What do you think happens w/ Romo this year

• Total voters

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that they would pass on Merriman if they thought he was the superior prospect. Jerry and Stephen had dealt with difficult agents before. Never stopped them from winning.

Broaddus told me and dcfanatic the full story. He always tells the abbreviated story now. That was about money, plain and simple.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The way I remember it, there were some quiet rumblings about Romo going into 06 but Bledsoe had such a great preseason when he did play that you couldn't really bench him.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The way I remember it, there were some quiet rumblings about Romo going into 06 but Bledsoe had such a great preseason when he did play that you couldn't really bench him.

The only time he really played was the first half at New Orleans. Romo played essentially the entire preseason. Bledsoe got a concussion against the Vikings and was knocked out. So romo essentially played nearly every snap against Seattle, Minnesota, half against New Orleans....I forget the fourth game..

Also Todd archer, babe, brad, Jen engle all made huge issues out of romo not playing against the rams to close out 05 and it carried over all summer.

Reaction score
I remember Bledsoe saying at some point that he was afraid to miss any time becaus he knew if he did, people would see how good Romo was and he might not get back into the game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Do u even think before u post ever?

2004? What? The starting qb got cut at camp for drug issues....at that point who did u want playing qb in 04? He put Henson in and the guy was terrible, so to protect Henson he took him out.

Parcells was not high on Bledsoe going into 06. Go back and listen to those post game shows and whatever else u can find. He was trying to get romo ready and convince Jerry as quickly as he could.

Ftr romo did beat out Bledsoe that camp.

I know why the starting QB got cut. I also know there were other guys they could have went out and got, but Parcells wanted Vinny and handed him then job.

Parcells wanted Bledsoe, thats why he signed here to begin with. Parcells was also almost despondent when he finally made the move to Romo, because he felt so bad for Bledsoe. But after playing as bad as he had to start the year (then throwing that mind numbingly bad pick before halftime of the Giants game) Parcells finally had no choice but to bench him.

I think Parcells liked Romo, but nowhere near as much as he liked Bledsoe. I fully believe the coaching staff probably pushed Parcells to make the move sooner, but he stubbornly would not.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that they would pass on Merriman if they thought he was the superior prospect. Jerry and Stephen had dealt with difficult agents before. Never stopped them from winning.

Pretty sure the agent thing is true.

Reaction score
Ware/Merriman had the same grade. Something like 0.1.0.

Were the highest graded players we've had in forever, according to Broaddus.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Then they probably had Ware and Merriman rated similarly, because I can't see Jerry passing on a superior talent--agents or not.

i forget which scout it was but I think it was essentially they graded the same, merriman was a big school player ware was not, parcells always will take the big school player first.

I think that was it in a nutshell. They both were projected as olb in 34's and parcells needed another 2 gapper to make it all work so he wanted spears as bad...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why would Parcells have to convince Jerry to play Romo, like it was Jerry's call? One of the best moments of the Parcells years was one day when some reporter asked Parcells about some player getting on the field and mentioned what Jerry had said about it, and Bill snapped at him, "Jerry doesn't decide who plays, I do."

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I know why the starting QB got cut. I also know there were other guys they could have went out and got, but Parcells wanted Vinny and handed him then job.

Parcells wanted Bledsoe, thats why he signed here to begin with. Parcells was also almost despondent when he finally made the move to Romo, because he felt so bad for Bledsoe. But after playing as bad as he had to start the year (then throwing that mind numbingly bad pick before halftime of the Giants game) Parcells finally had no choice but to bench him.

I think Parcells liked Romo, but nowhere near as much as he liked Bledsoe. I fully believe the coaching staff probably pushed Parcells to make the move sooner, but he stubbornly would not.

Bledsoe was the perfect stopgap guy in 05, it was a team being rebuilt. He played really well until we lost flozell. His numbers dipped a lot after flo got hurt. His numbers were very similar to what romo has done sans 07.

who did you have in mind in July of 04 when the starting qb got cut? That was an impossible situation.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why would Parcells have to convince Jerry to play Romo, like it was Jerry's call? One of the best moments of the Parcells years was one day when some reporter asked Parcells about some player getting on the field and mentioned what Jerry had said about it, and Bill snapped at him, "Jerry doesn't decide who plays, I do."

hey listen, If you think I am making it up that is fine. I just remember him saying it repeatedly I had to convince jerry that romo could do this. That offseason was not like the others, he forced bill to move on from keyshawn and sign owens.

bill was in charge, but missing the playoffs two years in a row I think swung power back to jerry in a sense. I dont think jerry gave owens money so that romo could maybe throw him the ball.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
actually, I think he even talked about this when he sat down with babe in the summer of 07 at his house in saratoga. I need to find the drive that is on.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't say (or think) you were making anything up... Just trying to understand if you were saying that Jerry was deciding who played. I can't imagine Bill going for that.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I didn't say (or think) you were making anything up... Just trying to understand if you were saying that Jerry was deciding who played. I can't imagine Bill going for that.

not overall, but I think that this issue was different. the offseason was setup to win now for that season. We missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and parcells did say that was the best group they had so far as a team going into the season.

I am listening to the parcells pc from the end of the OTA 6-2-06.

No talk of romo but was asked why he brought in chris palmer and his response was he knows bledsoe, the offense and is good with young players and offensive coaches that we have...

interesting to go back and listen to this stuff.

this is the pc he said skyler green was to fat to play right now..

i did forget he said kosier was brian gaines guy and he was really high on him.

Reaction score

Parcells thought ware was the better prospect long term
/copypasta

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Poston's thing was the first thing I heard as the rationale why we didn't take Merriman.

Broaddus story about Spears v. Ware only came out after Parcells kicked his ass to the curb.

Top Bottom