Reaction score
Thought I'd share this article since everyone here agrees that Parcells and Romo are the only reasons that this organization is even relevant anymore. Such a baller coach.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9183307/bill-parcells-career-arc/

I'm a Cowboys fan, and Parcells came onto my radar on September 15, 2003. He almost didn't make it. The year before, Parcells had nearly taken the Tampa job again. "This was the last job I will ever consider," he told Peter King after he turned it down. Twelve months later, Parcells was sitting next to Jones, vowing they could work together.

The idea of Parcells returning to Giants Stadium on Monday Night Football was too good to pass up, so my friend Matt and I bought our way into the game. Just as we got to our seats, Quincy Carter threw a pick-six. It seemed like it was going to be that kind of night. When the Giants kicked a field goal to go up 32-29 with 11 seconds left, Matt and I left. I'm not sure why. Maybe we didn't appreciate how a team with Parcells as its lama could perform miracles. We got to the parking lot and noticed other fans had gathered around portable TVs. The Giants' kickoff had gone out of bounds. Carter completed a pass — a miracle in itself — to Antonio Bryant. Billy Cundiff kicked a field goal and sent the game into OT.

With that, Matt and I turned around and ran back toward Giants Stadium. The guard told us we couldn't reenter, sorry, it didn't matter how good the game was. So Matt and I looked at each other and then blew by the guy, running through the concourse and back to our seats. The Cowboys went on to win, 35-32. It's one of the top-10 games I've ever attended.

Let me give you the starting offense Parcells put on the field that year:

QB: Quincy Carter
RB: Troy Hambrick
FB: Richie Anderson
WR: Terry Glenn
WR: Joey Galloway
TE: Dan Campbell
LT: Flozell Adams
LG: Larry Allen
C: Matt Lehr
RG: Andre Gurode
RT: Ryan Young

That team went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Parcells was 62 when he took the Dallas job. But he was freshly divorced, and the whole thing had the whiff of a midlife crisis. Parcells was dying his hair blond. He was pulling his shorts up high so they covered his gut. Dallas sportswriters didn't like him at all. They sensed, correctly, that Parcells had no reverence for The Job That Landry Built. When Michael Lewis visited Parcells for a Play magazine profile, he noted that the personal items in Parcells's office consisted of a binder with football materials, a binder with a copy of his divorce settlement, and three elephant figures, which he regarded as lucky charms. It had gotten easier than ever to quit.

By this point, the Parcells Method had been so thoroughly discussed (by him), written about (ditto), and imitated (by Belichick, Tom Coughlin, and others) that it felt strangely postmodern. You could sing along with the insults. On portly safety Roy Williams: "He's just a biscuit away from being a linebacker." To Glenn … who'd miraculously forgiven Parcells and come to Dallas in a trade: "My little honeybunch got a little bursitis on her knee!" (Her?!)

What the local media didn't get was that Parcells was the perfect coach for the Cowboys. He was the first giant talent Jones had hired since Jimmy Johnson. Moreover, the Jones-Johnson creative tension was back. Parcells lived for the unglamorous part of roster-building, like finding tackle Marc Colombo and bringing back Drew Bledsoe. Jones lived for the signings that got Ed Werder out of bed, like Terrell Owens. Here's the lineup Parcells had in his last season:

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Julius Jones (plus Marion Barber)
WR: Terrell Owens
WR: Terry Glenn
WR: Patrick Crayton (plus Miles Austin)
TE: Jason Witten
LT: Flozell Adams
LG: Kyle Kosier
C: Andre Gurode
LG: Marco Rivera
RT: Marc Colombo

"You can't call them losers anymore," Parcells declared at one point. I think he almost got choked up.

Parcells took the '06 Romo team to the playoffs and lost on a fumbled snap. After that, he only had one year left on his contract. Who could guess what would happen next? This time, Parcells quit via e-mail. Wade Phillips replaced him and won 13 games the next season.

Parcells didn't leave football. He teased the Falcons one more time, then became executive vice-president of football operations for the Dolphins. During his first year, another crappy team, led by Chad Pennington, improved by 10 wins and won the AFC East. His hires in Miami didn't work out: Jeff Ireland, Tony Sparano (the new Al Groh). At age 70, there was one tease left. After Sean Payton was suspended for Bountygate, Payton asked Parcells to serve as interim coach of the Saints. But Parcells said no. "I've been out quite a while now," he explained. He'd been out less than two seasons.

I never dug Parcells's bullying, his insults, though I acknowledge they got results. But I'll defend Parcells's career arc to the death. Parcells made decisions based on two factors: (1) his own minute-to-minute spiritual happiness, and (2) the money. Both factors are extremely valid, no matter what any sportswriter says. We fans tend to think of loyalty only as something a coach should give to an owner and the fans. Thanks to George Young, Parcells learned early on that this is nonsense.

Parcells allows us to imagine a hypothetical career arc, too. Imagine the '91 Parcells Falcons, the '02 Parcells Bucs … the '12 Saints with a real coach, a defensive guru to fill the void left by Gregg Williams, and a little of the Parcells magic. It's no wonder Payton thought he was perfect. Bill Parcells was an absolutely genius coach and he would have had no inclination to keep the job.

Reaction score
the '12 Saints with a real coach, a defensive guru to fill the void left by Gregg Williams

Parcells is not a defensive guru anymore.

Lions. Laughing at us. Calling our schemes predictable.

Parcells lining up in a base 3-4 against spread offenses saying we won't allow offenses to dictate what we do, and having Ware cover slot receivers.

Defensive genius 20 years ago? Affirmative.

Not at all anymore though.

Reaction score
That 2003 Giants game was incredible.

Hell... the first 10 games of that 2003 season was the best part of Parcells tenure.

Reaction score

Parcells lining up in a base 3-4 against spread offenses saying we won't allow offenses to dictate what we do, and having Ware cover slot receivers.

I have a project for you, amigo.

Step 1--> Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Step 2 --> Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Step 3 --> Pull it out and take a long look at it with your beady little eyes

The hole that's remaining is a measure of how relevant your post is.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a project for you, amigo.

Step 1--> Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Step 2 --> Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Step 3 --> Pull it out and take a long look at it with your beady little eyes

The hole that's remaining is a measure of how relevant your post is.

I cant believe you are still pumping that Parcells sex doll. As much as you have used it I would have thought it was worn out by now.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
That 2003 Giants game was incredible.

Hell... the first 10 games of that 2003 season was the best part of Parcells tenure.

Parcells said his schtick tended not to last. Players eventually tire of him and his bullying ways and he warned Jerry of this.

He reminds me a lot of Mike Keenan in the NHL. Join a team have great success in your first two years when the players, due to their own ineptness (suckitude), are willing to listen to you.

Stand behind the bench scream at fans, shove coaches, swear at your players, challenge other team's players to fights and by season three they stop responding to you. In season four the owner has had enough of your antics and you are fired. The fans, players and media are ready to run you out of town by then. Your lousy record has finally given them a chance to even the score with you on your heavy handed ways. What goes around comes around so to speak.

In season five they make a run deep into the playoffs with another coach.

Disciplinarians are great short term "turnaround" artists, but at some point you have to have much more than cursing and shoving to be an effective head coach. Eventually most of the players will just close their ears and tune you out.

Its one of the reasons why Tom (Colonel) Coughlin has supposedly softened his stance on players since he first entered the league with the Jags. Great run early and then he was run out of Jacksonville and the players slagged the heck out of him.

Even the great Belichick got run out of Cleveland and there was no love loss between him, the players, the fans and the media in Cleveland.

Parcells was good for a few season, but he did Jerry a favour and left before it got sour. Jerry just messed it up by getting us the Pillsbury Doughboy and Poodle Head. A talented squad with a crappy coaching staff. What a waste!

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think Parcells knew exactly what he had; A) a stupid team and B) a severe lack of talent all the way around.

He was going to play conservative on both offense and defense and hoped to keep the game close and give them a chance to win in the 4th quarter. Of course, it backfired against Seattle and BP was just too stubborn to change.

Unfortunately, there's no BP left in the NFL with a history of rebuilding teams and taking them to the playoffs. Mark my words, we haven't hit rock bottom.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Parcells knew exactly what he had; A) a stupid team and B) a severe lack of talent all the way around.

He was going to play conservative on both offense and defense and hoped to keep the game close and give them a chance to win in the 4th quarter. Of course, it backfired against Seattle and BP was just too stubborn to change.

Unfortunately, there's no BP left in the NFL with a history of rebuilding teams and taking them to the playoffs. Mark my words, we haven't hit rock bottom.

I think you'll see rock bottom within the next 4 years.

As soon as Romo's escapability erodes, and Witten and Ware are shells of their former selves.

Wait until you don't have the 3 all-timers keeping you from 3-13.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know.

What does that have to do with anything?

You made it a point to say "well once Romo, and Witten and Ware etc etc" the franchise will collapse

Same thing happened in Indy didn't it? It happens with a lot of teams when numerous core players all go out at the same time. It wouldn't be some shocking development that if/when our best core guys are done, that there isn't some drop off.

The hope is they continue to draft well and hopefully find Romo's successor in the next draft or two, so that the team is ready to transition better this time than they were after Aikman went out.

Reaction score

This is what slays me about Parcells fan boys.

Raves about what a great team builder he is and how he built the core of the team.

Raves about how dumb a team we had/have.

So Parcells greatest assett was building dumb teams?

No. His greatest assett was motivating players.

His best successess was when he had great Xs' & O's assistant coaches, and proven GM's picking players for him. There's a reason why the Giants nor the Patriots wanted to give him control of player personnel.

Parcells failed here because (a) idiot GM... (b) outdated schemes and philosophies.

Also, his heart wasn't in it.

Top Bottom