Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Let me ask a question...

I've read a lot of posts saying were giving the fourth round LB the benefit of doubt because of Hitchens and were giving the third round T the benefit of the doubt because how well we've drafted OL.

Hitchens is an anomaly. Only fourth rounder we've hit on in maybe ten years. Can you honestly feel optimistic about our new guy based on an anomaly?

And the OT... Sure we've drafted good/great OL lately but that was with Callahan. A great OL coach who has had a hand in picking OL players every where he's been. He's gone.

Also Tyron, Frederick, & Martin were all first rounders. What mid to late round OL have we really hit on?

Maybe I'm being a Debbie downer because I hate how this draft ended after such a strong start.
Critical thought frowned upon by "real" Cowboys fans.

You ask very good questions but for me I was okay with this draft, but only just. Just kind of ho-hum until that last trade. Still can't wrap my mind around it at all.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Let me ask a question...

I've read a lot of posts saying were giving the fourth round LB the benefit of doubt because of Hitchens and were giving the third round T the benefit of the doubt because how well we've drafted OL.

Hitchens is an anomaly. Only fourth rounder we've hit on in maybe ten years. Can you honestly feel optimistic about our new guy based on an anomaly?

And the OT... Sure we've drafted good/great OL lately but that was with Callahan. A great OL coach who has had a hand in picking OL players every where he's been. He's gone.

Also Tyron, Frederick, & Martin were all first rounders. What mid to late round OL have we really hit on?

Maybe I'm being a Debbie downer because I hate how this draft ended after such a strong start.

I just don't think anyone here or elsewhere knows didly squat when it comes to evaluating players and I'm at the head of that class as probably everyone here knows more about players than I do but compared to the people that do it for a living none of us come close to evaluating on the level they do (which doesn't mean they always get it right because even despite all the work and expertise, its still a damn crap shoot). So getting upset about something at this juncture when none of us have any idea who is gonna be good, bad, great, terrible or whatever is a waste of time and emotion, IMHO.

I know this, they're gonna hit on a few, have a few misses, get a few serviceable guys and maybe, just maybe they walk away with a stud but we won't really know for a year+ so only time will tell.

Philosophically, I feel like the team has changed their approach for the better and it appears to be paying off but I certainly may be making a false assumption here because I have no idea what really goes on behind the scenes at valley ranch.

The only thing I didn't like (and its not that big of a deal, it just irks me) is why the fuck did they have to trade a 6th round pick in 2016 for a TE I highly doubt anyone else was about to grab. Feels like Steven and Jason decided to take a bathroom break and forgot to bring jerri with him and lo and behold, when they come back in the room they catch jerri on the phone sneaking in the trade.

That just reeked of jerri's tunnel vision and desperate reaches of the past. At least he's only doing it in the 7th round now and only wasting 6th round picks. Having said that, he could turn out to be a gem, I don't have a clue. I just don't like trade ups when they aren't necessary or virtual locks to be good players.

Reaction score
yimmyammer said:
I just don't think anyone here or elsewhere knows didly squat when it comes to evaluating players and I'm at the head of that class as probably everyone here knows more about players than I do but compared to the people that do it for a living none of us come close to evaluating on the level they do (which doesn't mean they always get it right because even despite all the work and expertise, its still a damn crap shoot). So getting upset about something at this juncture when none of us have any idea who is gonna be good, bad, great, terrible or whatever is a waste of time and emotion, IMHO.

Absolutely agree with this. We're clueless. The moron posters writing 2k word scouting reports citing the All-22's are clueless. And I'd say even the paid scouts who watch endless amounts of film, interview players coaches etc etc etc.... even they're mostly guessing. Because no matter the talent of the individual, you can't measure two things: Heart, and how a 22 year old will respond to celebrity and ridiculous amounts of cash.

Having said that... certain teams perform better in the draft. Others, not so much. We've been better since 2010 (although 2012 was terrible). So its harder to give those teams with spotty track records the benefit of the doubt.

That, coupled with us all being fans who all love the draft and spend too much time ourselves reading mocks, scouting reports, videos, etc... when we're drafting players none of us have heard of and follow it up reading scouting reports that cite the player as a later round prospect with their "Negatives/Weakness" paragraph being a little too much longer than their "Positives/Strengths" write up, its not hard to understand why we'd get annoyed.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
when we're drafting players none of us have heard of and follow it up reading scouting reports that cite the player as a later round prospect with their "Negatives/Weakness" paragraph being a little too much longer than their "Positives/Strengths" write up, its not hard to understand why we'd get annoyed.

Yes sir, I get it and thats part of being a fan(atic), I've got myself worked up a few times in the past but then I realized how many damn players there are to evaluate and knowing the focus of most evaluations is on the obvious top prospects coupled with the inherent imperfection of it all, just gives me a wait and see attitude.

The last straw for me was probably Mo Claiborne, I figured after giving up those kind of resources, this kid must be a stud but then.....WTF?!?!?

Reaction score
I love what they did because it wasnt filled with alot of flashy players. They keep building the trenches. I am always a homer after the draft because im know my knowledge is limited compared to guys who do this stuff full time. I am willing to give each player a chance before i label them a bust or a bad pick.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Absolutely agree with this. We're clueless. The moron posters writing 2k word scouting reports citing the All-22's are clueless. And I'd say even the paid scouts who watch endless amounts of film, interview players coaches etc etc etc.... even they're mostly guessing. Because no matter the talent of the individual, you can't measure two things: Heart, and how a 22 year old will respond to celebrity and ridiculous amounts of cash.

Just for fun,check this out.
Former No.1 overall picks.

1st Overall Draft Picks

YearPlayerPos.SchoolDrafted By
2013Eric FisherOTCentral MichiganKansas City
2012Andrew LuckQBStanfordIndianapolis
2011Cam NewtonQBAuburnCarolina
2010Sam BradfordQBOklahomaSt. Louis
2009Matt StaffordQBGeorgiaDetroit
2008Jake LongOTMichiganMiami
2007JaMarcus RussellQBLSUOakland
2006Mario WilliamsDENorth Carolina StateHouton
2005Alex D. SmithQBUtahSan Francisco
2004Eli ManningQBMississippiSan Diego
2003Carson PalmerQBUSCCincinnati
2002David CarrQBFresno StateHouston
2001Michael VickQBVirginia TechAtlanta
2000Courtney BrownDEPenn StateCleveland
1999Tim CouchQBKentuckyCleveland
1998Peyton ManningQBTennesseeIndianapolis
1997Orlando PaceTOhio StateSt. Louis Rams
1996Keyshawn JohnsonWRUSCN.Y. Jets
1995Ki-Jana CarterRBPenn StateCincinnati
1994Dan WilkinsonDTOhio StateCincinnati
1993Drew BledsoeQBWashington StateNew England
1992Steve EmtmanDTWashingtonIndianapolis
1991Russell MarylandDTMiami (FL)Dallas
1990Jeff GeorgeQBIllinoisIndianapolis
1989Troy AikmanQBUCLADallas
1988Aundray BruceLBAuburnAtlanta
1987Vinny TestaverdeQBMiami (FL)Tampa Bay
1986Bo JacksonRBAuburnTampa Bay
1985Bruce SmithDEVirginia TechBuffalo
1984Irving FryarWRNebraskaNew England

Here's a link to all of them(up to 2013) 1st Overall NFL Draft Picks

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Someone on the doom-n-gloom message board doesn't like the draft? That's crazy!

Reaction score
You've said this ad nauseam. Virtually no one agrees with you. Virtually everyone, except you, believes that the Cowboys intend to make extensive use of the running game in the upcoming season.

Among the rest of us, a main disagreement is whether the OL is so dominant that the running game will continue to be consistent and reliable even if the team uses a collection of what are essentially JAG running backs.

What would you say that extensive use of the running game would be? I don't buy it either. I think Dallas will not average over 28 carries a game by week 10 with Linehan.

Reaction score

Having said that... certain teams perform better in the draft. Others, not so much. We've been better since 2010 (although 2012 was terrible). So its harder to give those teams with spotty track records the benefit of the doubt.

That, coupled with us all being fans who all love the draft and spend too much time ourselves reading mocks, scouting reports, videos, etc... when we're drafting players none of us have heard of and follow it up reading scouting reports that cite the player as a later round prospect with their "Negatives/Weakness" paragraph being a little too much longer than their "Positives/Strengths" write up, its not hard to understand why we'd get annoyed.

But what about the simple positional eye test that not having a very dynamic DT, a developmental QB, a replacement RB, upgrade at CB (when Scandrick, Carr and Claiborne may be unreliable this year) and no deep speed at WR? How about having Will Smith, Jasper Brinkley, Andrew Gazchar, Kyle Wilbur, Hitchins, etc already, how would having those LBs lead to getting 3 more LBs? And despite having 3 rather sufficient TEs, why would that lead to trading away a future pick for a TE when there are much greater empty depth and starter roster spots?

Reaction score
Yeah the run on LB's no question was odd. And the TE trade was mind boggling.

Also hate that our Purdue DE was basically a no effort guy. Thought thats what we wanted, go hard effort guys who loved football.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Also hate that our Purdue DE was basically a no effort guy. Thought thats what we wanted, go hard effort guys who loved football.

well he will be replacing a non effort guy Spencer

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Like omega said, anyone else slightly concerned about cb? We know you need three of them and they always seem to get banged up. What if Jones isn't ready right away -- very likely coming from uconn -- and/or Carr and Scandrick don't make it all year? Who is this year's Sterling Moore?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Let me ask a question...

I think you are overstating Callahan's influence.

1.) Tyron Smith, and Doug Free were all here before Callahan.

2.) Callahan came here in 2012 and was out of here in 2015. So he was here for three seasons. During that time the Cowboys only drafted two OL and both in the 1st round. As most on this board knows, I HATE Garrett. Last year's success hasn't changed that. With that said, Garrett should and would get credit for the acquisition of Fredericks. Way I recall reading was Garrett had a connection with one of the coaches at UWisc, who directed Garrett to Fredericks.

Thing is if you want to give Callahan credit for Fredericks and Martin, you have to give him blame for Bernadeau and Livings, in addition to Callahan gushing over Costa. Truth of the matter is that Frank Pollack deserves most of the credit for the success of the Cowboys' OL. He was the hands-on guy, while Callahan assisted with OC duties, and then was slowly phased out with Linehan coming aboard.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Can't agree with that, Laz. Callahan has had great lines everywhere he's been O-line coach, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

And Callahan is the one who personally went to UW and scouted Frederick while Garrett pouted about passing on Floyd.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Can't agree with that, Laz. Callahan has had great lines everywhere he's been O-line coach, and I don't think that's a coincidence.

And Callahan is the one who personally went to UW and scouted Frederick while Garrett pouted about passing on Floyd.
And suddenly Washington is drafting O-Line help....

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Don't have to agree. It is what it is. And he didn't have great lines everywhere he went. The OL he had in Philly was crap. The OL in Oakland was meh, though they did have a couple of Por Bowlers --- namely Steve Wisnewski, who was already a Pro Bowler and All-Pro BEFORE Callahan arrived. So credit Callahan for Lincoln Kennedy.

On to the Jets. Very good OL. Faneca though was like Wisnewski, an All-Pro and Pro Bowler before Callahan arrived.

Who the fuck directed Callahan to go Wisconsin? And Garrett pouting about passing up Floyd has exactly to do with what? Like most, he probably figured that Fredericks could be had in the 2nd.

Fact is, Pollack was the hands-on with this past season and the season prior. Fuck man! Callahan was up in the booth! How many OL coaches you know are up in the booth? He was more involved with being an OC and fucking things up, hence why they brought in Linehan the following season, and thus demoted. Pollack still was the hands-on guy.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I realize Murray is hard to replace but did we even find a decent substitute for Dwayne Harris?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And suddenly Washington is drafting O-Line help....

Even without Callahan I could have told you that was going to happen. Snyder is envious of Jones, and damn near copies him with every move.

When the Cowboys selected Jason Witten, and all the attention he received in the media... what did the Redskins do? They draft Chris Cooley. And Redskins' fans claimed that Cooley was better than Witten. Which was bullshit.

When the Cowboys selected Roy Williams, and all the attention he received in the media... what did the Redskins do? They draft Sean Taylor. And Redskins' fans claimed that Taylor was better than Williams. Which was bullshit, and the numbers support this. Like Midswat stated, Taylor was canonized after getting shot and killed.

When the Cowboys selected Demarcus Ware, and all the attention he received in the media... what did the Redskins do? They draft Brian Orakpo. And Redskins' fans claimed that Orakpo was better than Ware. Which was bullshit.

Even going back further. Snyder went and got Steve Spurrier, a National College championship-winning coach from a Florida school, in an attempt to replicate another National College championship-winning coach (Johnson) from a Florida school that won Super Bowls (becoming the first to have done so and now is one of two).

How many Cowboys' castoffs- both coaches and players have the Redskins under Snyder gleaned?

This is just the latest. Zach Martin --- the first rookie to ever win All-Pro, a key to the success of the Cowboys OL. There was no OL unit in the entire NFL that garnered as much media attention as the Cowboys' OL.

And so... what did the Redskins do? They overdraft Scherff, and pass on arguably the best player in the draft (Leonard Williams). Scherff is not the 5th best player the draft.

But like all the other times.. Redskins' fans will claim that Scherff is better than Martin. Which will be bullshit.

The selection of Scherff is just a continuation of Snyder literally keeping up with the Jones's.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ugh.

1. I don't think Garrett is the one who "ordered" Callahan to go to Wisconsin, work out Frederick, and give him a great grade comparable to Nick Mangold. I'd think sure the one who told him to go take a look was McClay or Ciskowski or whoever was running scouting that year.

2. Callahan was probably in the booth because he and Garrett didn't get along at all due to Jerry yanking his playcalling duties and handing them to Callahan. (Which BTW was not Callahan's fault.) It's possible to say Pollack will be fine for us while also giving Callahan credit for being a good coach.

3. You're right, I did notice that the Skins drafted both offensive and defensive players this draft. Clearly they were copying the Cowboys, who did the exact same thing the year before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I realize Murray is hard to replace but did we even find a decent substitute for Dwayne Harris?

I think Goodley or Farmer could end up being that guy. Both thsoe guy have return experience.

I think they were about to draft that guy from Nebraska but the Bucs traded up to the spot in front of us and took him.

Top Bottom