NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Posted by jellis at 7/9/2012 2:06 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

The deadline for clubs to sign long-term extensions with players currently under the franchise tag is one week away - the negotiating window expiring July 16 - and the Cowboys do not plan to work out a deal with outside linebacker Anthony Spencer.

The word at Valley Ranch is that the team intends to let the 28-year-old will play out this year with a guaranteed salary of $8.8 million.

Spencer signed his tender on April 23, with the hope that a long-term deal could be reached before the season, but there have been no talks between the two sides recently. He participated fully in the team's offseason program.

The 2007 first-round pick has started opposite DeMarcus Ware for the past three seasons, performing well at times, and inconsistently at others, and the Cowboys apparently want to see more from him before committing to keep him well into his 30s.

After next week's deadline, the team cannot negotiate a new contract with Spencer until after the season has ended.

The Cowboys will have the right to franchise him again, if they choose.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
he is going to be hammered all year because of what he was paid this year.

I really hope he has a big year, but at the same time I dont want him getting a 5 year 80 million dollar contract or whatever either.

but without him our defense will be significantly worse, its like a no win scenario.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
no surprise...everyone with half a brain knows why he was tagged

he was too good to let go without an obvious replacement, and not good enough to warrant a long term extension with a significant signing bonus

if they'd have had a replacement waiting or a real free agency option, he wouldnt be here today

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Paying him $8.8 M to continue to be medicore is just crazy. We signed him to the the franchise tag out of sheer panic. "who do we have to replace him?" is never a good reason to pay someone 9 million bucks.

I'd much rather have signed him to a 4-year deal and spread out the money. He is going to get this huge contract and either suck or play so well we have to pay him a gigantic salary. Not sure how Jason Garrett gets out his "it's about competition" message when we continue to reward mediocrity ..Sensabaugh, Spencer, Costa keeping his job.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would have played for much cheaper than 8.8 mil.

I could run into the right tackle and flail my arms about too.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/07/three-years-of-tackling-efficiency-edge-rushers/

I don't know what this means other than he makes alot of tackles (and misses them but more opportunities equals more misses) but there it is and the more I read about the dirty stuff Spencer does the more I'm glad we kept him. I mean to a lesser extent it seems kind of like the Williams bros. back in Minny, yeah they played the same position in name but Pat's responsibilities were way different than Kevin's.

Spencer isn't eye-popping but you really don't get much better than him at the SOLB spot in a 3-4 in the league.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/07/three-years-of-tackling-efficiency-edge-rushers/

I don't know what this means other than he makes alot of tackles (and misses them but more opportunities equals more misses) but there it is and the more I read about the dirty stuff Spencer does the more I'm glad we kept him. I mean to a lesser extent it seems kind of like the Williams bros. back in Minny, yeah they played the same position in name but Pat's responsibilities were way different than Kevin's.

Spencer isn't eye-popping but you really don't get much better than him at the SOLB spot in a 3-4 in the league.

:hand

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

That was good to read. It definitely shows Spencer is effective. I don't think I'd have a problem at all with Spencer if a) we weren't overpaying him and b) we had some tweener pass-rushing guru to come in and relieve him a few downs a game and help out Ware with the pass rush. You know? What Victor Butler is/was supposed to be ?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Paying him $8.8 M to continue to be medicore is just crazy. We signed him to the the franchise tag out of sheer panic. "who do we have to replace him?" is never a good reason to pay someone 9 million bucks.

I'd much rather have signed him to a 4-year deal and spread out the money. He is going to get this huge contract and either suck or play so well we have to pay him a gigantic salary. Not sure how Jason Garrett gets out his "it's about competition" message when we continue to reward mediocrity ..Sensabaugh, Spencer, Costa keeping his job.

I think its obvious cmd that they dont consider him mediocre

Costa hasnt kept his job (yet) and wont without significant improvement. Sensabaugh was improved last yr before the foot injury. With Spencer, its obvious they just didnt have a Plan B that would have worked with him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would have played for much cheaper than 8.8 mil.

I could run into the right tackle and flail my arms about too.

yeah, but you'd get run over like a possum against the run and be useless against the pass too

Spencer isnt useless like some of you clods want to think...he just isnt an elite pass rusher, which is a disappointment but isnt the end of the world

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That was good to read. It definitely shows Spencer is effective. I don't think I'd have a problem at all with Spencer if a) we weren't overpaying him and b) we had some tweener pass-rushing guru to come in and relieve him a few downs a game and help out Ware with the pass rush. You know? What Victor Butler is/was supposed to be ?

Overpaying him for 1yr is better than committing a significant signing bonus and being tied to him for a number of years, it was also better than just letting him walk and having to go with Joe Nobody to replace him

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
yeah, but you'd get run over like a possum against the run and be useless against the pass too

Spencer isnt useless like some of you clods want to think...he just isnt an elite pass rusher, which is a disappointment but isnt the end of the world

If I put on a Dallas uniform, you'd be my biggest fan.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think its obvious cmd that they dont consider him mediocre

Costa hasnt kept his job (yet) and wont without significant improvement. Sensabaugh was improved last yr before the foot injury. With Spencer, its obvious they just didnt have a Plan B that would have worked with him.

I think it's the money we are paying him. He's a fine player but you mainly rely on getting pressure from the OLB spots in a 3-4. I see Ware out there by himself no naturally my disdain shifts to the other OLB.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I mean does anyone have that?

It's a hard-ass position to play, and find people at. The only player in the league who is considered to play it at an elite level is Woodley I think.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's the money we are paying him. He's a fine player but you mainly rely on getting pressure from the OLB spots in a 3-4. I see Ware out there by himself no naturally my disdain shifts to the other OLB.

Its a 1yr deal. I'd be way more PO'd had they signed him to a mega longterm deal (that he clearly hasnt earned)

Paying him 8.8 for this yr was better than the alternatives, thats why I'm not all that down on it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Its a 1yr deal. I'd be way more PO'd had they signed him to a mega longterm deal (that he clearly hasnt earned)

Paying him 8.8 for this yr was better than the alternatives, thats why I'm not all that down on it.

Did Spencer ask for Ware money? I didn't hear that he did. I know this is his chance to hit it big but I just have a hard time believing they couldn't have signed him to a multi-year deal, spread out the money over 3 or 4 years. $8.8M for a year and letting him walk doesn't seem like a sound strategy.

I know we've pointed out other deals (Ahmad Brooks and Wimbley?) that would have made much more sense for the team. Spencer had to have known he wasn't going to get much more than what those 2 got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom