Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But that kind of ignores the whole part where I said it's obvious we want to replace him no matter what because of the type of player he is.

I mean I fucking hate to say it but he's not an RKG. He's gone. We just couldn't replace him this year.

Because this kind of evaluation is borderline insane.

Even if Dallas absolutely couldn't find a guy, lets say they take a hit at OLB but they are able to go out and get some real players on the OL. Grubbs and a Center.

Is that not worth the hit taken at that position?

I mean, if he's not in the plans, get him the fuck out. Don't cling for the sake of clinging. That money can be used elsewhere.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
But then who do we play at OLB? Butler? Yikes.

Sure. See if he has anything.

Shit, the most delusional of fans have so much confidence in the strength and conditioning coach and new OL coach that all of a sudden Dallas can turn mediocre players from other teams into something worthwhile but there's no confidence in the team developing a player who started in-house?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Gross. I've seen Butler in part time duty and it isn't pretty.

Someone mentioned the OLB class looks really deep next year. I bet that plays into our plan here.

We also didn't see the ability to draft Peterson coming. If we had who knows how differently we play it. Spencer's contract was to buy us time and maybe draft someone else, too an OLB in the first maybe. Then Peterson fell into our laps, and there was no way to replace Spencer at that point.

Can't just look at it in the money vacuum, because that is the least of what it's about IMO.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
the 2013 draft is loaded with 3-4 OLB types.

but so was the 2012 draft.
Bruce Irvin (15th) *a reach I would admit
Quinton Coples (16th)
Melvin Ingram (18th)
Shea McLellin (19th)
Chandler Jones (21st)
Whitney Mercilus (26th)
Nick Perry(28th)
Courtney Upshaw(35th)
Andre Branch (38th)
Vinny Curry (59th)

I think had we let Spencer walk, spent that $8.8 million elsewhere, we would have had a pretty good shot at replacing him through the draft.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
cmd my sources tell me that the plan was to draft his replacement, withdraw the franchise offer since he hadn't signed it and move on. But when Peterson fell in our laps we couldn't pass that up. I'm not guessing.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
cmd my sources tell me that the plan was to draft his replacement, withdraw the franchise offer since he hadn't signed it and move on. But when Peterson fell in our laps we couldn't pass that up. I'm not guessing.

You mean Claiborne?

I wish we would have drafted Peterson although I really like Claiborne as well.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Gross. I've seen Butler in part time duty and it isn't pretty.

Someone mentioned the OLB class looks really deep next year. I bet that plays into our plan here.

We also didn't see the ability to draft Peterson coming. If we had who knows how differently we play it. Spencer's contract was to buy us time and maybe draft someone else, too an OLB in the first maybe. Then Peterson fell into our laps, and there was no way to replace Spencer at that point.

Can't just look at it in the money vacuum, because that is the least of what it's about IMO.

Cap space is huge. I agree Dallas can make room but is doing so really that grand? Shoving cap space into the future every year?

Be nice to have the "ability to" not the "need to".

As far as the big picture goes, foregoing Spencer would have allowed for other positions to be addressed. I'd like a center or a guard. You likely could have had both for the cap space eaten by Spencer.

Being able to replace Spencer next year is an option whether or not he is on the team this year. It's likely a priority because him being on the team or not this year means nothing next year. You've said he won't be back because he isn't a RKG......cap room alone will likely prevent it.

The only argument for keeping him this year and this year alone is because you think he's the difference between winning the Superbowl or not. If that's the case, how is he not a guy you want to keep longterm?

It's just a ridiculous situation. Dallas tied it owns hands. That cap space could have produced two other starters on the OL or it could free up space next offseason and moving into the future.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I dont like Spencer but alot of people gripe about him because of whats on the other side(Ware). Spencer is very good vs the run, but leaves something to be desired in passrush. But me personally i think he's just lazy. As he's openly stated that he's taken plays off. Thats enough for me to base my judgement on the guy and not wanting him in a Cowboys uniform past this yr. Safety or LB next yr in round one please.

OLB in the draft, Id LOVE to see Jackson Jeffcoat draft by Dallas. Bring a bell?

S in the draft, Eric Reid, T.J Mcdonald, Robert Lester, Bicarri Rambo..hell give me either one.

Top Bottom