yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
From my understanding if Romo is designated a post June 1st cut they can divide the $19.5 mil cap hit over 2017 and 2018. If he's cut or trade prior to June 1st the entire $19.5 mil cap hit would be absorbed in 2017.

Correct. I don't think the cap hit is split exactly 50-50 between 2017-18 but I cant remember what the rules for the split are.

Keep in mind this is a sunk cost and there wont be any "saving" of any of the 19.6 mill dead money, its merely how much it gets absorbed by the cap in each year.

The team can restructure contracts to free up enough space to absorb the full 19.6 million in 2017 and immediately have it paid back in 2018 because the dead money cap in 2018 would now be zero.

like I said, 6 one way, half a dozen another.

I have a question though... if Romo is designated a June 1st cut can the team negotiate a contract with a FA (using the Romo cap space) prior to June 1st and then just wait until June 1st to put pen to paper? If not then it really makes no sense to cut him because all of the top FA will have signed with other teams by June 1st.

If Romo isnt cut until after June 1st, all that could be done is a hand shake deal pending his release. Whether the player and his agent would be willing to do this, I cant say. There is a June 1st designation (each team has one (1) IIRC) where they can release Romo prior to June 1st but designate him as a post June cut so the cap hit can be allocated over two years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But really, if you're wearing your purely business hat and eschew your man-love for Romo, Jerry, this is what you would do. KEEP him on into camp and preseason and wait for some team to lose its starter and thus be truly desperate for a veteran QB. Much like what happened with Minnesota last year. If that doesn't happen, fine - you have a very expensive backup QB you were pretty much going to pay anyway - and who you'll probably wind up needing anyway.

Upshot of this is IF it DOES happen, that team might give US the farm for our discard veteran, much like Minnesota did to get Bradford.

Reaction score
But really, if you're wearing your purely business hat and eschew your man-love for Romo, Jerry, this is what you would do. KEEP him on into camp and preseason and wait for some team to lose its starter and thus be truly desperate for a veteran QB. Much like what happened with Minnesota last year. If that doesn't happen, fine - you have a very expensive backup QB you were pretty much going to pay anyway - and who you'll probably wind up needing anyway.

Upshot of this is IF it DOES happen, that team might give US the farm for our discard veteran, much like Minnesota did to get Bradford.

Frankly, it's an easy decision to make under the circumstances. However, Jerry will let Romo go for nothing, and he will go to a team that eliminates us from the playoffs. There can be no other way.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jerry will let Romo go for nothing, and he will go to a team that eliminates us from the playoffs.
Pretty confident there, ain't ya? That we'll make the playoffs again any time soon? LOL

Romo won't eliminate shit. When has he ever done that, actually.

Reaction score
Pretty confident there, ain't ya? That we'll make the playoffs again any time soon? LOL

Romo won't eliminate shit. When has he ever done that, actually.

How many fucking times have the Cowboys been the ass of the cosmic joke? You should be well familiar with it by now. Just wait and see...

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I keep hearing "If you trade for Romo, you trade for his contract." Can't it be renegotiated before a trade?

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I keep hearing "If you trade for Romo, you trade for his contract." Can't it be renegotiated before a trade?

They would trade for what remains on his contract if reports are correct. The new team would not be on the hook for the upfront money. The Cowboys are on the hook for that and the cap hit. Its reported that the new team would only have to pay Romo $14 million for next season. Thats not bad at all for a starting QB.

And one would have to think that renegotiating prior to or as part of a trade would be possible.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
How many fucking times have the Cowboys been the ass of the cosmic joke? You should be well familiar with it by now. Just wait and see...
Name a couple that compare to this bullshit one, of Romo knocking them out of the playoffs. First we have to GET to the playoffs again - after a full offseason of Garrett and Wilson fucking Dak totally up, then we gotta have Romo also get to the playoffs with another NFC team. It ain't happening and there's never been any "cosmic joke" to compare to this fantasy.

And nooooo, it for sure won't be a Super Bowl, with us vs. Romo on a AFC champion team. Who we kidding here? (Although a nice parallel would be the 40th anniversary of the only other time we faced a former Dallas QB in a Super Bowl, SB 12 when we demolished Denver led by Craig Morton. Talk about being the ass of a cosmic joke, for reals.)

I hope Romo does go to the perfect team for him with a great D, a great offensive line and running game, great receivers, so that when he does what he does which is SHIT THE BED it will once and for all time be no excuses shit the bed and choke on it Tony.

Reaction score
Tony Romo willing to 'massage' contract to facilitate a trade

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has yet to have a formal conversation with owner Jerry Jones about his immediate future, and that’s likely to take place before the Cowboys’ contingent leaves for Indianapolis, and that will be an emotional exchange for each individual, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports citing sources.

Romo is plenty smart enough to know there are things he can do to facilitate a trade with one of those teams if need be. Would it be ideal to simply be released and able to sign any contract he wants with the team of his choosing? Sure. But if Jones, who now finds himself in Super Bowl or bust mode in 2017, can get a third-round pick for him, and find a cheap five-year starter with that pick to contribute to a potential championship run, it would be foolish to not at least explore those options when everyone gathers in Indy. The fact is, no one knows precisely how this will unfold -- not Romo, not even Jones -- but all can agree that there is no feasible path to seeing Romo back in Dallas next season.

Beyond that, Romo “expects” nothing.

The exact mechanism that leads to his departure will unfold in due time, and in the meantime he is working out like a demon and is prepared to throw himself into the offseason program wherever he lands in hopes of winning a Lombardi Trophy himself. The thought of going to a rebuilding team obviously doesn’t make much sense at this point in his career, and being flexible with regard to massaging his contract to work within the cap constraints of a contending team is something to which he’s open.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I can not wait for this Romo situation to be resolved. I hope we get something for him but either way I just want it over with. And I know we have months to go before it's over

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I expect something to be done with Romo between the Combine and the draft. I still think a conditional 2018 pick would be the best trade. If he plays great then Cowboys get a 1st in 2018. If he bombs or gets injured then it drops to a 5th in 2018.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Some things never change
4a1dea531b6da1a417d44f49de904299.jpg

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This kinda went under the radar, but if accurate this kinda helps our situation in regards to potentially trading Romo.

Adam Schefter ✔@AdamSchefter
In a move that will have a ripple effect on all QB-needy teams, Patriots are not expected to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo, per league sources.

Reaction score
Broncos Will Intently Pursue Romo

Updated March 1, 2017
By Charlie Campbell.

Sources say that new Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph has looked at the two young quarterbacks on the Broncos roster and has decided the team needs a veteran signal caller for the immediate future. As a result, sources say Denver plans on pursuing Dallas Cowboys Tony Romo intently.

Joseph wants to win now and Romo could buy them more time to develop 2016 first-round pick Paxton Lynch. Team sources say Broncos general manager John Elway is not pushing Lynch on Joseph, and is agreeable to making a run at Romo.

Denver has a lot to offer Romo in terms of a team ready to win now. After all, the Broncos were celebrating a Super Bowl victory just one year ago. They have an elite defense, and talented wide receivers to appeal to Romo for making another January run. Sources say if the Broncos are able to add Romo, they would move on from young veteran Trevor Siemian.

With the Texans also planning on being in pursuit of Romo - Walt has them landing Romo in his Predicted NFL Offseason Quarterback Destinations - it looks like Houston and Denver will be chasing the same quarterback in free agency for the second straight year.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
With the Texans also planning on being in pursuit of Romo - Walt has them landing Romo in his Predicted NFL Offseason Quarterback Destinations - it looks like Houston and Denver will be chasing the same quarterback in free agency for the second straight year.

I like the sound of that

break out the Brinks truck fellas

Reaction score
I'd laugh my ass off if Romo went to Denver and brought them to the Super Bowl while the Cowboys sat at home.

Would serve Jerry and Jason right.

Top Bottom