Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Damn Dooms. That sucks but glad to see you had a fighting chance. I had an uncle pass away from a heart attack years back and it was sudden. He was 46 then and I've currently outlived him by 6 years but it runs in my family. My father and grandfather both heart heart attacks. I get checked up routinely but obviously there are no guarantees. It's my biggest "fear" just because it can creep up on you (as you well know).
Yeah and the thyroid hormone check isn't part of routine physical exams either. Doctor CAN order it if he/she sees indicators but the truth is they really don't even look for those.

The week before my event, I was running 40 yard dashes with the college kids and playing pickup football games. Noticed I didn't have the wind I used to have but just chalked it up to middle age. Don't ever do that. ANY change like that, you need to get it ALL checked.

By the way... The Interventionist Cardiologist who worked on me kept commenting that he couldn't see any medical reason that I'd been still walking around. Much less running around. 99.9 percent of the time, people with my blockages are carried in. They don't drive to the hospital and walk in. Very strong heart, to still be doing the job well with over 90 percent blood deprivation.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well fuck me

We have a huge storm and my power just went off

This shit better be fixed by game time!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well fuck me

We have a huge storm and my power just went off

This shit better be fixed by game time!
That's the Rams "storm" gathering, they think dey goin' unleash it on da Pats.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It can sneak up on you rapidly and with no symptoms, man. 54 I was, when it snuck up on me. June 14, 2016. Having serious chest pains, I drove 16 miles to the ER and walked in like John Wayne and announced I was in the middle of a heart attack. Admitted in critical condition with my right main coronary artery 95 percent blocked and the left main 98 percent blocked, and was touch and go all night... Then at 5 am had the BIG one. I learned exactly why people pass out from myocardial infarction. If I hadn't been in cardiac ICU I would have expired. It wasn't my time yet, to go.

Two stents placed and 6 days later, they let me leave with a passle of prescriptions and I drove home the same way I came in.

The cause? Hypothyroidism, son. Sudden onset. Clogs your coronary arteries within months and you have zero symptoms. When that left main CA clogs up you're gonna expire if there's not immediate intervention. That's why it's called the widowmaker. Working out makes it even more deadly, doesn't prevent it in any way.

Is there anything you’ve learned we can do to discourage this, reduce the chances of it happening?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is there anything you’ve learned we can do to discourage this, reduce the chances of it happening?
Get that thyroid hormone blood test at EVERY checkup. Insist on it.

Side note - I saved a HS school chum's life probably, last year with this same advice. He went in because he suspected high blood pressure and they just did a cursory exam and gave him a prescription for Lisinopril and sent him on his way. I insisted he go back and get the Thyroid hormone blood test and eureka - he had low Thyroxine. The first telltale sign of Hypothyroidism.

Other things I have learned - because when something almost takes your life you become an expert on it real quick if you survive - pay attention to your body. Shortness of breath when you never had it before? Don't write it off to middle age. Go fucking get checked. Tightness in your chest you can't explain? Get checked. Fatigue that's not warranted? Get checked. Redneck male who hates doctors and getting checked? GO FUCKING GET CHECKED.

I ignored all this shit until it was almost too late. It ain't middle age, it's death sneaking up on you subtlety.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RIP Wade Wilson. 60 is way too young and it surprises me that these athletes would pass away from a heart attack (if that was the cause) when they're surrounded by team physicians and probably work out regularly.

Wade Wilson, possibly the only coach ever suspended because of the leagues idiot performance enhacing drug policy.

And he was taking stuff for his Type I diabetes.

Fucking idiot Goodell, I wish that fucker would DIAF

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im afraid of dak getting >$30 mil per season.

im also afraid of the precedent kirk cousins set with all that gtd money he got.

im also also afraid of jerry combining the 2 aforementioned fears.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The Dolphins hired Jim Caldwell as asst. HC/QB coach. I really dgaf, except some guy on Twitter said they should introduce him as "the next interim head coach" and I'm LMAO.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Dolphins hired Jim Caldwell as asst. HC/QB coach. I really dgaf, except some guy on Twitter said they should introduce him as "the next interim head coach" and I'm LMAO.
very clear and brilliant strategy coming out of MIA

tank for tua 2020

and if that doesnt work . . .

lose for lawrence 2021

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
im afraid of dak getting >$30 mil per season.

im also afraid of the precedent kirk cousins set with all that gtd money he got.

im also also afraid of jerry combining the 2 aforementioned fears.

Seems to be a horrible mistake on his part to try and get top dollar; I don't think he can carry the team but if he lets the team carry him, he could make 250 million plus endorsement & play for another 12+ years. If he gets greedy & sucks up that much cap space, he could flame out in 3 or 4 years and leave 100+ million on the table

Top Bottom