is not one of those types of RB’s in my opinion. I’d be surprised if he duplicates the season he had.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if he duplicates the season he had.
Zeke hasn't. Duplicated his 2016 season. Then after he got paid regressed a bunch. Happens when you pay 'em big.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Zeke hasn't. Duplicated his 2016 season. Then after he got paid regressed a bunch. Happens when you pay 'em big.

No, he hasn’t had another 1,600+ yard season but 1,300+ and 1,400+ are still pretty good. Also averaging over 4.5 a carry is not bad. In spite of the off field crap he performed in all but 1 season when he was suspended. The last 2 seasons have been good though.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dak has 1 playoff win, let’s not act like he’s freaking Joe Montana. Of the current crop of QB’s in the NFL he’s about number 10. Is he better than Dalton? Absolutely he is, but he’s still about 10th best. No one is expecting Dalton to be some great savior for the Cowboys. All he has to be is be a stop gap. Just be ok and don’t lose the game for us. Be a bus driver. Dalton (who as you said has made the playoffs before) is more than capable of being a bus driver.

Now going this route would require them to draft a guy this next draft to be the long term answer. So Dalton would only have to be a bus driver for 2 seasons max. Now would you rather spend $40M+ on the 10th best QB or $16M on a stop gap and draft a guy with better talent? Admittedly this would be a huge gamble because there is a big chance they could crash and burn.

I’m not spending $40. And I don’t think he gets $40 unless he goes to the Championship game or beyond.

But the kid has performed well.

There is only one other QB in the entire league who has more wins than Dak since Dak entered the league. That is Tom Brady. Pretty good company if you ask me.

People act like winning games doesn’t mean shit. It does! That is literally what he gets paid to do. And that is what he has done.

He has NEVER missed a single game in his entire career. Ever. For any reason. How many other QB can say that?

We took him in the 4th round with a compensatory pick for gods sake.

He has more than outperformed his draft status. Shit, he has more than outperformed every 1st round QB taken since he was drafted other than Goff and Mahomes.

Look at all the shitty QB’s who became the top paid player in NFL history when it was their time to sign a new contract or extension. Dak has outperformed most of them.

He sure as shit has done more to earn top money than Carr, Garroppolo, Cousins, and Stafford did when they signed their record contracts, as well as many other record setting contracts that have been signed in the past decade besides Mahomes.

And Dak has done it all with Garrett as a handicap for his entire career.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I’m not spending $40. And I don’t think he gets $40 unless he goes to the Championship game or beyond.

But the kid has performed well.

There is only one other QB in the entire league who has more wins than Dak since Dak entered the league. That is Tom Brady. Pretty good company if you ask me.

People act like winning games doesn’t mean shit. It does! That is literally what he gets paid to do. And that is what he has done.

He has NEVER missed a single game in his entire career. Ever. For any reason. How many other QB can say that?

We took him in the 4th round with a compensatory pick for gods sake.

He has more than outperformed his draft status. Shit, he has more than outperformed every 1st round QB taken since he was drafted other than Goff and Mahomes.

Look at all the shitty QB’s who became the top paid player in NFL history when it was their time to sign a new contract or extension. Dak has outperformed most of them.

He sure as shit has done more to earn top money than Carr, Garroppolo, Cousins, and Stafford did when they signed their record contracts, as well as many other record setting contracts that have been signed in the past decade besides Mahomes.

And Dak has done it all with Garrett as a handicap for his entire career.

Just because a 4th round QB turned into a good QB (not great) doesn’t mean you should give him $40M. And believe me, he’s going to get $40M. He just turned down $35M. He’s banking on the expected cap increase in 2022 and 2023. I honestly would not be surprised if he’s asking for north of $40M. You are right though that he will have to get to at least the NFC Championship game to get that kind of deal from the Jones’. I personally think he’s going to have to get there and also be in the running for the MVP.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

If I recall earlier in this thread you were a pretty hard core supporter of signing Dak. Now that the team didn't give him a contract, you've changed your position. Just curious what caused the change.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If I recall earlier in this thread you were a pretty hard core supporter of signing Dak. Now that the team didn't give him a contract, you've changed your position. Just curious what caused the change.

I wanted them to sign him to a reasonable contract (although I thought the Jones’ would cave and give him $40M). With the offensive weapons on this team a top 10 QB might be all you need. Even though I thought the Jones’ would cave I fell that giving Dak $40M would completely wreck this teams cap. I do not want them to do that. I feel that they have other options now that Dalton is on the team. Options that won’t kill their cap.

Also I know that some are upset at Zeke, Lawrence, and Amari’s contracts. I also know that each really are overpaid, however none of those contracts are killing the Cowboys cap. They I’ll also be able to get out from under those contracts within the next couple of years. If they wanted they can get out from under Lawrence and Amari’s contract after the 2021 season and can get out of Zeke’s contract after 2022. The kind of contract and the kind of money Dak wants would kill this team.

Like I said, Dak is a good QB and is better than Dalton. My opinion on Dak is based on his potential impact on the cap. Also there’s a little bit of devil’s advocate mixed in there.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
or Dallas comes to grips with the market.

Um, his "market" is Wentz and Goff, and Jerry's offer reflected that. He bet on himself last year and lost. Or maybe Robinson didn't see how he performed down the stretch against winning teams, or how he piled up empty stats when games were out of hand.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This isn't hard. It's really not. I don't gamble with the QB position with a contract for a guy that hasn't proven he can carry the team. The Cowboys didn't blow anything. They see what any impartial fan sees. Dak is a bus driver who can't carry the team. Those are not guys you break the bank on.

Can he improve? You bet. Do I like that he has intangibles. You bet. But so do I but that doesn't make me a good QB without the arm talent. If Dak has a monster year and shows he can carry the team and takes us to the SB, pay the man. But he can't. It's why we had to trade a 1st round pick on a WR. It's why we had to pay a RB big money. It's why we need a good OL.

Not one fan in KC is complaining about Mahome's contract. Not one.....no one cares. He's the most important player on the team. I'd like to feel that way about my QB because I know it's the best shot to win a championship. Jerry was offering Dak good money to keep the team at 8 and 8 and the stands full which would keep the bank roll going. It was an investment more than it was a move to win a SB. Dak wants championship caliber money. He should have taken Jerry's offer.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

He didnt regress. The coaching was ignorant and the OL wasnt as effective, especially at getting "space" and 2nd level blocking..

Dude still had a great year, yet everyone acts like he was some sort of catastrophic failure or something.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He didnt regress. The coaching was ignorant and the OL wasnt as effective, especially at getting "space" and 2nd level blocking..
Regress wasn't the right word. He didn't progress. And hey, you well know I'm right with you on the coaching and use (misuse) of him. But, the dude simply isn't nifty. He's a lugger. Play is called for a run in the A gap, defense knows it's coming and loads the box with a 9-man stack. He just runs to the hole the play calls for, running up the ass of a guard, and getting dropped for a loss. He isn't nifty enough to make that sudden cut outside where the lunch is. He doesn't run to daylight, he just sort of slogs into whatever gap they tell him to. Either because he is just dumb, or because that was mandated by the HC, I don't know. I know he is not Emmitt Smith, and he doesn't possess the speed to call him Hershel. He doesn't take control of games in the 4th quarter and doesn't really scare anyone. I simply wouldn't have given him the monster contract he got.

Hopefully this new HC knows what he has and how to use him. Dude is deadly in open space. Needs to get more passes thrown to him. Tall order given the group of receivers we have, no doubt.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Our oline was never the same once Callahan left. That was the single biggest mistake we made. We let that guy create a dominate online and then shat on him and then let him go.

Top Bottom