• Mike Jenkins (25th, 2008)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mo Claiborne (6th, 2012)

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Claiborne shouldn't even be in the discussion. He's 1 1/2 years into his career. Doesn't look good now, but things can change.

No kidding. People are ready to lynch the kid. I still think he can be a player. He has skills, but to be honest our entire secondary has looked like crap so I am not sure we can place the blame solely on him. Coaching appears to be an issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mo, Newman, and Jenkins through , lets say 2 seasons:

Newman:

32 starts
8 interceptions
2 forced fumbles
1 fumble recovery
132 tackles
35 passes defensed

Jenkins:

18 starts
6 interceptions
64 tackles
23 passes defensed

Claiborne:

21 starts
2 interceptions
1 forced fumble
2 fumbles recovered
65 tackles
14 passes defensed

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mo, Newman, and Jenkins through , lets say 2 seasons:

Newman:

32 starts
8 interceptions
2 forced fumbles
1 fumble recovery
132 tackles
35 passes defensed

Jenkins:

18 starts
6 interceptions
64 tackles
23 passes defensed

Claiborne:

21 starts
2 interceptions
1 forced fumble
2 fumbles recovered
65 tackles
14 passes defensed

No comparison between first two seasons, no doubt. Newman should have made the probowl as a rookie and Jenkins made it his 2nd yr.

That said, its still too early. Ken Norton and Michael Irvin took some time to develop into bigtime players too f you recall. Not saying Claiborne is either of them, but both guys were players that for one reason or another Jimmy thought might not work out, then did.

Reaction score
Changing my vote to Carpenter. 7 seasons, 4 teams (Dallas, Miami, Detroit, New England). 10 starts, 3.5 sacks, 96 tackles, 1 interception (against Dallas and returned for a score when he was with Detroit).

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I need to revote. I didn't understand how to vote at first. My choice now is Carpenter.

Reaction score
Changing my vote to Carpenter. 7 seasons, 4 teams (Dallas, Miami, Detroit, New England). 10 starts, 3.5 sacks, 96 tackles, 1 interception (against Dallas and returned for a score when he was with Detroit).

Okay this is the part that gets me. Carpenter was a terrible first round pick, but if he were a 5th round pick who somehow managed to be on the radar of 4 teams over 7 seasons, then you could argue he had some utility. LaFleur only played for 4 seasons and really did less than Martellus Bennett did (except in TDs) in his first four years. But Bennett was used by Dallas as mainly a blocker and now on his 3rd team he has 5 TDs for his second consecutive season. LaFleur was not a complete TE. Frankly, Fasano is a better TE than LaFleur as well.

But looking at the stats, I really have it wrong. I need to change my vote to Carver. 4 years and he had no tackles except for 11.5 sacks. How is that possible? That's highly specialized and highly worthless.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LaFleur only played for 4 seasons and really did less than Martellus Bennett did (except in TDs) in his first four years. But Bennett was used by Dallas as mainly a blocker and now on his 3rd team he has 5 TDs for his second consecutive season. LaFleur was not a complete TE. Frankly, Fasano is a better TE than LaFleur as well.

LaFleur's career was cut short due to the severe back injury, so the comparison isn't really valid. I'd also dispute Fasano was "better" because IMO he wasn't. LaFleur had the back injury but in his only really healthy season he had 35 catches and 7 tds in Chan Gailey's scheme which almost ignored the TE altogether and took the TE off the field in most passing situations. LaFleur was a vastly better blocker too.

But looking at the stats, I really have it wrong. I need to change my vote to Carver. 4 years and he had no tackles except for 11.5 sacks. How is that possible? That's highly specialized and highly worthless.

Tackles were not an official stat for a long time and were highly subjective and based off team film data and team claims.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No comparison between first two seasons, no doubt. Newman should have made the probowl as a rookie and Jenkins made it his 2nd yr.

That said, its still too early. Ken Norton and Michael Irvin took some time to develop into bigtime players too f you recall. Not saying Claiborne is either of them, but both guys were players that for one reason or another Jimmy thought might not work out, then did.

I don't know about that. I mean with Irvin. Jimmy coached Irvin at Miami, so he knew what he was getting in Irvin.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know about that. I mean with Irvin. Jimmy coached Irvin at Miami, so he knew what he was getting in Irvin.

Jimmy wasn't worried about Irvin in terms of talent. He was worried about the injury situation. He was injured his rookie yr and was injured or hobbled a lot of his 2nd and 3rd seasons (89 and 90) as well. Most don't remember but at one point in the offseason of 1991 (Norv's first yr) Irvin was actually the #4 WR for some time. He then had his break out season in 1991 and the rest was history.

Jimmy spent high picks in 1990, 1991 and 1992 on WR's (Alex Wright, Alvin Harper and Jimmy Smith)

Reaction score
Jimmy wasn't worried about Irvin in terms of talent. He was worried about the injury situation. He was injured his rookie yr and was injured or hobbled a lot of his 2nd and 3rd seasons (89 and 90) as well. Most don't remember but at one point in the offseason of 1991 (Norv's first yr) Irvin was actually the #4 WR for some time. He then had his break out season in 1991 and the rest was history.

Jimmy spent high picks in 1990, 1991 and 1992 on WR's (Alex Wright, Alvin Harper and Jimmy Smith)

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I seem to recall there was a deal on the table in the 1991 offseason to send Irvin to Oakland for a couple of mid round picks that fell apart for one reason or another.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I seem to recall there was a deal on the table in the 1991 offseason to send Irvin to Oakland for a couple of mid round picks that fell apart for one reason or another.

It might be in Jimmy's book, if I get time this weekend I'll see if I can find it.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Wednesday injury report for Week 13
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:36:10 -0800

Dallas Cowboys CB Morris Claiborne (hamstring)

opps missed another game

Top Bottom