Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
107. And 10 percent humidity.

They are calling for 110 tomorrow.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
North Texas... Hottest Place in the nation right now...

52139206456_347923bc9f_o.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dry air cools off quick when the sun goes down. 95 here now, 6 percent humidity.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
109 right now. 11 percent humidity.

Seriously nobody cares about heat index . Dry areas always show lower heat index temps. It's about how it "feels" if you're out in it. Naked.

It's useful only if you want to claim it's hotter where you are. It's not. It's just more humid.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
109 right now. 11 percent humidity.

Seriously nobody cares about heat index . Dry areas always show lower heat index temps. It's about how it "feels" if you're out in it. Naked.

It's useful only if you want to claim it's hotter where you are. It's not. It's just more humid.

I grew up in this steam bath and can tell you, a 110 degree day in the southwest is a day at the beach compared to the 90-95+ degrees with staggering humidity.

I love desert golf and have played 36 holes on days when it ended up being 115 or so, and that wasn't that bad. There's almost no way in hell I can play 36 in this stuff here (or Florida during the summer months)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I grew up in this steam bath and can tell you, a 110 degree day in the southwest is a day at the beach compared to the 90-95+ degrees with staggering humidity.

I love desert golf and have played 36 holes on days when it ended up being 115 or so, and that wasn't that bad. There's almost no way in hell I can play 36 in this stuff here (or Florida during the summer months)
Plus a little breeze is nice in the dry air. We sweat better and therefore our bodies cool internally better.

Point still stands, high humidity "feels" hotter but it's not. Temperature is temperature.

44 people had to be rescued during the course of the weekend here at Palo Duro Canyon state park -heat stress and related issues. Temp on the floor of the canyon reached 117 degrees. Humidity was 8 percent. It'll kill ya.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
44 people had to be rescued during the course of the weekend here at Palo Duro Canyon state park -heat stress and related issues. Temp on the floor of the canyon reached 117 degrees. Humidity was 8 percent. It'll kill ya.
Oh I know its an issue for some, I remember one of those 115+ days in Scottsdale and I was playing with two guys from Wisconsin. I thought I was going to have to call 911 for them.

That said, I think the high temp combined with high humidity makes it far worse on the body.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, I think the high temp combined with high humidity makes it far worse on the body
Yeah I've lived in the swamps, it ain't fun. Lived in Dallas too and the humidity makes the heat seem more oppressive. Worked in Phoenix. Gimme the dry heat.

But don't claim you're in the "hottest city in the country right now" and post a heat index map as proof. It "feels" hotter and it's more oppressive but it's not hotter.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
I will take a dry heat any day of the week over heat with high humidity. I live about about 8 - 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We are currently experiencing August weather in June. The temperatures are flirting with triple digits and high humidity. I washed 3 cars yesterday and looked like I sprayed myself with the water hose rather than the cars even though I did not get any water on me while washing them. We are also experiencing a bad drought down here in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area. My grass is starting to burn so I am about to have to give up and water it.

Top Bottom