JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Based on the film none of these guys excite me. If they move Jones to FS he may be an above average to very good player (they won't move him because they are desperate to cover up previous stupid moves). Gregory is a stoner that could be OK at OLB in 3-4 which we don't run. A 235lb DE that lacks the ability to get off on the snap? Wasted pick. 3rd round, don't know anything about him other than most rated the guy a 4th or 5th.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't even know what to think. Don't follow NCAA that much. Like the positions, but dont care for the idea that Dallas can just rehabilitate everyone and so drafting character concerns is okay.

Reaction score
Seems high risk high reward.

Can't not like the Gregory pick. He could be a game changer.

Jones I like but do worry about.

Hate third rounder. Take a DT like Grady Jarrett or Michael Bennett and build the DL like we did the OL. Instead we take an injury prone swing tackle??

Reaction score
I'm in favor of the high risk, high reward approach ... but in moderation.

The Cowboys have played that card an awful lot lately (McClain, Hardy, Gregory). Too much, I think.

We've all seen it before with the Cowboys -- A team can only take so many distractions before the whole thing goes off the rails.

In the meantime the Cowboys have taken for granted the power running game that fueled the team's success last year. Inexplicably, they've chosen to replace the league's leading rusher with a bucket of spare parts and assume that they won't miss a beat.

The organization is too optimistic for its own good.

Reaction score
I'm in favor of the high risk, high reward approach ... but in moderation.

The Cowboys have played that card an awful lot lately (McClain, Hardy, Gregory). Too much, I think.

We've all seen it before with the Cowboys -- A team can only take so many distractions before the whole thing goes off the rails.

Yeah, I can't help but think of the 2008 team. Came off a strong 2007 season, signed distractions like PacMan, Tank, and already had TO. Then the season fell apart.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's almost like the old Jerry drafts: High reward but high risk. Could bust entirely.

I hate that we're openly drafting for need. Only silver lining is, it seems like other teams are as well... I think that's why we saw all these head scratchers on Friday.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
In the meantime the Cowboys have taken for granted the power running game that fueled the team's success last year. Inexplicably, they've chosen to replace the league's leading rusher with a bucket of spare parts and assume that they won't miss a beat.
Dude, they don't care about that. Run-first isn't in their plans, it's not their preferred identity, and last year was a necessity borne out of Tony's back issues. They don't really, actually believe having a 400 carry, 1800 yard RB is consistent winning football. Did we forget Garrett's idiotic quote? He said words to the effect of "Running the ball might be a hallmark of a championship caliber team." MIGHT be, he said. He doesn't fucking know that it IS a hallmark.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
When Gregory was on Game Changers he weighted closer to 250 so that should help.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think thought experiment mentioned it but whoever did was right. We are gambling so far.

In the 1st, we gambled on Jones' crazy athleticism. His Combine numbers were insane but his game film was mundane.

In the 2nd, we gambled on character. Now, I'd risk the 60th pick on a top 5 talent like Gregory every year. If Gregory busts down the road, I'll still say a late 2nd rounder was worth the risk. Still a gamble though.

In the 3rd, we gambled on our (over)evaluation of a player. I'm sure we'll hear this weekend how the Patriots or Jaguars were "about to draft Green"..Really seems like they could have (should have) traded down a few spots and still got their guy. In the current draft set-up, those late round 3rd's are coveted.

Very good draft so far but Chaz Green was our yearly reminder of who our GM is.

Reaction score
When was he on gamechangers? As in, when was it filmed? And what is his current weight? Is it the 235 as reported, or is that what he weighed last year?

Because if he weighed 250 on gamechangers, which I'd assume was filmed between January and March, and is 235 now, can he not keep weight on?

Reaction score
Dude, they don't care about that. Run-first isn't in their plans, it's not their preferred identity, and last year was a necessity borne out of Tony's back issues. They don't really, actually believe having a 400 carry, 1800 yard RB is consistent winning football. Did we forget Garrett's idiotic quote? He said words to the effect of "Running the ball might be a hallmark of a championship caliber team." MIGHT be, he said. He doesn't fucking know that it IS a hallmark.

You've said this ad nauseam. Virtually no one agrees with you. Virtually everyone, except you, believes that the Cowboys intend to make extensive use of the running game in the upcoming season.

Among the rest of us, a main disagreement is whether the OL is so dominant that the running game will continue to be consistent and reliable even if the team uses a collection of what are essentially JAG running backs.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You've said this ad nauseam. Virtually no one agrees with you. Virtually everyone, except you, believes that the Cowboys intend to make extensive use of the running game in the upcoming season.
And virtually everyone including the pundits, thought Dallas would take a RB early, despite Jerruh's quite clear declarations to the contrary.
Yeah doomsday, shut you cock holster
And shut YOUR dicktrap.
Among the rest of us, a main disagreement is whether the OL is so dominant that the running game will continue to be consistent and reliable even if the team uses a collection of what are essentially JAG running backs.
And in this you'll see their built in excuse for reverting back to Air Coryell, 500 dropbacks.

Reaction score
Seems high risk high reward.

Can't not like the Gregory pick. He could be a game changer.

Jones I like but do worry about.

Hate third rounder. Take a DT like Grady Jarrett or Michael Bennett and build the DL like we did the OL. Instead we take an injury prone swing tackle??

Gregory is a freak. The team needs freaks. His wingspan, huge hands, and anger when he plays are great starting points for his Marinelli Jedi training. The defense needs freaks. The offense needs speed.

More Freaks. More Speed.

More Freak n Speed.

Reaction score
Let me ask a question...

I've read a lot of posts saying were giving the fourth round LB the benefit of doubt because of Hitchens and were giving the third round T the benefit of the doubt because how well we've drafted OL.

Hitchens is an anomaly. Only fourth rounder we've hit on in maybe ten years. Can you honestly feel optimistic about our new guy based on an anomaly?

And the OT... Sure we've drafted good/great OL lately but that was with Callahan. A great OL coach who has had a hand in picking OL players every where he's been. He's gone.

Also Tyron, Frederick, & Martin were all first rounders. What mid to late round OL have we really hit on?

Maybe I'm being a Debbie downer because I hate how this draft ended after such a strong start.

Top Bottom