NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
If we give up 100 more points this season that would definitely be worse, even if we were ranked 31st in the league.

Lol 100 more points, 100 more third downs, 500 more penalty yards, 1000 more yards... Come on..

Look, I understand your point but last to me is last. If we're the 32nd ranked D last year and end up being the 32nd ranked D this year. We're still last. At the end of the day, it's still worst case scenario as far as being the last ranked defense in the league for that particular year.

In a 32 team league it doesn't get any worse than that.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
All bullshit aside, on paper there is no way this defense improves, which means we'll probably see a decent improvement.

This team has been a supposed paper tiger for the last 7 years or so. It would be just fitting to see this defense play way over its head and puzzle all of us.

This squad looks like a 6 win, maybe 7 win squad, to me. That's with a healthy QB. They never play the way they look on paper, though.

Reaction score
The defense will improve if everyone stays healthy and plays way better than their potential indicates they should and we get some lucky breaks and if some opposing qb' get injured.

Also, our first six weeks is pretty rough. Didn't realize who we played after week one. A slow start and Garrett could lose the team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm hoping the team is better. Offensively they could be better if Romo is healthy and can stay healthy, which to me is iffy due to the back.

The special teams could be really good, which helps.

I just don't see how the defense could be worse than last year.

That said, until they prove differently they are an 8-8 team. I don't think the division is that good so I definitely believe we have a chance to win it, but like last yr I don't see more than 1 NFC East team in the playoffs.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Look, I understand your point but last to me is last. If we're the 32nd ranked D last year and end up being the 32nd ranked D this year. We're still last. At the end of the day, it's still worst case scenario as far as being the last ranked defense in the league for that particular year.

In a 32 team league it doesn't get any worse than that.
Technically, of course you are correct. I think the real question is will they be substantially better. If they're "better" but still 30th instead of 32nd because we happen to play worse QBs or a couple of teams that have bad injury problems, that doesn't really help us any.

I tend to think like sheik that we'll be better by sheer luck and the nature of this parity filled league where teams make inexplicable turnarounds all the time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Turnovers would be a big difference between #32 and getting in the top 20. So-so defensive units, if they are getting alot of turnovers - come out looking alot better on paper.

Reaction score
We were actually top half of the league in turnovers last year. It was really the only thing our defense did well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We were actually top half of the league in turnovers last year. It was really the only thing our defense did well.
But you gotta consider most of the turnovers came early, in the first seven weeks and before the injury bug hit full on.

I really don't believe we'll see the massive injury issue like we had last year, happen again - 21 guys played defensive line, alot of which weren't even in football week one, eight linebackers, four secondary men. This is above and beyond what the week one roster was. We literally had a "off the street" walking wounded defense most of the year.

If they can stay relatively healthy and not repeat the injury totals of last year there's no reason they can't be halfway decent in comparison.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I just got season tickets. You bro's mad?

The words would be spelled bros in this instance. The "bro's" are not claiming possession or performing any action that would require this noun to be contracted.

And, no, not mad.

Reaction score
This league is so average right now that with some injury luck (for us and against our opponents) we could easily be 10-6 or so. This offense should be absolutely elite. And we don't play many great QBs this year. So we could easily make the playoffs.

But I can see where the wheels could easily come off, too.

I have this nagging fear we get some luck, get off to a decent start, and Jerry gives Garrett an extension. :Emo

I agree, I think the Dallas offense could be very good this year. If the OL improves as much as it might, that offense could be pretty tough to stop.

I'll pretty much throw 42 years of being a Cowboy fan away at that point. Go Seahawks?

I bailed out with 43 years last season. I'm not really a fan anymore. I'm a passive observer who has some morbid curiosity.

Top Bottom