icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
im in awe of a qb who cant drive

i bet you that dak has elite depth perception

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
EPIC level stupidity at CZ on display again with their seemingly monthly rant on "ROMO BETTER THAN AIKMAN!!!!!!!!!"

Please don't invite anybody with that level of ignorance over here.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
EPIC level stupidity at CZ on display again with their seemingly monthly rant on "ROMO BETTER THAN AIKMAN!!!!!!!!!"

But Troy even says Tony is better than him....

SOURCE

"I think Tony already is a better quarterback than I was," Aikman told the Brownsville Herald while in the South Texas town Tuesday for a Wingstop publicity event. "I know how quarterbacks are judged, but as far as his play-making ability and the things that he is capable of doing, he is a far more athletic quarterback, capable of making more plays than I ever was able to."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But Troy even says Tony is better than him....

SOURCE

That's totally Aikman taking the high road, anyone with half a brain knows that. Aikman was NEVER one to be an attention whore or spotlight grabber. He heaped tons of praise on his teammates and coaches his entire career.

And when nobody in the world wanted to support Michael Irvin during his trying times, there was Aikman showing up in court with the guy.

Aikman was EONS better a player than Romo was, and he was a winner who held teammates accountable. from a pure passing standpoint, there's also no comparison. Go look at footage of Aikman throwing lasers all over the field and get back to me on "talent"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
fake news.

News to be taken with a grain of salt.

Aikman would obliterate passing records if he played in todays NFL, where as Romo's career would have ended after a year or two during the times when Troy played.

maxdogg

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That's totally Aikman taking the high road, anyone with half a brain knows that. Aikman was NEVER one to be an attention whore or spotlight grabber. He heaped tons of praise on his teammates and coaches his entire career.

And when nobody in the world wanted to support Michael Irvin during his trying times, there was Aikman showing up in court with the guy.

Aikman was EONS better a player than Romo was, and he was a winner who held teammates accountable. from a pure passing standpoint, there's also no comparison. Go look at footage of Aikman throwing lasers all over the field and get back to me on "talent"
So True !!!
I like Tony but to be honest he couldn't even carry Danny Whites jock.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So True !!!
I like Tony but to be honest he couldn't even carry Danny Whites jock.

Everyone harps on him losing 3 straight championship games, but he was damn close to winning that SF game on the road in 1981 and while nobody remembers, he actually outplayed Montana that day. The Niners had 6 turnovers and Montana had 4 of them.

People also forget his epic postseason games against Atlanta in 1978 (off the bench) and vs Atlanta again in 1980.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Everyone harps on him losing 3 straight championship games, but he was damn close to winning that SF game on the road in 1981
Just one horse collar tackle short. 10 more yards on that pass play to Pearson and we're kicking the game winning FG after a couple of running plays. Of course, fumbling the game away while taking a sack was the real ending. The one....thing..... you couldn't.....do.... He did. Just like Romo actually.

Let's not forget Landry was actively campaigning to Tex to trade Danny - there were problems there and not just the three NFCC game losses. In the '83 draft we tried to get a trade done with Baltimore whereas we'd send White and some starters plus our first and second round pick, to them for the right to draft Elway.

Can you imagine what that would have been like, to have John Elway under center.

But then like dolts, when we couldn't get a response from Baltimore we passed on Dan Marino in that draft, due mostly to the rumors of his "party boy" nature. Imagine had we drafted HIM instead of Jeffcoat that day.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's not forget Landry was actively campaigning to Tex to trade Danny - there were problems there and not just the three NFCC game losses. In the '83 draft we tried to get a trade done with Baltimore whereas we'd send White and some starters plus our first and second round pick, to them for the right to draft Elway.

Can you imagine what that would have been like, to have John Elway under center.

But then like dolts, when we couldn't get a response from Baltimore we passed on Dan Marino in that draft, due mostly to the rumors of his "party boy" nature. Imagine had we drafted HIM instead of Jeffcoat that day.

Yeah I remember the stories. The Elway thing could have changed the 80's a lot, although at that time Gil Brandt's drafts were awful and Elway would have been surrounded by lesser guys eventually, and perhaps never becoming the player he did in Denver. Elway was never a huge fan of Dan Reeves offense in Denver either, and of course it was basically a duplicate of what we were doing under Landry.

Those mid to late 80's were really bad, but it worked out well with us getting Troy and Jimmy in 1989.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Romo's career would have ended after a year or two during the times when Troy played.

I dont see how he would have survived a game or two in an era where players could drill the living shit out of the QB and the receivers

I wish there was some cool place in the afterlife where you could get the team of the 90's back together in their prime and have them play any current team BUT under the old rules and watch the modern players fold like cheap tents

Reaction score

Yea I just responded over there. Don't think people will like it. I'm sorry but I just get sick of the Romo can do no wrong threads and he was better than Troy and Roger. Tony was a good QB who won nothing while he was our QB. That's the sad truth.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea I just responded over there. Don't think people will like it. I'm sorry but I just get sick of the Romo can do no wrong threads and he was better than Troy and Roger. Tony was a good QB who won nothing while he was our QB. That's the sad truth.

Yep

Reaction score
Everyone harps on him losing 3 straight championship games, but he was damn close to winning that SF game on the road in 1981 and while nobody remembers, he actually outplayed Montana that day. The Niners had 6 turnovers and Montana had 4 of them.

People also forget his epic postseason games against Atlanta in 1978 (off the bench) and vs Atlanta again in 1980.

Tony never had one epic playoff game. His best was probably in 2014 but that's about it. Nothing epic about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I dont see how he would have survived a game or two in an era where players could drill the living shit out of the QB and the receivers

I wish there was some cool place in the afterlife where you could get the team of the 90's back together in their prime and have them play any current team BUT under the old rules and watch the modern players fold like cheap tents

That 90's team would have destroyed today's pansy teams. The 49ers from that era would too. Today's NFL is not real football.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tony never had one epic playoff game. His best was probably in 2014 but that's about it.

You could also take out "playoff" and replace it with "big"

There were several big regular season games that he just shit the bed. Those two games to end the 2008 season. He was awful for almost 3 quarters vs NYG in 2011 win or go home game. Horrendous at Washington in 2012 win or go home game.

Romo was a good player, he deserves all sorts of credit for turning himself into a quality NFL player from undrafted free agent. But he was nowhere near one of the alltime greats in league history, and he was nowhere near the likes of Staubach or Aikman as a QB here. He was happy to get paid huge money, be a celebrity, hang out with the guys and play a game for a living. Winning didn't matter to him and it showed up in his comments and actions/body language in many painful losses. He was also more than happy to keep supporting Garrett as the HC here when a QB more committed to winning and the right kind of atmosphere (like a Staubach or Aikman) would have went to Jones and demanded changes.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That 90's team would have destroyed today's pansy teams. The 49ers from that era would too. Today's NFL is not real football.

I think several of the teams from late 80's to early-mid 90's would easily walk over anyone of last 10-15 years. Even teams that failed to win championships in some of those seasons would drub some of the "better" teams today.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nothing epic about it.

epic failure

giphy.gif

Top Bottom