Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Parcells didn't accomplish much of anything without Belichick, whereas Belichick has been to 5 super bowls with Tom Brady.

I fixed it for you. You can point out how BP never went to a SB without Bellichick but Belichick never went to a SB without Brady.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He didn't build the Giants or the Patriots. He pretty much had total control with the NYJ, but only made the playoffs once there.

So George Young was a drafting guru when Parcells was around and he stank the minute he left? Got it. And do we even know who the GM was for the Pats during BP's tenure in New England?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Sam Jankovich was still there

I had to look it up. Kraft over ruled BP and went with Bobby Grier's recommendation. Funny thing is that BP moved/promoted Grier to the front office. Yeah, he didn't build those teams.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
You can certainly argue that for Parcells pay and profile, he was a failure. Hired gun looking for a pay check? Absolutely.

However -

Ware - 4x All Pro, 6x Pro Bowler
Witten - 2x All Pro, 7x Pro Bowler
Ratliff - 1x All Pro, 4x Pro Bowler
Romo - 3x Pro Bowler
McBriar - 2x All Pro, 2x Pro Bowler
Austin - 2x Pro Bowler
Newman - 2x Pro Bowler
Barber - 1x Pro Bowler

All drafted/brought in, coached and developed under Parcells.

Pro Bowlers/All Pro drafted and developed post-Parcells:
Nick Folk - 1x All Pro, 1x Pro Bowl
Mike Jenkins - 1x Pro Bowl
Spencer - 1x Pro Bowl

Plus 10-6 with a retarded QB and a retarded RB.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Parcells was the architect of a partial turnaround.

He took a team that was essentially hopeless and turned it into a mediocre team with a potentially promising future.

The only guarantee you get with a disciplinarian is he will create a culture for you. He will do it by yelling, cajoling, bullying, whatever. It's not assured that he will be able to spot and secure talent for your roster.

Isn't that what Jimmy's downfall was? Like Parcells he was a great creator of culture. A disciplinarian if you will, but his time in Miama lacking the blockbuster Herschel Walker trade to load his talent gun with bullets he was unable to build the kind of roster needed to push the Dolphins over the top.

Yelling, cajoling, bullying...what's that good for? Maybe two or three years before everyone is tired of your crap. If you go down that road and you don't get consistent results/road mileage eventually people start leaving the bus.

Reaction score
Oh. We're back to the Parcells was a great team builder thing again.

k

Now tell me again how Parcells was handicapped here because we had such a dumb team. That he built.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I bet in 2034 people will still be getting stirred up by Parcells threads... LOL

But yeah, Mid. I love how people say Parcells built this Superbowl contender... That he couldn't even win a playoff game with.

Apparently they only became super-talented the day he left.

And doesn't Miami kind of answer the question about his GMing? No Jerry to blame there... 100% control over everything.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great hire, a tremendous hire. But what he did here gets exaggerated by some people.

Reaction score
I bet in 2034 people will still be getting stirred up by Parcells threads... LOL

But yeah, Mid. I love how people say Parcells built this Superbowl contender... That he couldn't even win a playoff game with.

Apparently they only became super-talented the day he left.

And doesn't Miami kind of answer the question about his GMing? No Jerry to blame there... 100% control over everything.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great hire, a tremendous hire. But what he did here gets exaggerated by some people.

Agreed.

Glad we hired him. He did a lot of good here. But his impact here is grossly overrated.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We had gone 5-11 for the past 3 seasons and our roster was a joke.

We definitely wouldn't have gotten Romo had we not hired him. Who knows who we'd have at QB and where we would be. I have a feeling in a much worse place. I'm really glad he came here. I'm just sorry we hired Wade Phillips after he left.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
The only guarantee you get with a disciplinarian is he will create a culture for you. He will do it by yelling, cajoling, bullying, whatever. It's not assured that he will be able to spot and secure talent for your roster.

Isn't that what Jimmy's downfall was? Like Parcells he was a great creator of culture. A disciplinarian if you will, but his time in Miama lacking the blockbuster Herschel Walker trade to load his talent gun with bullets he was unable to build the kind of roster needed to push the Dolphins over the top.

Yelling, cajoling, bullying...what's that good for? Maybe two or three years before everyone is tired of your crap. If you go down that road and you don't get consistent results/road mileage eventually people start leaving the bus.

On the other end, there was Wade and he treated and trusted his players like they were
adults. How did that work out? I would much rather have a coach that stays on the
players and
makes them fear for their jobs.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh. We're back to the Parcells was a great team builder thing again.

k

Now tell me again how Parcells was handicapped here because we had such a dumb team. That he built.

So how are we doing now? I don't know how anyone can argue the guy completely changed the roster, the scouting department and the overall way we do business. He transformed the whole organization. I was so sick of 5 and 11 and no hope with QC at the helm that I don't underestimate what the man did.

The worst move our resident football dolt could have made was hiring Wade Phillips. Absolutely the wrong guy to continue with the foundation that had been built and the results show. BP was right when he left that after a couple of year, no one would remember he was even here.

And Middy, if I want to read that drivel your posting, I can go elsewhere. I don't expect it from you here so ship up and get with the program.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can certainly argue that for Parcells pay and profile, he was a failure. Hired gun looking for a pay check? Absolutely.

However -

Ware - 4x All Pro, 6x Pro Bowler
Witten - 2x All Pro, 7x Pro Bowler
Ratliff - 1x All Pro, 4x Pro Bowler
Romo - 3x Pro Bowler
McBriar - 2x All Pro, 2x Pro Bowler
Austin - 2x Pro Bowler
Newman - 2x Pro Bowler
Barber - 1x Pro Bowler

All drafted/brought in, coached and developed under Parcells.

Pro Bowlers/All Pro drafted and developed post-Parcells:
Nick Folk - 1x All Pro, 1x Pro Bowl
Mike Jenkins - 1x Pro Bowl
Spencer - 1x Pro Bowl

Plus 10-6 with a retarded QB and a retarded RB.

I've said it before Junk, this is/was a great post and puts what BP did here into perspective. Hell, we couldn't even find a long snapper before he got here. Either that or Jerry undervalued the position. Add it Canty, Colombo, a regenerated Adams and Gurode, Kosier, Bennett, Brady James, Terry Glenn, Arron Glenn in the slot (all solid contributors) and you add a lot of depth which is something we severely lack. And I'm sure I missed a couple of guys.

Reaction score
Oh.... okay.... built a great team here!

Then why couldn't he win?

Oh... because he built the great team with stupid players.

Guys... no one is saying he was bad for the franchise. Hell... he was the only credible football mind Jerry has hired, really.

But that doesn't mean you have to overrate what he did here. Because quite frankly, what he did wasn't that impressive.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Oh.... okay.... built a great team here!

Then why couldn't he win?

Oh... because he built the great team with stupid players.

Guys... no one is saying he was bad for the franchise. Hell... he was the only credible football mind Jerry has hired, really.

But that doesn't mean you have to overrate what he did here. Because quite frankly, what he did wasn't that impressive.
Considering that Jerry was still involved, what he did was impressive. I think he was too conservative much of the time and it kept the team from winning more games, but he built a core group of players that Dallas still has in place. At least Tuna had the team playing physical football. It was.much better than the finesse crap that the team has become.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
On the other end, there was Wade and he treated and trusted his players like they were
adults. How did that work out? I would much rather have a coach that stays on the
players and
makes them fear for their jobs.

The criticism I have for Parcells is rude behavior does not equate to accountability.

For some reason Landry was able to run the team for many years without the histrionics we saw during Bill's years.

Bill's dog and pony show led up to the cesspool of watching Wade Phillips in a club singing YMCA.

We need a good, strong coach who can lead a team for more than three years. The coaching carousel leaves only one voice to lead the team and the results speak for itself.

Reaction score
Considering that Jerry was still involved, what he did was impressive. I think he was too conservative much of the time and it kept the team from winning more games, but he built a core group of players that Dallas still has in place. At least Tuna had the team playing physical football. It was.much better than the finesse crap that the team has become.

Yeah, i agree personnel improved underhim. But he was a liability on gameday, just like pretty much every other coach Jerry has hired.

And despite the improved personnel, the team still hasn't been able to win a damned thing.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
The criticism I have for Parcells is rude behavior does not equate to accountability.

For some reason Landry was able to run the team for many years without the histrionics we saw during Bill's years.

Bill's dog and pony show led up to the cesspool of watching Wade Phillips in a club singing YMCA.

We need a good, strong coach who can lead a team for more than three years. The coaching carousel leaves only one voice to lead the team and the results speak for
itself.
Have you ever played the game? The reason I ask is to know how many different
coaching styles you have been exposed to. Tuna was not that hard on his players. I
have played for several that was much worse. The harder the coach, the more he got
out of his players.

Landry was in a league of his own. He was not well liked and he was very strict. The
players feared him, but respected him. If he had a weak point, it was his lack of emotion. I can remember his teams would sometimes be totally flat in certain games and that was due to his lack of emotion. His teams reflected his coaching style.

The worse coach I played for was like Wade. Several players quit on him too.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Umm. We didn't win big because we didn't have a qb till the end.

It took a while to build the team. It was finally built and ready To go in 06 Bledsoe was poor from the start.

It's amazing this cant be understood.

Reaction score
Umm. We didn't win big because we didn't have a qb till the end.

It took a while to build the team. It was finally built and ready To go in 06 Bledsoe was poor from the start.

It's amazing this cant be understood.

Sounds like excuse making to me. Guess it was someone elses idea to pass on Delhome, bring in Testeverde, and then Bledsoe.

Okay, so he needed a QB. Gotcha. Who's idea was it to play that passive, scared, gameplan against a depleted Seattle secondary that Rex Grossman destroyed the next week?

Edit: Almost forgot... pass on Aaron Rodgers twice.

Top Bottom