What do you think happens w/ Romo this year

• Total voters
Reaction score
@SullyBaldHead
For the very first time, I honestly believe Tony Romo isn't a mortal lock as the Cowboys starting quarterback, as early as 2013, too.

‏@SullyBaldHead
Should make it clear, gut feeling is more 2014, think Romo is the QB in '13, but this extension isn't the slam dunk we thought. Not at all.

@SullyBaldHead
Think all options are now in play with Romo, trade before this draft, play out 2013 like Flacco this past year, don't see extension, though.

Reaction score
I'm hoping for him either playing out his 2013 contract, or traded before the draft.

And if he's traded before the draft, it has to be a rich deal for us for me to like it.

As much as I love Romo, if he has another three interception win and your in game to end 2013, then I don't even want to resign him.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone else get that feeling that "football" decisions are made with other considerations in mind? I'm a huge Romo supporter but if anyone wants to give us multiple first round picks for guys like Romo or Ware, I take those picks in a heartbeat at this point in their respective careers.

But guys like Romo and Ware sell jerseys and put fans in the stands. No way Jerry pulls the trigger on that type of trade for two reasons, one being money and the other being that the clown has no clue how to build a football team; he has absolutely no vision for the franchise beyond the financial aspect.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Keep Garrett trade romo.

Sounds like a wonderful plan.

Don't see romo going anywhere anytime soon however.

And if u trade romo, u are telling witten, ware, hatcher, Austin, Ratliff that they are probably going to get moved also at some point.

It's not in the jones family m.o. To even say these types of things so I doubt they ever actually do it.

Reaction score
Does anyone else get that feeling that "football" decisions are made with other considerations in mind? I'm a huge Romo supporter but if anyone wants to give us multiple first round picks for guys like Romo or Ware, I take those picks in a heartbeat at this point in their respective careers.

But guys like Romo and Ware sell jerseys and put fans in the stands. No way Jerry pulls the trigger on that type of trade for two reasons, one being money and the other being that the clown has no clue how to build a football team; he has absolutely no vision for the franchise beyond the financial aspect.

Well not only that but I get the impression that Jerry got a sense of mortality (maybe because his mom died). He turned 70 recently. It's been almost 20 years since the last trophy was hoisted. He probably knows that he can't wait another 20 years. So, IMO, he operates the team on a year by year basis. Do whatever we can to put us in the best chance THIS year, future be damned. Then, if it doesn't work, do whatever to put his team in the best chance (by his flawed logic, of course) the next year.

He probably uses late season rallies or teams that have gotten hot at the right time as justification. Giants. Ravens. Packers. Etc. Because, you know, hope is a strategy. :jerkoff

That is why I think there is no way we trade Romo. A team could offer us 2 first rounders, and Jerry wouldn't take it because he doesn't have the time to develop a young QB.

If not the sense of mortality, then I think its his tiring of being rattled by the media. He looked very uncomfortable (stupid smirk notwithstanding) answering some questions post game a few times this year.

He wants to win bad. But on his terms, of course.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well not only that but I get the impression that Jerry got a sense of mortality (maybe because his mom died).

No doubt that may be what he's thinking. From my perspective though, his mom was 90 when she died so we may have another 20 years of this misery.

That is why I think there is no way we trade Romo. A team could offer us 2 first rounders, and Jerry wouldn't take it because he doesn't have the time to develop a young QB.

And this is why I despise the man as an Owner/GM. The game has changed but he's still viewing it from the 90's. We're seeing more and more rookie QB's coming in and playing well. Teams are watered down and players aren't around long enough to grasp the intricacies of these complicated schemes. BP was too conservative and Wade was going to bring an attacking D. Then he too became "vanilla" (ie: excuse for lack of talent and failure to execute) and we went with Rob Ryan whose scheme ended up being too complicated so we're bringing back a simpler scheme with a DC as old as Jerry. You just can't make this stuff up.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep Garrett trade romo.

The plan sucks. I readily admit that. I'm not a Romo basher by any means. But it's the cards we've been dealt. I don't blame Romo for this teams woes and failures. His mistakes are accentuated because it's almost always on him to win the game. But we've gotten to the point that we have so many holes to fill that even Romo won't be able to bail us out. Add to that his age and I honestly think the guy is starting to decline which is why I say get multiple first round picks if anyone is willing to give them up. I wouldn't make the move anything less that two number 1's or a very similar trade offer.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Don't forget Jerry was booed at home from the giants game on. They couldn't show him on the scoreboard.

I imagine that affects him more than anything because he knows the first step is to boo him and the second step is to stop buying tickets.

And Jerry's motto is dont get mad at your money.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Keep Garrett trade romo.

Don't see romo going anywhere anytime soon however.

And if u trade romo, u are telling witten, ware, hatcher, Austin, Ratliff that they are probably going to get moved also at some point.

It's not in the jones family m.o. To even say these types of things so I doubt they ever actually do it.

I don't think Romo fits Garrett's O. But that would be an issue now if Callahan wasn't incorporating more WC plays into the offense.

It's a shame, that Garrett couldn't find a happy medium in how he called his plays that fit Romo's ability to get rid of the ball quicker than Marino; that instead forced Romo to try to emulate Tom Brady, and none too successfully at times.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Trading Romo? Letting him walk after 2013? Not Jerry's style. He's hitched his wagon to Tony's star. His idea of a quick fix is changing coaches, not QBs.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If I'm Romo I'm taking one more beating in 2013 and getting the fuck out of here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Welp guys, if they trade Romo, I might be done with this team. And I might have to get Sunday Ticket and become a Bills fan or whatever and hope he wins a Superbowl.

But I think if Romo doesn't sign an extension, it'll be on his initiative, not the team's. I can't see them getting rid of him for all the reasons you guys said.

I think in the end he signs here. His agent is probably just playing a little hardball right now, not wanting to leave any money on the table. Tony was pretty underpaid on his last deal and I suspect he doesn't want to repeat that.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Trading Romo? Letting him walk after 2013? Not Jerry's style. He's hitched his wagon to Tony's star. His idea of a quick fix is changing coaches, not QBs.

This is my take as well.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I can't see anyway Jerry initiates this. Romo was his "miracul" and the team has proven they are inept at finding a QB. I can't wait to see Garrett try to prep someone to get ready to play in the NFL.

However, if it happens, I'd guess it is Romo that initiates it. It'll be his last contract, so he'll probably try to get paid what he is worth. Jerry has shown he isn't very good about putting a good team around him. Stephen made those comments about Romo being a "good partner". Maybe they just assumed Romo would sign an undervalued deal.

If he's traded, I'd want it to be for next year's picks though. Not sure the QB class is too great this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's a pretty safe bet that we'll win at least two more games after Romo leaves. It might take a couple years, but that's ok.

Yeah, never mind that we won 5 games without him the year we were 1-7 with him and he got hurt.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, never mind that we won 5 games without him the year we were 1-7 with him and he got hurt.

To be fair, the Defense had quit on Phillips. Romo was actually playing pretty ok during that stretch.

Reaction score
Yeah David, I've heard you say that before. I didn't forget.

Why were you never clamoring for Kitna to start over Romo?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah David, I've heard you say that before. I didn't forget.

Why were you never clamoring for Kitna to start over Romo?

Because Kitna was ancient.

I dont hate Romo at all. But the fact is we DID manage to win without him, on a worse team.

I wouldnt tarde him just for the sake of trading him either. But if we got the right offer I would strongly support it because of Romo's age, his likely contract demands and the potential crunch on the future cap and the fact that we really havent won THAT much with him.

Top Bottom