superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That appears to be the case.

I don't know what the hell happened to this guy, but he used to be a lot smarter.
Its an argument of phrasing. Mid wants to phrase Welkers rejection of NEs offer as New England letting him "walk", as though they didn't even attempt to retain him. Which is what letting him walk means. The term searched for is, the Patriots were "outbid".

Iow suck a dick, Alex.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
So what? We already know they will flush Free's turd. It will still bubble up and Jerry will be rattling the handle for the next few years.

boy, you can really paint a picture with words

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Its an argument of phrasing. Mid wants to phrase Welkers rejection of NEs offer as New England letting him "walk", as though they didn't even attempt to retain him. Which is what letting him walk means. The term searched for is, the Patriots were "outbid".

Iow suck a dick, Alex.

The Patriots were not "outbid".

They actually gave Welker an offer that paid him more up front and he refused to take the bait and went to a Denver contract that probably had more potential dead money in it.

In other words, the Patriots were smart...and the Broncos were dumb. Welker will not be playing in 2015. The Broncos will be paying for his old ass just like they will for Manning, who I think is done within two years as well.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
boy, you can really paint a picture with words

Tell me you can't see Jerry looking puzzled when his corn-riddled turd does not go down and he rattles the handle in stupidity like it will make a difference.

You can't.

It is a perfect picture to how he does football business.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
To be fair, I think Denver feels like they can win now. So, I don't feel that move was dumb, just risky.

Doesn't mean NE was dumb for dumping him, tho.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
out·bid *(out-bd)
tr.v. out·bid, out·bid·den (-bdn) or out·bid, out·bid·ding, out·bids
To bid higher than: We outbid our rivals at the auction.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. You can speculate why til you're blue in the face from suckin on that aforementioned D.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
We took Roy Williams from Detroit using a 1st, 3rd, and 6th. We outbid everyone on the market.

We won? Or did Detroit make a good move?

Your argument is invalid.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Tell me you can't see Jerry looking puzzled when his corn-riddled turd does not go down and he rattles the handle in stupidity like it will make a difference.

You can't.

It is a perfect picture to how he does football business.

oh I dunno. what with the "glory hole" comment, it seems like he has a lot of bathroom experience.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can say this team isn't cap constrained and facing some real potential issues down the road. This team has literally exhausted almost every potential option for cap relief available to them. They are down to just a handful of moves for cap flexibility.

And I don't think they sign anyone else of note this offseason. At least they won't if they are smart since they have Dez and Lee coming up for a new contract soon. Take whatever you have left and roll it over into next year to help with that problem. You certainly can't count on the cap rising with this new CBA and I think that is a large reason why the market is so depressed this year.

Mid has made a good point a few times that no one really wants to address. Why does a Cowboys restructure always involved signing bonus money and an extension instead of a straight reduction in pay?

As far as teams like the Ravens and Steelers having cap problems.....I'd expect that. The cycle is going to have to be a mode of building up to try to make that run and then take your medicine for a year or two to start building back up again.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Hell, for that matter, we have wasted like 6 1st round picks in the last 10 years.

OUTBID!

Reaction score
Spk92 said:

If a team has the means financially to keep a player, and can fall back on the franchise tag, but choose not to, then let the guy walk.

Tell me Welker wasn't worth the 11.4 million his franchsie tag would cost, and I won't argue. That isn't the point though.

The point is that the team COULD HAVE done it, but chose not to.

Therefore, they let him walk.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It is absolutely hilarious that you want to peg me for being unyielding on this and them you turn around and do the exact same thing. Whatever.

Reaction score
It's because you are/were wrong, and was either blatantly lying, or arguing while talking out of your ass.

It's absolutely hilarious that you can't concede that.

MUST!

PROTECT!

INTERNET!

EGO!

Angrymesscan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
True. It's just semantics at this point. Midswat wants to frame it the way it fits his argument. He might actually be right, but it's still just a guess. All we have is the reality of what happened - the Patriots made the best offer they could, or what they thought fair value was - and Welker rejected it in favor of Denver.

I just try to point out that almost every team with a successful, high dollar QB is in the same cap boat as us. They may be more or less successful, but they're having the same money problems we are. So it's time to stop pretending we're the only team that has to massage the cap every year to compete financially.

I know I'm late to this but doesn't this say all that is needed? They thought he was worth that ammount, he thought he was worth more so he walked away and they let him walk. Does Superpunk think that Welker preffered the 2/12mill that he got over a 5/31mill like Amendola got? Because they obviously could have given Welker the Amendola deal if they thought he was worth it.

Top Bottom