Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just took a look at the QB stats for the season and even with Dak playing less than 5 total games he has 500 more yards than all the other QB’s combined, he has 9 TD’s to everyone else’s 6 combined TD’s (plus 1 thrown by a WR)

If you all don’t think Jerry is going to pay da man you are out of your minds. Dak did more in 4.5 games than everyone else did in 10 games and still leads all Cowboy QB’s in every single category

Hell, Dak has more TD’s and yards than some starting QB’s around the league and he hasn’t played since game 5.

Be prepared for $40mil to be a conversation starter real soon

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wentz and Goff went 1 and 2 not that long ago. Both got huge paydays. Wentz is now the backup and Goff is possibly getting benched for his back up. Both of their prospective fan bases hate them.

Dak was a 4th rounder and has out performed both of them.

Mariota and Winston went 1 and 2 a few years earlier. Both got paid. Both were benched by the teams that drafted them. Both are now back ups on other teams.

Even when you have a QB that looks like the sure bet it doesn’t mean that it’s going to work out and he is going to end up your franchise QB.

Paying big money to what you believe to be your franchise QB can be a risky business.

You just never know what you are going to get at the QB position even after a couple years of solid play.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wentz and Goff went 1 and 2 not that long ago. Both got huge paydays. Wentz is now the backup and Goff is possibly getting benched for his back up. Both of their prospective fan bases hate them.

Dak was a 4th rounder and has out performed both of them.

Mariota and Winston went 1 and 2 a few years earlier. Both got paid. Both were benched by the teams that drafted them. Both are now back ups on other teams.

Even when you have a QB that looks like the sure bet it doesn’t mean that it’s going to work out and he is going to end up your franchise QB.

Paying big money to what you believe to be your franchise QB can be a risky business.

You just never know what you are going to get at the QB position even after a couple years of solid play.
Well put
Certainly the Philly situation is THE cautionary tail here as you now see what happens if the QB you are paying massive money to doesn't pan out and the back up is the shiny new car (though in a short amount of time he seems to be getting not exposed but figured out)...honestly don't believe Hurts is the answer but fuck the Eagles that is there dilemma now
But then again we have seen what happens when you don't have a QB or a marginal QB (Stafford, Cousins, Garropolo etc...)...these guys are managers at best but not good enough to take their teams anywhere significant
I will say I missed Dak being out there as I enjoyed watching play and make plays though I understand he has his short comings...the price tag for me is the only issue...$28-$30M per is reasonable to me for him

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well put
Certainly the Philly situation is THE cautionary tail here as you now see what happens if the QB you are paying massive money to doesn't pan out and the back up is the shiny new car (though in a short amount of time he seems to be getting not exposed but figured out)...honestly don't believe Hurts is the answer but fuck the Eagles that is there dilemma now
But then again we have seen what happens when you don't have a QB or a marginal QB (Stafford, Cousins, Garropolo etc...)...these guys are managers at best but not good enough to take their teams anywhere significant
I will say I missed Dak being out there as I enjoyed watching play and make plays though I understand he has his short comings...the price tag for me is the only issue...$28-$30M per is reasonable to me for him

Dak has already declined $35m plus

I doubt he even entertains anything below $38m. My guess is the starting number is going to be an outrageous $40m from his camp. That doesn’t mean that he will or even should get that. But I would guess that is where the talks end up.

I don’t remember the rules but hopefully they can start talks as soon as the season ends and they figure it out quickly and well before the draft.

Hopefully Jeruh doesn’t just throw money at him just to get it done and I hope that he uses his wheelin and dealin powers to save at least some money. But I fear Jeruh sees Dak as his last hoorah and best chance at another SB before he kicks the bucket. I suspect Jeruh is in a win now mindset because he’s not sure if he has enough time left to start over with a new QB.

Plus with us dropping from 4th down to 11th or worse in next years draft, we are all but out of any potential QB talks unless Jeruh gets to doin some big time wheelin and dealin

Whatever happens I just hope it happens sooner rather than later

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So with Jerry saying Dak has all the leverage how much do you think he gets resigned for? Or do you think they seek a trade for Deshaun Watson? Or do you think they will draft a guy and bring back Dalton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So with Jerry saying Dak has all the leverage how much do you think he gets resigned for? Or do you think they seek a trade for Deshaun Watson? Or do you think they will draft a guy and bring back Dalton?

I’m guessing the starting point for talks is in the $38-$40mil range

Dalton is likely gone regardless of what the Cowboys want to do with him. There are too many teams in the market for a QB for him to not find a better offer elsewhere, plus he is likely to get an offer to be a starter again from some desperate team.

I don’t think Watson is even on their radar, nor should he be.

I will say that if Jerry makes him a valid decent offer and Dak is still playing games and won’t accept it then he needs to be gone.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Dalton is likely gone regardless of what the Cowboys want to do with him. There are too many teams in the market for a QB for him to not find a better offer elsewhere, plus he is likely to get an offer to be a starter again from some desperate team.

I will say that if Jerry makes him a valid decent offer and Dak is still playing games and won’t accept it then he needs to be gone.

I agree that $38M-$40M will be the starting point in negotiations how to have feeling he ends up with something closer to $45M/per. I don’t see the Jones’ letting Dak walk.

As for Dalton, it will be interesting to see what offers he gets. I do agree that he will get an offer however I’m not certain he’s hell bent on getting a starting job. North Texas is home for him and his wife. If the Jones’ were to offer him a competitive backup salary I could easily see him choosing to stay here (at the urging of his wife). That will also depend if the Cowboys can offer him a competitive backup salary.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

You think so Scott? I don't think Dalton played all that well and certainly not all that well to land a serious starting gig. His best bet would be to stay in Dallas as a back-up.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You think so Scott? I don't think Dalton played all that well and certainly not all that well to land a serious starting gig. His best bet would be to stay in Dallas as a back-up.

I don’t think it’s so much that he played well. It’s more a fact that there are going to be so many teams in need of a starting QB.

Brees and Rivers retired so there are two more spots open along with the usual suspects.

If he doesn’t get signed as a starter I’m sure someone will make him a better offer than Jerry just to be a back up.

If the Steelers are willing to sign Haskins then surely some other team will sign Dalton.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s so much that he played well. It’s more a fact that there are going to be so many teams in need of a starting QB.

Brees and Rivers retired so there are two more spots open along with the usual suspects.

If he doesn’t get signed as a starter I’m sure someone will make him a better offer than Jerry just to be a back up.

If the Steelers are willing to sign Haskins then surely some other team will sign Dalton.

True. Maybe one of these teams picking a QB high in the 1st round will want Dalton as a bridge for a year or two. But I'm not gonna lie....I was expecting better. I never thought he was a better QB than Dak but I thought he'd be more serviceable than what I saw for a veteran and former long term starter.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
True. Maybe one of these teams picking a QB high in the 1st round will want Dalton as a bridge for a year or two. But I'm not gonna lie....I was expecting better. I never thought he was a better QB than Dak but I thought he'd be more serviceable than what I saw for a veteran and former long term starter.

I completely agree

I didn’t expect him to save the day when Dak went down. But I did expect him to perform much better than he did. The revolving door on the O-Line didn’t do him any favors either.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Dalton is the second best QB in the division. He could easily start for the Redskins. Giants, and Eagles --- if they didn't have so much money tied up into Wentz. He could start for the Bears, Vikings --- see Eagles, 49ers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

They are not trading for Deshaun Watson, nor should they.

Prescott will be the QB here next year, barring injury.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score

The salary cap is going down so the number becomes even more significant so if they didn't do it with a cap about $10-$15M higher not sure it gets done but the tag is $38M so we may be fucked here

Dalton is a Texas guy so don't see why we don't have a shot to resign him.
Stafford will be available as may be Wentz so there are plenty of QBs out there that bring more that Dalton
Plus we need an experienced back up so that should be a priority

Watson should absolutely be on their radar though not sure we have the draft capital to make it happen
He's cheap this year and I would stomach a contract that we've been hearing for Dak for Watson

Dak was already offered a "decent" offer and I still contend that is way too much for him...he just doesn't elevate this team enough to warrant that chink of the cap

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
They are not trading for Deshaun Watson, nor should they.

Prescott will be the QB here next year, barring injury.
I will humbly disagree regarding Watson though do not think they have the draft capital that someone else is going to offer
It would almost have to be a sign and trade with Dak but the Texans need draft capital

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I will humbly disagree regarding Watson though do not think they have the draft capital that someone else is going to offer
It would almost have to be a sign and trade with Dak but the Texans need draft capital

Watson is NOT that much better than Prescott IMO

No way I'd trade Prescott plus a bunch of draft picks for him.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Watson is NOT that much better than Prescott IMO

No way I'd trade Prescott plus a bunch of draft picks for him.
But he is better and to what extent you feel that is the case is where the compensation comes in
I agree that the draft picks would be the issue especially if Dak isn't a part pf the trade package and even then it would have to be a sign and trade deal and signing Dak will cost a bunch and eat away a ton of the available cap space

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it's funny reading comments in idiotZone from the anti-Dak crowd about this.

Straight from Jimmy Johnson.

“They need to get him signed! They should have given in to the four-year deal last year. Would have saved them some money. They wanted five years. But they’ve got to get him signed. And not only is he an outstanding quarterback, he’s not Patrick Mahomes, but he is an outstanding quarterback and on top of that he is a great leader. Leader for that football team. So they need to get him signed. And the other thing is, until you find somebody better, you don’t ever give up a quarterback.”

“...They should have signed him three years ago. They should have signed him two years ago. They should have signed him, you know, last offseason. And every time they did not sign him, the price just kept going up. But they need to get it done.”

Top Bottom