theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He musta just swept Jerruh right off his feet with charts graphs slide rules... Because damn this was fast. I didn't even have time to get my bet in on that!
Of particular interest to Jerry were the charts and graphs which showed how much time McCarthy would spend under Jerry's desk, and how much credit he would give Jerry if they were successful.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Remember how Jerry tripped all over himself to hire Garrett? This feels eerily familiar.

Not really. Garrett hadn't proven himself or had any real skins on the wall.

McCarthy is a coaching lifer who comes in having success as both an assistant and a head coach, and has gotten teams to championship games and won a Super Bowl.

I have no idea how McCarthy will fare here, but he is eons better a hire than Garrett was.

Sal Monella

Man among boys
Reaction score
NOLAN IN, MARINELLI OUT ALREADY

gettyimages-1196237652-e1578342233177.jpg

Getty Images

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli isn’t expected to be retained by new coach Mike McCarthy.

Marinelli, 70, spent seven years with the Cowboys, the final six as defensive coordinator.

He said he has not made a decision on his future.

“I am going to be fine,” Marinelli said in a text message Monday morning. “It’s not like they’re sending me back to the jungle of Vietnam. Back on the Gridiron highway.”

Marinelli’s final three defenses in Dallas finished in the top nine in total defense.

Marinelli spent three years as the Lions head coach and three years as the Bears defensive coordinator before arriving in Dallas in 2013.

He began his NFL coaching career as the defensive line coach in Tampa in 1996.

UPDATE 3:43 P.M. ET: McCarthy has hired Saints linebackers coach Mike Nolan as his new defensive coordinator, NFL Media reports.

gettyimages-1145807977-e1578343001179.jpg

Getty Images

Mike McCarthy has made his first hire.

Saints linebackers coach Mike Nolan will become the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, NFL Media reports.

Nolan and McCarthy have a long relationship, with Nolan having hired McCarthy as the 49ers’ offensive coordinator in 2005. McCarthy became the Packers’ head coach the following season.

Nolan’s 92-year-old mother and three of Nolan’s siblings live in the Dallas area, Michael Gehlken of the Dallas Morning News reports. Nolan’s father, Dick, had two stints coaching in Dallas under Tom Landry and then Jimmy Johnson.

The Cowboys are expected to continue using the 4-3 as their base defense, Gehlken reports.

Rod Marinelli served as the defensive coordinator of the team the past six seasons, but Kris Richard served as the defensive passing game coordinator and secondary coach the past two seasons. The Cowboys could retain Richard in that role if he doesn’t get a head coaching job, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News reports.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McCarthy was and is to me a better choice than Meyer, Riley or any of the other "innovators" that everyone is so hot and bothered about. As noted by others, proven track record, which will earn him respect right off the bat, as will him simply being the Anti-Clapper. He should hold everyone accountable, including himself. No more playing hot potato with the blame.
Nolan as DC is interesting, gotta be an improvement over what we've had.
Overall, no guarantees, but it's a step up from where we were, at the very least.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The more I hear about Mike the more I’m liking this hire.

I just hope he doesn’t settle for Helen Moore and Kris Richard to appease Jerry

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The hire has me a bit optimistic but I'm still suffering from 25 years of PDSD from watching jeri's nonsense ruin all coaches so I remain skeptical until proven otherwise

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The hire has me a bit optimistic but I'm still suffering from 25 years of PDSD from watching jeri's nonsense ruin all coaches so I remain skeptical until proven otherwise

I don’t know if I’m optimistically cautious

Or cautiously optimistic

I just know I don’t trust Jerry not to fuck this all up

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I like this narrative hope it stays that way during his tenure and not just with coaches
Yeah, he's hiring his own staff. I am sure Jerruh and spawn gonna give him a lot of rope at first, and maybe even more if it goes well.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Charles Robinson‏ @CharlesRobinson 9 hours ago

Here's something about Mike McCarthy that should encourage #DallasCowboys fans: Remember how down many people were about Andy Reid when it unraveled in Philadelphia. What Reid needed was a change and a fresh start. Good, successful coaches can have great second lives in the #NFL.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So how long till Mike can start jettisoning useless players and staff?

When do we get to hear about the turds at the bottom of the bowl that he has decided will no longer be Dallas Cowboys?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Charles Robinson‏ @CharlesRobinson 9 hours ago

Here's something about Mike McCarthy that should encourage #DallasCowboys fans: Remember how down many people were about Andy Reid when it unraveled in Philadelphia. What Reid needed was a change and a fresh start. Good, successful coaches can have great second lives in the #NFL.

At the very least we have a coach now vs the one that was apparently just playing the part while spitting, clapping & slapping butts on the sidelines with headset possibly hooked up to nothing. Mike looks completely different on the sidelines on game day and should be fun in that regard

He may not succeed here but it won't be for lack of trying or experience.

I'll enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts wandering what the idiosyncrasies people will start to identify and attack as a reason for failure or just being irritating or perhaps he'll win enough to postpone the attacks for a few years

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The best part of the new HC

NEVER having to watch our Head Coach clap and smack a player on the ass as he comes off the field after blown play again!!!!!!!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
At the very least we have a coach now vs the one that was apparently just playing the part while spitting, clapping & slapping butts on the sidelines with headset possibly hooked up to nothing. Mike looks completely different on the sidelines on game day and should be fun in that regard

He may not succeed here but it won't be for lack of trying or experience.

I'll enjoy the honeymoon while it lasts wandering what the idiosyncrasies people will start to identify and attack as a reason for failure or just being irritating or perhaps he'll win enough to postpone the attacks for a few years

How dare you!

Garrett’s headset wasn’t hooked up to nothing

He was listening to Baby Shark on a 4 hour loop during each game. That’s why he always had that look on his face like he had to take a shit

He claimed it kept him angry and gave him that “competitive edge”

Top Bottom