boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Utterly horrific signings. Other than Williams, we might as well have saved whatever pittance we paid them.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Not disappointed they re-signed TWill. They got him for fairly cheap dollars compared to what some of these guys got, and he has not been a bad player. It also means finding a starting caliber WR early in the draft isn't a real need, which means its resources that can be used on defense. The top 3 WR's are set, but Butler only has a 1 yr deal and I think its a given that Lucky Whitehead is going to be replaced. Definitely room for mid to late rd pick (or two) with some speed and return ability.

Stephen Paea hasn't been too good last two yrs, but he was playing in 3-4 defenses both of those years I believe. He did have 6 sacks his last season in Chicago (2014). Maybe he's a decent rotation guy to replace McClain. He did play for Marinelli in Chicago I believe.

Nolan Carroll doesn't do much for me. I guess the upside is he has had double digit passes defensed in 3 of last 4 years. The last time we had starting CB's get double digits passes defensed was 2013 (Carr and Scandrick both had 12 that year). Kinda interested in seeing what some of his ratings were (like PFF and QB rating against). Maybe someone can post if they have it.

Demontrae Moore seems like classic underachiever. Talented but lazy and stupid. Like Paea above, Moore's best year was 2014 when he had 5 1/2 sacks in his 2nd year in the league. The only other good thing of note with him is I read Pete Carroll was apparently happy with his work ethic last year.

Pretty ho hum signings. The one thing that's kinda interesting is there were absolutely no whispers about any of these guys getting deals here, or even visiting. Even with TW they seemed resolved to he was gone.

The Cowboys signed Moore?

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Nolan Carroll doesn't do much for me. I guess the upside is he has had double digit passes defensed in 3 of last 4 years. The last time we had starting CB's get double digits passes defensed was 2013 (Carr and Scandrick both had 12 that year). Kinda interested in seeing what some of his ratings were (like PFF and QB rating against). Maybe someone can post if they have it.

PFF graded Carroll as the NFL’s 92nd ranked cornerback among 112 qualifiers.

Reaction score
Just read that we gave this scrub 3 million.

Championship!

On a side note, are pro athletes owners of the title of "most inflated paychecks in the world" or do actors still hold that one?

Reaction score
Read the subtweets to a lot of the tweets about us signing Carrol, and lets just say Eagles fans aren't upset about this loss, let alone upset he went to a rival. They all seem happy, as a matter of fact.

Reaction score
I'm not too upset with our signings yesterday. I don't think Carrol will be worth a shit. Moore is a camp body. And Twill was overpaid but whatever. Continuity for our offense blah blah blah. Peaeaaaea or whatever his name is, idk. Maybe he can do something. Maybe not.

What I'm nervous about is nether Carr or Claiborne or Wilcox signing deals with other teams yet. Please for the love of god do not resign these ass holes.

Any update on our cap situation?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Read the subtweets to a lot of the tweets about us signing Carrol, and lets just say Eagles fans aren't upset about this loss, let alone upset he went to a rival. They all seem happy, as a matter of fact.

Yeah he has had some struggles. Pretty up and down player, though I read this blurb in the top-101 free agent list on him:

83) Nolan Carroll, Philadelphia Eagles cornerback: You know him from his work as "the only solid Eagles cornerback."

UPDATE: Carroll is staying in the NFC East, signing with the Cowboys on a three-year, $10 million deal, per Rapoport.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
By the way on that top-101 list both Claiborne and Carr are ranked way ahead of Carroll.

I read Bennie Logan was visiting Washington today and apparently is considering 1 yr deals. I remember our scouts liking him when he was a rookie, seems like he'd have been a far better option than Paea at this point. And there's probably quite a few DE's they could have gotten who would have been better options than Moore (and some wouldn't have been THAT much more expensive)

Wouldn't surprise me if ultimately Paea and Moore don't make the team.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if ultimately Paea and Moore don't make the team.
Same. Moore was always a borderline player, besides being a turd. (No offense, Junk.) I bet Paea makes it, but doubt he does a lot. He seemed pretty decent at one time but he may be wearing down. He barely did anything for Washington when they had him a couple of years ago.

I don't mind keeping Williams. He's not that good, but he does play a role on this team as a good blocker and guy who makes the occasional big play. Not sure we win that one playoff game if he doesn't take that pass to the house vs Detroit.

Reaction score
GROD

D=Dooley

Basically they probably could have offered TWilly 1 year league vet minimum with incentives to catch above his head and get open in single coverage and he would have to take it because there are really no other options for him. When someone like Ed Werder points out that TWilly can't play at level that benefits the team and someone like Mark Mosley points out that TWilly has good things to offer despite not running routes very well and not catching well, it really points to player that even the least observant or expert people can see a fairly deficient player who doesn't match up with where the team should be going.

Now if he is special teams (although he can't do kick returns because his hands are too small and fumbles in collisions), a 4th option, insurance during injuries etc then it's fine as long as they can either get a complete WR #2 for the outside. I think Dooley was way off with Devin Street's and Williams lack of progress is showing that Dooleys "personal scouting" of TWilly shows Dooley to be inept.

There is a chance that Dooley pushing for TWilly is more about Dooley pushing for Dooley.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From CBSSports.com, Winners/Losers from Friday free agency. Surprisingly they had us under "winners"

The Cowboys: They didn’t do anything splashy Friday, but they made a nice few moves to address their depth.

They reportedly re-signed Terrance Williams to a four-year deal. He’s appeared in every game since he entered the league in 2013 and he’s averaged roughly 44 catches, 698 yards and five touchdowns per season.

The Cowboys also reportedly signed Stephen Paea to bolster the interior of their defensive line.

Paea hasn’t done much since his six-sack season with the Bears in 2014, but he brings some solid upside to Dallas.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys also reportedly added a cornerback to the mix. (Nolan Carroll)

Again, none of these players are household names, but that’s OK. A team like the Cowboys, who went 13-3 last year, doesn’t need to make any splashy signings. They just need to bolster their roster and fix some of their weaknesses. That’s what they did Friday.

Reaction score
How does Paea offer "solid upside?" He'll be 29 going into this coming season - which means he should already be in his prime, and he's been a virtual non-factor the past few years.

I'm a cynic when it comes to this team lately, but I don't think any of these moves improved our team at all.

Reaction score
I don't mind keeping Williams. He's not that good, but he does play a role on this team as a good blocker and guy who makes the occasional big play. Not sure we win that one playoff game if he doesn't take that pass to the house vs Detroit.

That Detroit game shows the big problem. Similar to the 2015 Green Bay playoff game and the 2017 Green Bay playoff game the game plan really abandoned what had been so successful up until that point and that was running the ball and passing when set up well by Murray and Zeke last year. But in "anxiety" theories a person will regress in times of uncertainty and that's what happens to Garrett in those games, he regresses into a passing offense that is not hard to defend. The evidence is always the same: very slow start for the offense with no significant scoring until after the second quarter, abandoning or de-emphasizing the run, trying to pass despite getting well defended and sacked and then finally finding some big plays late. But in that Detroit game Murray only ran the ball 19 times and it was not "build the first down and set up the pass", it was pass pass pass. Romo was sacked 6 times (with "that" offensive line) and he tried to run the ball twice for -2 yards.

But the TWilly part is that during those regressive (to 2012) pass-5wr-sets, TWilly is not fast enough, gets covered easily and really doesn't offer much. He seems to have his best moments later in games and my hunch is that he has been such a non-issue throughout most games that the coverage rolls toward Dez and Witten and they pull back on the worthless TWilly

So my contention is with a stronger WR on the outside at the number 2Wr, Dallas would have a better chance to be productive. And then they could bring the three legged horse into the game late as an extra option. But that Detroit game was far more about Romo getting pounded waiting for WRs to get open and the worst of the WRs who receives the least coverage to keep him from being open is TWilly.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Same. Moore was always a borderline player, besides being a turd. (No offense, Junk.) I bet Paea makes it, but doubt he does a lot. He seemed pretty decent at one time but he may be wearing down. He barely did anything for Washington when they had him a couple of years ago.

None taken.

If there's one thing I've learned it is that I suck at evaluating college players

I thought Bobby Carpenter would be good

In summary, if I like someone, expect them to be a bust

Top Bottom