jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I am shopping for a new truck. I know that some of you guys drive cars or SUVs, but I will have to buy a truck. I have always been a PU truck kinda guy and usually bought GMCs or Chevys. I have noticed that the new Dodge trucks have been the Road and Track trucks of the year for the past couple of years. I have also noticed that the price is several thousand dollars cheaper on the Dodge trucks. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Forget about the magazine rankings. Do your due diligence. Test drive, consumer reports, and websites like Cars.com normally have consumer reviews.

I heard that the magazine reviews can be skewed by bribes from automakers and shit. Heard that a long time ago. No clue if true.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I've always been a Mopar man but truly, I have a 1997 Ford F-150 that's paid for and never gives me any trouble, does everything I want to do. I bought it used in 2007. Paid cash. Never looked back. Cheap to insure too.

Can't imagine anyone buying a new vehicle. It's dumb.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I've got an '07 F-150. Bought it used too. Looked like a new truck with around 25K miles on it. I think it was an old guy who just traded in trucks every two years. Knocked about $15k off the original sticker price. As Dooms said, that is the way to do it

Love my truck so far.

Are you getting 4 wheel drive? Probably don't need it down there

Reaction score
Yeah I always by newused. Usually 2-3 years old. The price difference is insane.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
You are better off buying new and just keeping it 2-3 years longer.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I've got an '07 F-150. Bought it used too. Looked like a new truck with around 25K miles on it.
Mine had 111K on it when I bought it. People still today comment on it, they think it is new and a new model, just out. They about fall to the deck when I tell them it is a '97 model.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No truck expert to say the least, but I'd be super wary of Dodge's reliability. I'm sure when new they're as good as anything as far as specs and features, but will they hold up?

My dad has always driven big SUVs, for many years now GMCs. But he's not too happy with this last one and is looking at an Armada, Sequoia, or Expedition. His buddy has had an Aramda for years and had great luck with it, and several buddies of his have Ford PUs that he says are great. Personally I like any of those much more than the GMs.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I go hot rodding around, make beer runs, go muddin' - haul and tow stuff, whatever I want to do in this thing.

MyTruck2.jpg

No payments keeps my wallet fat.

mytruck.jpg

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Financially, that's silly. In depreciation alone.

I know a guy who runs 3-4 crews. He used to buy 4-5 year old trucks and use them for 5 years or so and buy new stock. So essentially he was using 10 year old trucks by the end and had a constant stream of payments.

He was much better off buying new trucks, paying them off in 5 years, and driving them until tey were 10. So for half the time he would be driving newer trucks, and the rest of the time he would be driving for free. Plus he got exactly what he wanted and was not paying for extras

I went looking for a two year old Toyota Tacoma a while back, they were like 28 grand, new ones were 32 and I was able to knock 2000 off that.

Buying used is not always the better financial decision.

Reaction score
Dodge makes a fine automobile...until it's about 4-5 years old. Then expect to replace the radiator and water pump often.

Reaction score
A vehicle with 15-25k on it is basically new. Just make sure it looks like it was taken care of. Vehicles made these days last longer anyways. If you are not getting good deals on used vehicles i suggest better negotiating skills. New vehicles you have less leverage.

That said, i think Ford makes the best trucks.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
A vehicle with 15-25k on it is basically new. Just make sure it looks like it was taken care of. Vehicles made these days last longer anyways. If you are not getting good deals on used vehicles i suggest better negotiating skills. New vehicles you have less leverage.

That said, i think Ford makes the best trucks.
New vehicles are far easier to get a deal on. As far as price. Find out invoice and find out hold back and most dealers will take $500 profit for their vehicles in order to boost sales numbers and lower their purchase point on future buys.

If you are gettin bigger discounts on your used vehicles it is only because of the huge mark up they already have in it. A dealer won't take $500 profit on a good used car because he can't automatically get another.

Tabascocat

Spectator
Reaction score
Dodge makes a fine automobile...until it's about 4-5 years old. Then expect to replace the radiator and water pump often.

Those and everything else. When my Jeep is done, I will never buy a Chrysler product again. That company got worse when all of these technological advances started happening, they suck really bad in the electrical/computer areas.

I love the new Dodge trucks but plan on getting rid of it within 5-6 years....if not, then go Ford IMO.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
The last person to post a picture of themselves on here was Jon88 and we all know how that ended... RIP.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
A dealer won't take $500 profit on a good used car because he can't automatically get another.

Tis true.
Used to do some book work for my nephew's car lot,and the profits they made on clean auction house cars(and some trades) is amazing.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Forget about the magazine rankings. Do your due diligence. Test drive, consumer reports, and websites like Cars.com normally have consumer reviews.

I heard that the magazine reviews can be skewed by bribes from automakers and shit. Heard that a long time ago. No clue if true.
That makes a lot of sense. I am sure that the auto-maker that spends the most money on ads gets special consideration when they write the auto reviews.

Top Bottom