dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Have said it 100 times, IMO Prescott has gotten horrendous advice on this all along from his people. He should have signed the deal last year.

He keeps saying he wants to be here for good, and the Cowboys/Jones have made him really great offers to help make that happen. Even the biggest Dak homer out there can't say with a straight face that he is a top-3 or even top-5 player at his position. He is really important to us and is a solid player, and the offers the Cowboys made appear to be more than fair for where he ranks.

Maybe he doesn't want to be here as bad as he makes it out, and perhaps he is hoping to go free ala Kirk Cousins.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

all slater's posts laid out, 7 different tweets

Stat nerds @NFLResearch gave me some goodies for your Zoom water cooler debates on Dak. A thread. Last 4 year extensions? Keep in mind...this is new deal so not extension. WR Terrance Williams (4-yr, $17M), Jason Witten (4-yr, $29.6M) & P Chris Jones (4-yr, $8.7M) all in 2017

As @billbarnwell noted yesterday Blake Jarwin last 4 year deal. But while Cowboys may do 4 year deals w rookies no notable ones w marquee players.

The Cowboys have used the franchise tag on 6 players (8 occurrences) since 1993 The Cowboys worked out a long-term deal in just 3 of the previous 7 instances (DeMarcus Lawrence, Dez Bryant & Ken Hamlin) DeMarcus Lawrence: 5-year, $105M Bryant: 5-year, $70M Hamlin: 6-year, $39M

2 of the 3 long-term deals were signed on the July 15th deadline (per Pro Sports Transactions)

For those comparing the situation to Kirk Cousins...let’s talk his money. Cousins will have earned $130.5M through 2020 This includes his rookie deal, 2 franchise tags with Washington and his 3-year $84M deal with the Vikings This does not take into account the 2-year, $66M ext.

Cousins grand total career earnings could be roughly 196M if he plays the whole contract. Wow! But sometimes the double tag doesn’t work. Example, Anthony Spencer. Tagged more than the APY, played poorly so did the Cowboys. Almost didn’t tag him yr 2 then they did he got injured

One other note on Jarwin as our lone 4 year new deal guy...I’m told this is a grey area one bc of the 3/4 years because structure. It’s a 3 year extension that can be as much as $24.2 million with over $9 million guaranteed. The entire contract is over four seasons though

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
^^^ More than fair offer, and Prescott is an idiot for not signing this.

And by the way, those are similar to the numbers we saw reported last year when this came up. He could have had this same deal essentially all along, and refused because of his ridiculous agent. He cost himself a shit ton of money.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lets play how fucking stupid are athletes sometimes:

A) You can win the fucking lottery today and make millions, changing your life forever
B) Nah it's better to keep working my regular job and put off winning the lottery today, because maybe next year it might be a larger lottery jackpot.

Never mind that option B might not ever play out.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Lets play how fucking stupid are athletes sometimes:

A) You can win the fucking lottery today and make millions, changing your life forever
B) Nah it's better to keep working my regular job and put off winning the lottery today, because maybe next year it might be a larger lottery jackpot.

Never mind that option B might not ever play out.

I do not get this in any way.
100M guaranteed.
Perhaps a cap guru, which I am not, could tell me if that's really guaranteed or just contract talk.
You said it, David, he's getting horrible advice,or ignoring good advice.
I guess I'm getting too old for this shit.
Just remembering Troy made something like 55M in his whole career, and about half of that was bonuses he earned.
Yes, I'm aware this the market that has been set, but 100M guaranteed that you have not fucking earned?
Get the money son, and get in the building.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
can someone explain how this deadline works?

apparently at 5pm today, they can no longer negotiate? until when? why?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Now that we know Dak will be playing under the franchise tag I’m going to double down, Dak WILL NOT be the Cowboys QB in 2021, at least not for the entire season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
can someone explain how this deadline works?

apparently at 5pm today, they can no longer negotiate? until when? why?

The deadline was 3:00. Now that that deadline has passed they cannot negotiate a new contract until after the 2020 season.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the reason we signed the QB off the Bangles is to let Dak go and draft high fora QB. At this point, it is beyond crazy. Dude, yeah you are better than average. Dude, you don't get to have Mahomes money unless ya do what Mahomes does. I'll use the same fucking argument that was used by the Romo haters, what have you fucking done to deserve that shit? Piss or get off the pot. I'm willing to let the franchise suck for a couple of years to never have to hear his name again at this point. Sign, don't sign, you are a blight to a year full of blight.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
'll use the same fucking argument that was used by the Romo haters, what have you fucking done to deserve that shit?
They were simply correct. When you're correct it doesn't make you a "hater." It makes you objective and not a blinded fanboi.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that the reason we signed the QB off the Bangles is to let Dak go and draft high fora QB. At this point, it is beyond crazy. Dude, yeah you are better than average. Dude, you don't get to have Mahomes money unless ya do what Mahomes does. I'll use the same fucking argument that was used by the Romo haters, what have you fucking done to deserve that shit? Piss or get off the pot. I'm willing to let the franchise suck for a couple of years to never have to hear his name again at this point. Sign, don't sign, you are a blight to a year full of blight.

Is it really that crazy? Dak puts up great numbers during the regular season but has only been past the 1st round once. If Dak gets to the playoffs and again loses in the second round are you ok with the Cowboys paying him $40M+ a season?

Do you think Dalton is capable of getting this team to the second round and losing at that point? Personally I do. You could likely resign Dalton for $16M a season on a 3 year deal.

Resigning Dalton would also require that you draft a guy in the first couple of rounds. Going this route would also allow you to be players in free agency. They signed a “QB guru” as their head coach, why not make him earn his money?

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again. Now that we know Dak is playing under the franchise tag I do not believe he will be the Cowboys QB in 2021. In my opinion he would have to get at very least get to the NFC Championship Game AND be a finalist for League MVP to be worthy of $40M+ a season. They Cowboys also have the option of trading Dak.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We dodged a bullet. I was sweating it out for a while but I think the team was more than fair considering the QB market value. Dak, just like a few of you here, overvalued his worth and QB skills.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We dodged a bullet. I was sweating it out for a while but I think the team was more than fair considering the QB market value.
He's only one of a record 12 f-tagged players who didn't get a long-term deal. But oddly he's the only one the sportosphere is whining about. Considering all the uncertainty of teh covids, the salary cap, and indeed the season itself, I'm not surprised at all. It's really nothing to do with the 12 players as much as it is about uncertainty.

Saw though, where Tennessee foolishly signed Derrick Henry to a last minute $50 million deal. A running back. I still can't get over people paying RBs big, for fuck sake. Let someone else pay that guy and draft you a new rented mule to ride.

Top Bottom