SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Per NFLN,ESPN

Sam Bradford
's promising preseason has been short-circuited.

The Rams' starting quarterback left Saturday night's 33-14 win over the Cleveland Browns after injuring his left knee on a first-quarter incompletion. Bradford waswrapped up by Armonty Bryant on a play that saw veteran left tackle Jake Long beaten off the edge.
Bradford crouched on the field in pain before limping off toward the locker room with a pair of team trainers. The fifth-year signal-caller finished the game having completed 4 of 9 passes for 77 yards.
Rams coach Jeff Fisher was "very optimistic" after the game, saying "it appeared just to be a hyperextension."
A Rams source tells NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that the first tests on Bradford's knee were inconclusive and Bradford underwent an MRI on Sunday. He's undergoing more tests now, and Fisher is expected to update Bradford's status during a 6:30 p.m. ET news conference.
Coming off ACL surgery on that same knee, Bradford showed well last week against the Packersbefore marching the Rams down the field against the Browns on the team's opening drive. After Bradford exited, Shaun Hill stepped in to lead St. Louis to a field goal.
Bradford started just seven games last year before suffering aseason-ending knee injury against the Carolina Panthers inWeek 7. Losing him again would equal a devastating blow for this middling St. Louis offense.
It's been an ugly night all around for the Rams.
Starting offensive lineman Rodger Saffold left the game later in the first quarter with an apparent right ankle injury. In the second quarter, cornerback Trumaine Johnson and defensive tackle Michael Brockers also got hurt. While Brockers walked off under his own power, Johnson needed to be carted off after colliding with a teammate.
UPDATE: A team source tells Rapoport that Bradford is believed to have torn his ACL and will miss the 2014 season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
sucks for him. now watch us lose at St Louis anyway.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
sneaky bastard. you just wanna open up a roster spot for your boy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
sneaky bastard. you just wanna open up a roster spot for your boy.
Someone in the game thread was suggesting we trade Weeden and dump Haney, and go with just Romo and Vaughan on the final 53.

No way that happens of course - Weeden is this year's insurance policy.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Might be a team interested in a Weeden deal?

The Rams should take a look at Weeden or Mallett, any QB that can give them a chance. Bradford's career is all but over. His body can't take the pounding from pro football. Orton may be an option as well. The Rams have out together some talent, but it doesn't matter if they have no QB. Trading Weeden would insure your boy makes the team and at least he has some upside and a future. Weeden is too old for having a future on this team. Neither of the backup QBs will make much of a difference if Romo goes down.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Knock that shit off. We're not trading Weeden. We won't get shit for him.

Brady Quinn or Orton might be options for them. Shit, maybe even Tebow. Possibly trade for Sanchez in Philly.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking Orton, if he isn't so loaded that he's destroyed his liver function might be of real interest to them.

Brady Quinn cant play, and neither can Ryan Mallett

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm thinking Orton, if he isn't so loaded that he's destroyed his liver function might be of real interest to them.

Brady Quinn cant play, and neither can Ryan Mallett

Quinn has had his chance and failed. There is no way to know what Mallet can do after sitting behind Brady for all these years. IIRC , it was Smayock that was in the Pats camp a couple weeks ago and said Mallett was better than many starters in the league. He is a total unknown right now. You can judge him from his college days, but that is not really fair.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Quinn has had his chance and failed. There is no way to know what Mallet can do after sitting behind Brady for all these years. IIRC , it was Smayock that was in the Pats camp a couple weeks ago and said Mallett was better than many starters in the league. He is a total unknown right now. You can judge him from his college days, but that is not really fair.

Mallett's been utterly and completely outplayed by a rookie, he might not even make the Pats team

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Someone in the game thread was suggesting we trade Weeden and dump Haney, and go with just Romo and Vaughan on the final 53.

No way that happens of course - Weeden is this year's insurance policy.

That would be me.

Weeden is insurance for what? Would the team win more with Weeden? Yes, that's not the point. The point is its doubtful he'd win enough to get to the playoffs (it's doubtful Romo does) and so winning 4 games or winning 6 or 7, it doesn't matter.

Weeden can't replace Romo and Romo just barely keeps the team in it. Without Romo it's time to start planning for next year. Get a draft pick, move up in the draft and find out if Vaughan has anything.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
That would be me.

Weeden is insurance for what? Would the team win more with Weeden? Yes, that's not the point. The point is its doubtful he'd win enough to get to the playoffs (it's doubtful Romo does) and so winning 4 games or winning 6 or 7, it doesn't matter.

Weeden can't replace Romo and Romo just barely keeps the team in it. Without Romo it's time to start planning for next year. Get a draft pick, move up in the draft and find out if Vaughan has anything.

Here's the problem: Jerry doesn't think like this. We almost won the East the last three years, so we're close. Anything can happen. He's not gonna wave the white flag and deprive this team of a veteran backup, because AT&T stadium would be a ghost town if Romo went down and Vaughan started taking snaps.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Knock that shit off. We're not trading Weeden. We won't get shit for him.

Brady Quinn or Orton might be options for them. Shit, maybe even Tebow. Possibly trade for Sanchez in Philly.

The Sanchez thing makes the most sense. He was with Schottenheimer in New York and would know the system.

I do think they are destitute yet, unless Shaun Hill looks worse than he did in Detroit.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Bradford sucks if they bomb and can get a good qb they will be on the up. There D line is legit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Rams should take a look at Weeden or Mallett, any QB that can give them a chance. Bradford's career is all but over. His body can't take the pounding from pro football. Orton may be an option as well. The Rams have out together some talent, but it doesn't matter if they have no QB. Trading Weeden would insure your boy makes the team and at least he has some upside and a future. Weeden is too old for having a future on this team. Neither of the backup QBs will make much of a difference if Romo goes down.
I think that's right in general, but Weeden gives us at least SOME chance. I'm not in favor of trading him unless it some sweet, impossible deal.
That would be me.

I see that, you see that, but as bbgun said - Jerry doesn't see that or even think in those terms, from what we've seen.

But I also agree, you're not really going to get much for a 33 y/o QB who really hasn't done anything.

Reaction score
Their offense is going to be one of the worst in football. They need a lot more than a QB

Why do you think that? They looked pretty good the other night even thought Bradford.

Its a huge loss for them but they are used to not having him in the lineup and i am not sure he is all good to start with.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
He's horrible. Said it when he was drafted.

Where is Shaub? He might be a good fit there short term. I'm sure he was already picked up elsewhere, I just haven't paid attention this year.

Top Bottom