Iamtdg

Reaction score
enough with the chest bumps or playfully slapping the helmets of players as they come off the field. you're their boss, not their teammate.

I don't have any issue at all with Garrett doing this.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
enough with the chest bumps or playfully slapping the helmets of players as they come off the field. you're their boss, not their teammate.

That's one of the few things he does that I actually like

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
it's juvenile and it's beneath him. he's not "one of the guys."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
it's juvenile and it's beneath him. he's not "one of the guys."

The players seem to genuinely like him though, they don't react funny or have a look thinking its awkward when he does it. Seems like they relish that kind of stuff.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
look's like you're right about the players but Garrett obviously knew about its history. I get all the frustration about Garrett & the Cowboys in general but we'd all be happy if Garrett proved us wrong and turned out to be a good coach in this league so as long as he's here, I'm rooting for him to succeed (& save your keystrokes everyone, I'm well aware y'all hate him and think he has no shot)
If you really read what people here say, you'll see no one really hates garrett. Most of us do not like his demeanor - we have professional cheerleaders and don't need another one. We don't like him clapping for missed FGs and turnovers. We don't like him telling players "it's okay" as they come to the sidelines, after a big penalty kills a drive or a turnover does. No it is NOT okay.
Exactly.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I thought the NFL implemented a rule preventing teams from doing this?
No, the rule on setting the o-line has never changed. Once your hand or hands hits the ground you are set. Until then, you can move pre-snap.

On the hitch, they keep their hands up near their knees, do the hitch, concluding with the 3 or 4 point stance.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Let's all make sure we understand this, from the official article:
On this particular occasion, the Cowboys used the shift during live action. Garrett said that wasn’t a decision made by the coaching staff, but by the players on the field.

“Somehow, some way they communicated with each other to take it to the game, and it was fun to see,” Garrett said.
Garrett did not know. It was a pact among the O-Line and the TEs.

He can SAY he taught it to them but by the way he does not come right out and say that. He tried to infer it.
Garrett said at his Monday afternoon media session that the Cowboys offense works on the “Victory” formation on Saturday mornings during walkthrough. The incorporation of the Landry Shift is something typically done only in practice as a nod to the past.
And I call, BS. It's never been seen, heard about or talked about, having happened in practice. I can't imagine it never being mentioned by any of the bloggers or writers.

He's trying to take backhand credit for it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Son, UVA and I are disappoint
s0n... "hate" is such a overused and misused word. You don't hate Carrot Top. You don't object to his existence or him sharing the planet with us.

You might have a extreme dislike for him, but that's not hate.

:smile1

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are being a little too rough on Garrett.....if he wasn't our coach, who'd tell the team to go for 1 after the first TD?

960x540.jpg

Reaction score
http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/Ronald-Leary-Explains-The-Lines-Homage-To-Landry/313ebe2d-8d35-40a6-8865-90a502e9db11

In the above Leary doesn't give meaningful specifics as to who came up with the idea, but it is interesting to hear that they plan to keep on doing this in the future.

This really could develop into a signature "in your face" sort of move as the season goes on. The opposition could easily come to see it as a way that Dallas rubs the losses in.

Personally, I like it. A talented OL with swagger isn't a bad thing.

Of course Landry was not one to rub in a loss or to display forms of bravado. It'd be ironic if the team's homage to him took on such overtones.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I like it too. This oline has me excited about the Cowboys again.

And I don't think it will come across that way. Someone is gonna look like an ass if they say we're rubbing the win in only to be schooled on the reason the guys are doing it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
they kind of did it wrong. their crouch should have been lower.

Reaction score
I like it too. This oline has me excited about the Cowboys again.

And I don't think it will come across that way. Someone is gonna look like an ass if they say we're rubbing the win in only to be schooled on the reason the guys are doing it.

I'm with you on the OL.

You could be right about it not coming across as rubbing it in. Either way, I'm for it.

they kind of did it wrong. their crouch should have been lower.

Yes, plus they didn't really do it in unison. And whoever was lined up on the far left of the line (Witten?) gave half-hearted effort.

It'd be nice to think that we'll see this again several more times this season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it went away because o-linemen got so big. if you forced them to go up and down before every play, you'd lose half of them to heart attacks.

Top Bottom