sbk92

Reaction score
Also, just because you're sending the grades to me, do not go easy on me. I have no problem with anyone thinking my draft class sucked.

Reaction score
Also, just because you're sending the grades to me, do not go easy on me. I have no problem with anyone thinking my draft class sucked.

I gave you a good grade in the name of our friendship.

But... if you don't accept my friend request, then change the grade I gave you to a 4.

sbk92

Reaction score
Here's why I did what I did.

I pretty much decided early on that I was going to stay where I was. Unless a trade offer overwhelmed me or a guy really fell so far that I thought I had to act, I was just going to sit tight and take the BPA. The Chargers already had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. I didn't need to move around to create that opportunity.

1(18) Corey Liuget DT Illinois
He's a late riser that Scouts Inc. was the first to start discussing as a top of the draft talent. I think he surprised some people by declaring early for this draft. Easily the 3rd best DL in this draft and I'm not sure if I didn't get the same player at 18 that the Titans got at 8. He'll fit in nicely at end in San Diego's 3-4.

2(50) Torrey Smith WR Maryland
I was really surprised to see him fall this far down the 2nd round. I thought for sure after Green and Jones were off the board by pick 14 that I'd have no chance at Smith after deciding to take Liuget with my first pick. But there wasn't another WR taken until the 49ers selected Leonard Hankerson with the 45th pick. Very strange. Usually you get a WR run started in the late 1st round. I liked Hankerson. He was my target with this pick but that was under the assumption Smith would be long gone. I'll take the vertical threat at a critical need for San Diego. It'd be a nice landing spot for him.

2(62)Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
There's some risk with this pick. Like was that nagging knee injury this year just a fluke? But I couldn't pass up a first round talent at the bottom of round 2. The fact that I could easily see him transition to safety made it even more attractive. He'll need to have a very good pro day to warrant this pick.

3(82) Rodney Hudson G Florida St.
I guess the size scared everybody away. Not me. Whether he's 285, 290 or 295, give him a year in a pro weight room and I think you have a starting C or G on a team that covets movement in their linemen. I highly doubt Hudson will be on the board for this pick in April.

3(89) Randall Cobb WR Kentucky
One of the more well rounded offensive weapons in this draft. Some say he can play RB in the NFL. I think he's a WR who can also carry the football and return kicks for you. He should have been off the board a round earlier.

-

I haven't looked at any grades yet. Just looking over the classes, I really like what the Cowboys and Texans did. Buffalo too, but he didn't make every pick.

The single worst decision/reach in this draft was the Panthers trading away next year's 1st and 2nd round picks to move back into the first round and take Brandon Harris at 17.

New England reaped the reward of that lopsided trade. You'd have to include them in the winners as well.

My biggest steal would be, ignoring my own grand larceny and any site picks, Ahmad Black to the Cowboys with the 71st pick.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I like how SBK shared his thoughts on why he picked who at the spots he did.

Anyone else care to share? It makes it easier for me to assign grades getting some of the person's thoughts behind the picks.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I sent in my grades already.

I just figured none of you knew what you were doing.

Reaction score
I'll be honest, when this thing was presented, I only signed up because I was staff. But in a nerdy kind of way, this was pretty cool and I think I enjoyed it a little too much. Props for starting this, sbk.

I knew going in this, that my beloved Texans were in need of serious depth and talent on defense. Say what you want about Wade as a head coach, I don't think there is any disputing his success as a defensive coordinator. His presence alone will improve the Texans defense, but for my money, I thought it an absolute need to get him some talent and tools to work with.

With that in mind, I was initially content to stay at #11. But I knew the guy I was strongly leaning towards could be had later. I took, IMO, somewhat of a risk by dropping to the bottom quarter of the first. I was fortunate my guy was still there, thus my gamble paid off.

1(26) Justin Houston OLB Georgia
Again, I would've taken him at #11. Call me SEC biased, but I think in 5 years, he'll be considered one of the premier defenders, let alone OLB's, in this draft. He's comparable to Terrell Suggs in size, style of play, and ugliness. He is exactly the kind of player that Wade Phillips, and the Texans need on defense. A linebacker that can bring the heat, as well as play the run, from the outside.

Oh, and you can't ignore the last name. It's obviously fate.

2(37) Phil Taylor DT Baylor
It could be argued that a fundamentally sound 3-4 defense revolves around a space-eater in the middle. While looking at the Texans roster, I didn't see anyone who could fill that role. Phil Taylor is a 330-340lb monster who commands double teams, and remarkably, can still get pressure from the inside.

I traded up to make this selection. Quite frankly, I was a little suprised he was still available. I gave up the second round selection I gained from my trade back in the first, and my third rounder. But my trade back in round 1, and my trade up in round two netted me the cornerstones for my defense for the next 5-7 years.

2(42) Rahim Moore S UCLA
This is a prime example of how good players in the draft slide. Moore, widely recognized as the top safety in the class, falls to a Texans team in dire need of direction in the secondary. With Moore, I'm getting a first team All-American, team captain, and 3 year starter in a pass heavy conference. Moore has the size and experience neccessary to be effective against the run and the pass. Icing on the cake is, he's disciplined enough to have a no soda/fast food diet, and has been on UCLA's Directors Honor Roll. I've landed a mature, heady safety capable of quarterbacking my secondary for years.

4(104) Vincent Brown WR San Diego St.
Defense. Defense. Defense. Vincent Brown. Lets face it... Andre Johnson is a monster, but he needs someone to take pressure off him on the other side. Neither Kevin Walters nor Jacoby Jones has proven capable of doing that on a consistant basis. And as long as you have to contend with the Colts for the division, the ability to score points is required.

With Brown, I'm getting a reliable receiver with good size and speed combination, but more importantly he's got very good hands and is a great route runner. He may never develop into a #1, but opposite Andre Johnson, he doesn't need to be. In short order, he'll adjust to the pro game and will be a solid receiver in my offense.

sbk92

Reaction score
This mock draft was started back in 2004. At the old tc.net. Which is now CowboysZone.

Hostile deserves as much credit as I do for how it is set up and run. We co-ran the first one. A lot of the rules in place were his.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I really tried to put myself in the place of the Giants war room.I knew from the get go some guys I might have wanted would not be there.
The Giants need young blood for depth,not a glaring need anywhere,not yet.But it's coming.Along the O-line,LB,RB and safety.

1(19) Anthony Castonzo T Boston College
Pretty much the guy I wanted,where I wanted.I was waffling between this guy and Tyron Smith,so much so I sent my pick to SBK with USC listed as the college.No reason to favor Castonzo,he won the mental coin toss

2(52) Mason Foster OLB Washington
Foster was #4 on my LB depth chart,knew I wouldn't get Miller or Ayers,thought I had a crack at Carter,but Detroit got him.
I could have Moch,who some graded above Foster,but this kid had a great year on a piss poor Huskie defense.#2 in tackles in the FBS,6.5 sacks,and had a great Senior Bowl week.Also,a smart player.I liked him better than Moch.Should be ready when Bulluck leaves.(I'm thinking Bulluck will stay this year)

3(83) Orlando Franklin G Miami
Really wanted Moffitt here,but knew I had no shot.I wanted one more solid O-lineman for depth,and got him.I didn't think quality would be as good in the 4th round,so I pulled the trigger.Kid has experience at tackle and guard,so he can move around until the coaches find his niche.

4(116) Shane Vereen RB California
I wanted to go safety with this pick.Wasn't really in love with any safety left on the board.So I went RB.Hunter from Okie St and Todman from UConn were still available,but I like this kid's versatility a little better.

I'd also like to reiterate this was awesome to do,and appreciate SBK's efforts,really fun.

sbk92

Reaction score
It's even better with a full field. I'd like to pick guys off a few boards and do a mock. Try to get 32 people who are actually going to show up and participate.

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have the Pats. Lots of picks and very little needs which allows me to go BPA. I wanted to come away with at least a few OL as most of theirs are aging and their best one has been holding out. Plus, i needed to get at least one pass rusher. My first pick had me thinking of a lot of different things. Weeks ago I checked with Houston to see what it would take to move up in case Von Miller or Ayers slipped. But as the draft started, Carolina came through with an offer I couldn't refuse. I took the 1st and 2nd in '12 and plan to be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes while Brady approaches 35. For my actual picks:

1(28) Derek Sherrod T Mississippi St. - I had really wanted Carimi and lost out on him as I traded out earlier, but I feel like Sherrod can be just as good. He's big, strong and a 3 year starter in the vaunted SEC. He can play either side at the next level and be what Brady needs immediately.

2(33) Cameron Heyward DE Ohio St. - One player I considered at the first pick fell to 33 and made this pick a no brainer. He was a beast at OSU and absolutely dominated in their bowl game. He will fit nicely on their DL with Wilfork and Warren. Pre-draft I had pegged Wisnieski for this spot, but I couldnt pass on a first rounder value in the second.

2(60) Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh- After missing out on Wisnieski at 33, I hoped Moffitt would be at 60 for me. Not sure why, but I guess I love Wisconsin OL. But, Baldwin might be the 3rd best WR in this draft and grabbing that kind of player this late is always good value. Plus, his large frame is a nice compliment to Welker and makes for a big target outside of the TE's for Brady to look for.

3(74) John Moffitt G Wisconsin - Easy pick for me. I love the player and he starts immediately if Mankins holds out or is moved.

3(92) Jacquizz Rodgers RB Oregon St. - Never hurts to add playmakers and Rodgers is electrifying. He makes for a nice compliment for Green-Ellis and help immediately on special teams.

4(124) Bruce Miller OLB Central Florida - Maybe a bit of a reach as he may be more of a 5th rounder, but I love him. 2 time conference defensive POY, a sack artist with a non-stop motor and he's shown decent coverage ability for a college DE. He'll make for a nice developmental 3-4 OLB.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have the Pats. Lots of picks and very little needs which allows me to go BPA. I wanted to come away with at least a few OL as most of theirs are aging and their best one has been holding out. Plus, i needed to get at least one pass rusher. My first pick had me thinking of a lot of different things. Weeks ago I checked with Houston to see what it would take to move up in case Von Miller or Ayers slipped. But as the draft started, Carolina came through with an offer I couldn't refuse. I took the 1st and 2nd in '12 and plan to be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes while Brady approaches 35. For my actual picks:

You were a tough grade. You had a lot to work with, but you didn't just sit content, you moved around some and reloaded for next year too. Great job.

Top Bottom