ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
According to the interwebs.

No wonder we suck. I'll say it again, it seems like Steve and Jerry want to double down on their claim that last year was 100% injuries, and they're going to keep everything the same as much as possible to prove it.

Reaction score
Claiborne earned his extension by not being complete shit this past year. He made the most of his contract year by playing average. He deserves to get overpaid.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I read the other day they were saying they were fairly convinced Claiborne was gone

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Pats got rid of all-pro Revis and nearly made it back to the Super Bowl, whereas as can't live without a bust like Claiborne. I hate this team.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Claiborne is all about Jerry's ego. It's like the nonsense he claimed about Garrett..if we don't hold onto him we won't be able to benefit from gambling on him...

Reaction score
Whatever will we do to replace the zero picks and 7 passes defensed he gave us in 2015 if we don't resign him? I mean it's really hard to replace that kind of non-production. True, most lard asses in the stands of a typical NFL game could probably equal those totals, but the optics would be bad.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully if they do keep him its for a team friendly deal...if its a 1 or 2 yr deal to kind of prove yourself again, I don't have a big issue with keeping him.

McClain I really wonder about though. Contrary to what Stevie claimed, I didn't believe McClain was better last year than he was in 2014 and like several other Cowboy players, he missed a ton of tackles this year. I don't think its physical with him, its effort and intensity. He had it in 2014, not so much last year

Reaction score
Hopefully if they do keep him its for a team friendly deal...if its a 1 or 2 yr deal to kind of prove yourself again, I don't have a big issue with keeping him.

McClain I really wonder about though. Contrary to what Stevie claimed, I didn't believe McClain was better last year than he was in 2014 and like several other Cowboy players, he missed a ton of tackles this year. I don't think its physical with him, its effort and intensity. He had it in 2014, not so much last year

Why the hell would you want to keep the piece of shit player even for free? His production over his career can easily be exceeded by a league minimum UDFA, probably in year one alone. One of the biggest problems of the Jerry era is hanging on to suck asses. Keeping Claiborne would be continuing that trend.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I felt McClain started out slow (soft) but ended up playing much better. I think the trick with him is an incentive-packed contract. Make him earn it.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Why the hell would you want to keep the piece of shit player even for free? His production over his career can easily be exceeded by a league minimum UDFA, probably in year one alone.
Claiborne isn't a very good player, but he makes up for it by being soft, stupid, and unreliable.

Reaction score
I'm not done bitching about Claiborne and the insanity of wanting that piece of shit back to be a liability again. I've seen several people across several Cowboys forums making the claim that Claiborne did well, or played better, or what have you and it is demonstrably not true. Do you know where Claiborne ranked among all DBs in 2015? 96th out of 114. He recorded zero picks, just 7 passes defensed, can't tackle for shit, and can't stay healthy though I'd argue his getting hurt is his best attribute as it gets his sorry ass off the field.

So those that think Claiborne played well please explain this as it makes no sense. To even be considered relevant you would need to rank at least 64th as there are that many starting corners on average per season. To be considered decent you would need to be ranked 32nd or higher. Good would be top 25, and outstanding would be top 10. So how does being ranked 96th with zero interceptions and only 7 passes defensed translate to "played good"? The zero picks is no anomaly either as Mo has produced just 3 total in his entire career.

Claiborne is a liability and there is no good or even sane reason to keep the guy on the roster at any price.

Oh, and Tyler Patmon ranked 75th. Would make more sense to resign him for that position than keeping Mo.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Nobody really thinks Claiborne played all that well. He just didn't play as shitty as he had in the past. Relative to how poorly he was playing, he played well. Even very well at times.

Relative to all other CBs in the league, he's a solid competitor for the 3rd or 4th CB spot on almost any roster.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Nobody really thinks Claiborne played all that well. He just didn't play as shitty as he had in the past. Relative to how poorly he was playing, he played well. Even very well at times.

Relative to all other CBs in the league, he's a solid competitor for the 3rd or 4th CB spot on almost any roster.

I feel the same.

His big issue is he can't stay healthy enough to progress.

As far as resigning him or McClain.. I'm kinda meh about it. I don't think either of them would affect our draft plans and both could wind up getting cut before the season even starts.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
both could wind up getting cut before the season even starts.

Love re-signing guys that might not make it to opening day. Sure signs of a front office that knows what they are doing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Still dealing with people on other boards trying to still claim that Mo had a "good season" in 2015, but I cannot figure out where besides their own asses that they pull that from. We're talking about a guy who had zero picks. "You show your lack of football IQ when you judge a CB by picks alone" even though that is what you pay them for, but fine. We already know Mo can't tackle for shit. That is common knowledge. It is also common knowledge that he is unreliable injury wise. That just leaves passes defensed. Mo had 7 which is an average of 1 pass breakup every 2.29 games over a 16 game schedule or just one per approximately 9 quarters of play. So what is left to hang your hat on the "played good" part? By an metric that CBs are graded by Mo was pure shit in 2015 and has been his entire career in the NFL.

I also think a lot of people are clouding their own judgment with a bias that says you stand pat if you can't get a player that is a clear upgrade. You sure as hell can do that especially if the player you get can give you the same shit production for league minimum. I don't like to reward all time busts with any money or roster spots even if I have to replace them with a JAG. Plus, there is no reason to believe that even a JAG will do worse than Mo. The two JAGS we brought in later in the season actually made some interceptions for us. For God's sake Heath had two picks in one game, though he blew it later with a bad penalty. There just simply is no excusing corners who can't get even one interception for you.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Still dealing with people on other boards trying to still claim that Mo had a "good season" in 2015, but I cannot figure out where besides their own asses that they pull that from. We're talking about a guy who had zero picks. "You show your lack of football IQ when you judge a CB by picks alone" even though that is what you pay them for, but fine. We already know Mo can't tackle for shit. That is common knowledge. It is also common knowledge that he is unreliable injury wise. That just leaves passes defensed. Mo had 7 which is an average of 1 pass breakup every 2.29 games over a 16 game schedule or just one per approximately 9 quarters of play. So what is left to hang your hat on the "played good" part? By an metric that CBs are graded by Mo was pure shit in 2015 and has been his entire career in the NFL.
Not to mention, opponents like to throw his way and he gives up lots of receptions and yards, and gets smoked deep regularly. He's the fucking ATM for opponent touchdowns. They all know that anytime we need 6, throw to Mo.

Reaction score
Tyler Patmon and Corey White would have both been solid foundational players to head into FA, the draft or season: at least they can play a little. If we upgrade them and they are depth, fine. If they have to be on the final roster at least it's better than bad. But using Claiborne and Carr as foundational is like expecting Rod Smith as the starting point for RB or Kellen Moore at QB or TWilly as #1 WR when the other team is definitely going to play their starting players and try to win.

Top Bottom