• Total voters

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mile high salary

Broncos sign former Cowboy Pittman to lucrative deal

Click here for more on this story

Posted: Saturday February 19, 2000 05:35 PM

Kavika Pittman Kavika Pittman predicted that he will record at least 10 sacks in a season, something he has yet to do in his career. Jonathan Daniel/Allsport

DENVER (AP) -- The Denver Broncos reached an agreement on a seven-year, $28 million deal with former Dallas defensive end Kavika Pittman, The Denver Post reported today.

Pittman's agent, Brad Blank, denied the deal was final, the Post reported, but the newspaper said a Broncos source confirmed the deal was done. The paper did not identify the source.

The deal includes a $3.15 million signing bonus, the Post reported, adding that the length of the contract is meant to blunt its effect on the team's salary cap in coming seasons. It said the contract is in effect a five-year deal worth between $13 million and $15 million, depending on how Pittman plays.

It would be the most lucrative contract for a defensive lineman in franchise history.

Pittman, 26, led the Cowboys in sacks in 1998. He has predicted to Broncos officials that he will produce 10 sacks in a season -- a number that would equal his four-year NFL total. He had 42 tackles and three sacks last season.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The year before that he had 6 sacks. He was a high motor player who was a good run stopper too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you're thinking of Ekuban, Gomer

Ekuban was a far better player than Pittman was, and he played with a mean streak. Was never the dominant pass rusher in the pros some thought he might become, but he played hard and had some 'tude on the field

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
i forgot that Ek and Pittman both played for Denver. my bad.

Reaction score
Shante Carver.

There was a DE that fell to us, Brackens I think, who we had rated very high, but we ended up trading down instead of taking Carver.

Brackens went on to have a decent career. Carver was an alcoholic.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pittman once had a season with 7 sacks. Tony Brackens had a degenerative knee condition (which is why his stock fell on draft day) and had 5 seasons with at least 7 sacks, two with double digit sack totals. Also had a real knack for strip sacks/forced fumbles and had nearly 30 career forced fumbles.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Shante Carver.

There was a DE that fell to us, Brackens I think, who we had rated very high, but we ended up trading down instead of taking Carver.

Brackens went on to have a decent career. Carver was an alcoholic.

We took Pittman after trading down and not taking Brackens

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
for the life of me i can't remember what Pittman did in Dallas to merit $28M from the Broncos

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
for the life of me i can't remember what Pittman did in Dallas to merit $28M from the Broncos

Nobody else could believe it at the time either. They were laughed at bigtime for the move, and that was when they thought everything Shanahan did was golden. They all said "obviously Shanahan sees something nobody else does"....and then he saw he was a suckmonster just like we did

Reaction score
Do you guys remember all the failed first rounders we used to always sign?

I actually used their signings to assuage the pain of the Galloway trade back in the day. "Oh, its okay we don't have two draft picks in the first round because we signed Demetrius Underwood and that fat Detroit lineman Glover or whatever and they were first round picks by Detroit and Minny, respectively."

Alonzo Spellman. Bryant Westbrook. Andre Miller. etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for correcting me. I didn't watch the draft back in the day so I wasn't 100% sure.

supposedly we were going to take Arkansas DL Henry Ford had Carver not been available. Ford went a few picks later.

That draft was ultimately ruined when the trade up to take Willie McGinest didn't happen because the Pats took him at 4. We had a deal worked out with the Rams that yr and were going to trade Alvin Harper as part of the move up.

How things might have been different.

Reaction score
supposedly we were going to take Arkansas DL Henry Ford had Carver not been available. Ford went a few picks later.

That draft was ultimately ruined when the trade up to take Willie McGinest didn't happen because the Pats took him at 4. We had a deal worked out with the Rams that yr and were going to trade Alvin Harper as part of the move up.

How things might have been different.

I do vaguely remember that part. McGinest was the first time I ever targeted a player in the draft that I wanted us to grab. I never really got serious about the draft until 2002.

Which is probably a good thing, considering...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
that 94 draft would have looked a lot different with McGinest and Allen as the top picks, on top of ridding the team of trouble making loser Harper

Top Bottom