dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree, I don't have a clue how to evaluate players but even I can see he throws high on seemingly every throw, often behind the receiver so it can't be caught in stride and then I noticed he does random stuff like jump up in the air as he's throwing with no one even around him which has to take away from his velocity and accuracy vs setting his feet.

I love the guy in many ways but his passing abilities seem like obvious liabilities at this point in his career

So how do you explain his first 25 games then, Garrett's magnificent coaching ability?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hard to believe the person you are describing also had the greatest rookie QB season ever in the NFL, played perhaps the best postseason game ever by a rookie QB and then followed that up with a strong 8 games to start his 2nd season.

uzaV6q9.png

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree, I don't have a clue how to evaluate players but even I can see he throws high on seemingly every throw, often behind the receiver so it can't be caught in stride and then I noticed he does random stuff like jump up in the air as he's throwing with no one even around him which has to take away from his velocity and accuracy vs setting his feet.

I love the guy in many ways but his passing abilities seem like obvious liabilities at this point in his career

He's got a lot of work to do and I'm not saying he can't do it. But folks are trying to mold their opinions of him into some kind of franchise QB who's accurate. It's all the receivers fault, or the coaching (which I'd agree with to some extent), or the NFL, or the OL, or missing Zeke, etc. He's regressed this year. He's shone his liabilities which caused him to slide to the 4th round. Right now, he's an inaccurate QB with excellent leadership skills (by all accounts). He doesn't practice well and he didn't play well this year. And he plugged Kellen Moore to be his QB coach so his questionable decision making process extends beyond the football field.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So how do you explain his first 25 games then, Garrett's magnificent coaching ability?

You're using the same argument that homers use with Garrett that are slanted by 13 and 3 and 12 and 4 seasons. You've been around long enough to know some QB issues when you see them, primarily lack of accuracy, lack of ability or willingness to go down field and poor pocket awareness. They all reared their ugly head this year.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Its very concerning especially with "attaboy, uber positive jeri" at the helm...he'll marry the team to Dak with huge contract whether they should or not. I hope Dak can improve and justify the looming high contract that could cripple the team for years if they mess that decision up

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're using the same argument that homers use with Garrett that are slanted by 13 and 3 and 12 and 4 seasons. You've been around long enough to know some QB issues when you see them, primarily lack of accuracy, lack of ability or willingness to go down field and poor pocket awareness. They all reared their ugly head this year.

That's not what I am doing at all.

I'm saying his first 25 games are a polar opposite of his last 8, which is 100% true. He didn't get lucky to post the numbers he did for 25 games. Something happened in those last 8. Perhaps all the beatdowns he got took its toll or perhaps he even suffered some type of injury to his throwing arm or shoulder, its definitely possible.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And just for the record, if he has a bad 2018 then in no way, shape or form do I want to see us give him a long term contract with a bunch of guaranteed money.

All I am saying is to date, you cannot disregard all the good of the first 2/3 of his short career and only focus on the last 1/3. He's earned the benefit of a doubt for another year.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How is stating facts equate to this dipshit post you made?

LOL Hey old man, isn't there a sky nearby you should be yelling at?

1mi5bc.jpg

Seriously tho, you're not addressing the obvious point of Daks throwing issues that have been noticeable even during his winning streak. I'm not picking on Dak, he's about the only thing left I love about this team but I don't see how you can't be concerned about the throwing issues that if not improved, will undermine his and the teams ability to win.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL Hey old man, isn't there a sky nearby you should be yelling at?

1mi5bc.jpg

Seriously tho, you're not addressing the obvious point of Daks throwing issues that have been noticeable even during his winning streak. I'm not picking on Dak, he's about the only thing left I love about this team but I don't see how you can't be concerned about the throwing issues that if not improved, will undermine his and the teams ability to win.

He didn't throw the ball the same way those first 25 games as he did the last 8. Please don't try to say he did, when we could all see with our own two eyes that this wasn't the case.

He has to play better than what he finished 2017 doing, he has said that himself. But I still don't think you can discount what happened those first 25 games (and especially his entire 2016 season)

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Please don't try to say he did

Too late, I already did

I noticed the high balls and balls out of the receivers stride from day 1 but chalked it up to Dak protecting the ball and being a rookie. Nobody is perfect amigo, its ok to acknowledge a players flaws, lets just hope he can improve where he needs to because he's by all account a great guy and the kind of person I want QBing the Cowboys

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not what I am doing at all.

I'm saying his first 25 games are a polar opposite of his last 8, which is 100% true. He didn't get lucky to post the numbers he did for 25 games. Something happened in those last 8. Perhaps all the beatdowns he got took its toll or perhaps he even suffered some type of injury to his throwing arm or shoulder, its definitely possible.

I don't think he played particularly well against the Giants or Denver to open the season. He had 8 games this year with under 200 yards passing. He was atrocious this year. He played poorly when Zeke was out.

And now you're throwing a possible injury into the mix as an excuse? Do you even listen to yourself?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He didn't throw the ball the same way those first 25 games as he did the last 8. Please don't try to say he did, when we could all see with our own two eyes that this wasn't the case.

He has to play better than what he finished 2017 doing, he has said that himself. But I still don't think you can discount what happened those first 25 games (and especially his entire 2016 season)

So you're saying he played well against NY, Denver, Washington and LA, off the top of my head? Please man. We're just watching a different game.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too late, I already did

I noticed the high balls and balls out of the receivers stride from day 1 but chalked it up to Dak protecting the ball and being a rookie. Nobody is perfect amigo, its ok to acknowledge a players flaws, lets just hope he can improve where he needs to because he's by all account a great guy and the kind of person I want QBing the Cowboys

Exactly. His issues are plain as day. Can he improve? Do we hope he will improve? Absolutely. But to make every excuse in the book and now throw in a possible injury into that mix is just silly. We shouldn't have to stretch this much to make excuses for our starting QB.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dak went from 1 of the best qb’s under pressure to 1 of the worst in the league under pressure (measured by passer rating).

There are More negative statistics than positive for daks 2017-18 season, whereas 2016-17 was all sugar plums and honey.

But yim and dodger said it already and it is the eye test. Dak airmailed a lot of balls. Fact

Now as to why he was more inaccurate???? That point can certainly be argued: scheme, offensive predictability, hearing footsteps, poor mechanics, etc

I do think that sanchez and romo had a lot to do w daks success and its so infuriating that they let dak go into 2017-18 w just cooper rush and a midget gary busey.

And whatever the impact of the zeke suspension and daks endorsements is, i dont know. But i do think it played a role as well

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So you're saying he played well against NY, Denver, Washington and LA, off the top of my head? Please man. We're just watching a different game.

The numbers speak for themselves dude.

First 8 games, 16 tds, 4 picks, 163/259 63% comp, 7yds per attempt. Those numbers weren't as good as 2016 (esp comp% and yds per attempt) but they are more than acceptable.

The Denver game was utter fail on the entire team (offense and defense). The Rams game we blew a nice big lead after scoring every time we had the ball in the first half.

Again, I stand by what I said. Something happened those last 8 games. Now you can definitely cite the Zeke suspension and Tyron Smith injuries as a major cause on top of whatever Prescott was doing, but I do think it's possible he was playing hurt the 2nd half of the season. he took a tremendous beating in the Atlanta and Philly games. He was sacked 32 times this past yr (the majority of which were the 2nd half of the season) and the amount of pressures/hits on the QB given up by our OL were up vastly this yr as opposed to 2016.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And now you're throwing a possible injury into the mix as an excuse? Do you even listen to yourself?

Well if you watched the games, you know there were a couple plays this yr the 2nd half of the season where he got up after taking a huge hit favoring his arm/wrist/hand. One of them was on a running play where he kept the ball.

Top Bottom