cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Frank Schwab
6 hours ago
Shutdown Corner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...-it-get-for-the-dallas-cowboys-165512732.html

If you're upset with the Cowboys' placement at No. 24, just know that placing them even lower was considered.

Ultimately, it's tough to rank a team coming off an 8-8 season lower than this, but there are a lot of warning signs that this is going to be a very ugly year in Dallas.

The defense was bad last season, and arguably the three best players are gone. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware was cut. Defensive tackle Jason Hatcher signed with Washington. Linebacker Sean Lee is already out for the year with a torn ACL suffered in an offseason practice. You take a defense that gave up at least 30 points seven times last season, remove those three players, and it's hard to see how it doesn't get worse.

The offense was able to carry the team to an 8-8 finish last year, but there's some uncertainty there too. Tony Romo is 34 coming off back surgery. DeMarco Murray had a great 2013 but a year ago people were knocking him for durability issues. Jason Witten is probably a Hall of Famer, but at 32 he has to slow down eventually too. The line is very good, Dez Bryant is one of the best receivers in the NFL, but to need this to be an offense that can score 439 points again, which was fifth most in the NFL last season, is scary. And the Cowboys might need them to score that and then some.
Freely spending has caught up to the Cowboys, who were fairly quiet in free agency. They've been painfully close to playoff berths the last couple years, only to come up just short. They might not come close at all this year.

2013 review in less than 25 words: The Cowboys almost won the NFC East, but Dallas lost to Philadelphia in Week 17 to cap an 8-8 season with no postseason.

Is the roster better, worse or about the same?: Ware might be losing a step and Hatcher might never replicate his impressive 2013 season, but they're better than what the Cowboys have now. If you throw Lee, a tremendous linebacker who has had some awful injury luck, into the mix then there's little question the roster is worse. The Cowboys need to hope that some of the young players on the roster make tremendous strides this season.

Best offseason acquisition: There weren't many and I'm not giving Brandon Weeden this prize, so it has to be Henry Melton. A year ago the Bears gave the franchise tag to Melton, a disruptive defensive tackle. He played in just three games last year due to a torn ACL, and signed an incentive-laden one-year deal with Dallas that contains a three-year team option. If Melton is healthy, he'll be a very nice addition to the Cowboys' defense. Then it would become an interesting question on whether to exercise a pretty expensive option.

Achilles heel: It's hard to pick just one area of the defense for this. The line has such little depth that Jeremy Mincey, who was cut by the talent-poor Jaguars last December and cleared waivers before signing with Denver, might end up starting. The linebackers are led by Bruce Carter, who is coming off a disappointing season, and Justin Durant, a natural outside linebacker who might need to replace Lee in the middle. The secondary has Brandon Carr, who hasn't lived up to his huge free-agent contract signed in 2012, and Morris Claiborne, a former sixth overall pick who is becoming perilously close to being labeled as a massive bust. It would take a lot of career years to turn the defense into a productive unit.

Position in flux: Considering Romo is coming off back surgery, the backup quarterback position in Dallas is a little more important than usual. And Kyle Orton has made it a question mark. Orton has shown no signs that he's going to come to training camp. He reportedly wants to retire. If he does, the Cowboys rightfully want most of his signing bonus back. So there's a stalemate. If Orton doesn't report, Weeden is next in line. Weeden is a former first-round pick and was Cleveland's opening-day starter last year, so it's not a hopeless situation. Still, he has struggled in the NFL. The Cowboys need to hope Romo just stays healthy, so they don't have to worry about what's behind him at all this season.

Ready to break out: Maybe it's too late to jump on the Terrance Williams bandwagon. The second-year receiver had 736 yards and five catches, and averaged an impressive 16.7 yards per catch last year. The third-round pick out of Baylor looked very comfortable on an NFL field. Now with Miles Austin officially out of the picture and Williams as the clear No. 2 after Bryant, Williams should have a fine season in a very good passing offense. Bryant and WItten get most of the defense's attention, allowing Williams some room to operate. There's no reason he can't be a 1,000-yard receiver this year.
Stat fact: Dallas is the third team in NFL history to post three straight 8-8 seasons, joining Green Bay (1983-85) and Houston/Tennessee (1996-98). In 1999, after the third 8-8 season, Tennessee went 13-3 and won the AFC. The Packers went 4-12 in 1986. So, if you want to be extremely optimistic or pessimistic on the 2014 Cowboys, you have a precedent to point to.

Schedule degree of difficulty: Dallas has the 18th toughest schedule, based on 2013 records. We'll know a lot about the Cowboys early on. Look at these first six games: vs. San Francisco, at Tennessee, at St. Louis, vs. New Orleans, vs. Houston, at Seattle. Pretty tough stretch to start.

Burning question
This team’s best-case scenario for the 2014 season: Since they did go 8-8 with a similar roster last year, it's not inconceivable that the Cowboys could be in that range again. And, if the Eagles don't make the leap everyone anticipates (let's remember, they needed to beat a 8-7 Cowboys team in Week 17 just to make the playoffs), maybe the Cowboys can stick around in that division race. That probably depends on Romo staying healthy and having another fine year, and the offensive talent is in place for that to happen, and a strong offensive line could keep him upright.

And here’s the nightmare scenario: If the offense slips a little, it'll be bad. Remember, Dallas scored 439 points last year and that was only good enough for 8-8. And the defense appears to be worse this year. The last time the Cowboys lost more than 11 games was Jimmy Johnson's first year as coach, in 1989. If the defense is as bad as it looks, and the offense slips a little, losing more than 11 games isn't out of the question.

The crystal ball says: No matter how many times I look at the defense, the only way I see major turnaround is if Rod Marinelli's schemes just click. And he is a very talented defensive coordinator, so maybe. Or if youngsters like Claiborne, linebacker DeVonte Holloman, safety J.J. Wilcox and rookie defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence all break out this year. But there's just not a lot of blue-chip players on that defense. And I worry about Romo, who is coming off another very good season but has a lot of health questions now. I have nothing against Dallas. The league is more interesting when the Cowboys are good (and goodness gracious, we're going to be seeing a lot of them on prime time no matter if they're great or horrendous). I just see this as the year things bottom out in Big D. I think I might look back at the end of the season and see that the preseason ranking was too high.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Maybe it's too late to jump on the Terrance Williams bandwagon. The second-year receiver had 736 yards and five catches
I'm sure that's a misprint. I am sure the author means "five TD catches."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This league is so average right now that with some injury luck (for us and against our opponents) we could easily be 10-6 or so. This offense should be absolutely elite. And we don't play many great QBs this year. So we could easily make the playoffs.

But I can see where the wheels could easily come off, too.

I have this nagging fear we get some luck, get off to a decent start, and Jerry gives Garrett an extension. :Emo

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This league is so average right now that with some injury luck (for us and against our opponents) we could easily be 10-6 or so. This offense should be absolutely elite. And we don't play many great QBs this year. So we could easily make the playoffs.

But I can see where the wheels could easily come off, too.

I have this nagging fear we get some luck, get off to a decent start, and Jerry gives Garrett an extension.
You make some good points. In this age of parity where most all teams are mediocre and there are very few elite ones, a Dallas could jump up out of nowhere and have a 13-3 season like Parcells' first year was.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
In this age of parity where most all teams are mediocre and there are very few elite ones, a Dallas could jump up out of nowhere and have a 13-3 season

Unfortunately that's been Jerra's "strategy" the past few years rather than, you know, actually improving.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just think I'm doing myself a disservice to keep supporting something that pisses me off/makes me miserable every Sunday, especially if Jerry keeps doing the exact same things after so many years of coming up short. I don't think my fandom has any effect on any of you , the team, or anything like that. Just for my own mental health, at that point (re-upping Garrett), I really think I'm done.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I stopped going to the games or buying the swag. It helps alot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Let's face it, none of us will just suddenly quit liking or following the Dallas Cowboys. Maybe eventually over time we'll just lose interest but we're not gonna wake up one day and quit. So let's just go ahead and stop making the tiring jon88 threats.

I mean we post on a message board for fucks sake. Our fandom is on another level. This shit is weird.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
As far as this article goes, I think he was a little hard on us. We still have this offense to keep us in it. And if anything, it will be better with a more improved oline. The defense was horrible last year and couldn't stop shit.. I don't see how it could be any worse.

The thing I see affecting our final record the most is how much more improved the rest of the division is. We were 5-1 last year. I don't see that happening again.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
As far as this article goes, I think he was a little hard on us. We still have this offense to keep us in it. And if anything, it will be better with a more improved oline. The defense was horrible last year and couldn't stop shit.. I don't see how it could be any worse.

The thing I see affecting our final record the most is how much more improved the rest of the division is. We were 5-1 last year. I don't see that happening again.

For a team with dogshit D this bad, we will need to have a division finish like that to contend.

Otherwise you are looking at a 5-6 win season. There are only what amounts to four "gimmie" games outside of the division. I don't see any way we beat the Niners, Seahawks or Cardinals at this point.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just don't understand this logic.

Don't really have a problem with the logic.

The odds of having a historical terri-bad D like that again is fairly slim. So the statement is not crazy.

But that does not mean it will improve enough for anyone to notice the difference.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
but it was so bad it can't be worse does not mean it will be better.

Being just as bad or almost as bad still sucks.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Last year's squad was the worst ranked defense in franchise history. Now, they are minus DeMarcus Ware, Jason Hatcher, and Sean Lee.

I'm with all of you, I hope the defense plays way better.

"Hope" can't be the FO's key strategy though.

Reaction score
Well we ranked 32nd in the league last season. Still 32 teams in the league, breh.
If we give up 100 more points this season that would definitely be worse, even if we were ranked 31st in the league.

Top Bottom