Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way we win the division..
Honestly, I believe Dallas beats Philadelphia - especially if the weather is bad - and will beat Washington as well. The Coats are vulnerable, so I can reasonably see them winning out.

Gimme 12-4 and I'll start enjoying the ride a little.

Reaction score
We've benefited from having an extremely healthy team, which is a welcome break. And we've had a lot of lucky breaks go our way.

I think were a "lucky" team this year. And I don't think it'll progress into next year.

I doubt we retain the strength of the coaching staff - our assistants. I believe the less Garrett does, the better the team is. I think Callahan and possibly even Marinelli leave. That'll hurt. A lot.

I think Romo is on the backside of his career. And the multiple back/rib injuries will take away his greatest assett - his ability to improvise and mobility.

I think were running Murray into the ground this year and he won't be near as effective next year.

And I don't trust our scouts/coaches to rebuild our secondary. They've missed on basically ever back four prospect/player they've brought in.

Reaction score
I think the team is just a middling, average one. We beat the teams we are better than and lose to the ones that are better than us for the most part. Once in a while you lose to a team you should beat (Washington) or beat a team you shouldn't (Seattle). But those are the anomalies, it doesn't mean we're terrible when we lose to Wash or that we're great when we beat Seattle.

I guess i need to see more to come to that conclusion. The losses to these better teams centered around the health of Romo.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No. Winning 6 instead of 5 doesn't warrant being happy...but if this team makes the playoffs when nobody expected it, you should consider it a success...
I'd agree with that.

Not that I necessarily think that means anything for the future, but for 2014 I'd agree with it.

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys are somewhere between the 5th and 12th best team in the NFL this year. If they beat the Eagles and Colts, they are closer to the 5th. Lose to both and they are around 12th.

My guess is that 2014 will be the last best season in the Romo era. It currently takes him a full week to recover physically before he's ready for the next game. He has a chronic back injury. His mental game has never been better, but his physical skills are deteriorating.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My guess is that 2014 will be the last best season in the Romo era. It currently takes him a full week to recover physically before he's ready for the next game. He has a chronic back injury. His mental game has never been better, but his physical skills are deteriorating.

This is the dilemma heading into the offseason. If they truly believe they can get one more A+ type season from him, then I could see the Jones' going all in this offseason and spending to bring in 2 or 3 quality-premium defensive players, in addition to spending more high pick/s on defensive talent.

I think they definitely have to start planning that 2016 is the season they may have to make a permanent QB change.

Reaction score
This is the dilemma heading into the offseason. If they truly believe they can get one more A+ type season from him, then I could see the Jones' going all in this offseason and spending to bring in 2 or 3 quality-premium defensive players, in addition to spending more high pick/s on defensive talent.

I think they definitely have to start planning that 2016 is the season they may have to make a permanent QB change.

That sounds reasonable to me.

Here's a question for you - What should the front office do if it truly believes it can't get another A type season from Romo next year?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a question for you - What should the front office do if it truly believes it can't get another A type season from Romo next year?

For certain in that scenario (and maybe regardless, but definitely if they think he's a question mark) they gotta improve the backup QB position.

As I mentioned in another post, it'd be ideal if Dustin Vaughan had a great offseason, showed development and then had a really productive camp and preseason. Maybe he still wouldn't be ready to be the #2, but at least show enough so that they think he could compete for a starters job in 2016. Then you have a potential scenario where you have a talented, young, very inexpensive starter in 2016 that knows the system (whatever that might be) and wouldn't be a "rookie" trying to learn the ropes, all the while surrounded by a pretty talented young roster. If Vaughan isn't giving them good vibes after the season, peraps you spend a middle to late rd pick in April on a developmental QB.

Otherwise, if he (or other young guy) isn't the answer then 2016 you almost have to spend a 1st rd pick on a potential franchise QB

Reaction score
Here's what I think --

Regardless as to what the team thinks about Romo, if the team thinks they have something in Vaughn, I think he needs to be the #2 next year. The developing QB should be the guy who gets the extra snaps during the week when Romo is resting and rehabilitating.

At this point, Weeden or any Weeden-like 2nd team QB is a progress stopper.

A strategy that I like -- Have the Cowboys trade away their 1st round pick in the upcoming draft for a 1st round pick (and some change) in the following year's draft. That way you have two 1st round draft choices to work with in the 2016 draft ... enhancing your chances to position yourself to draft one of the top tier rookie QBs.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's a good point. This current schedule of Romo taking the heaviest practice day off every week would be great for developing a young QB. And you know Romo will be on that schedule for the rest of his career.

I don't think they'll ever admit, "This is Romo's last great year", though, and plan accordingly.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That's a good point. This current schedule of Romo taking the heaviest practice day off every week would be great for developing a young QB. And you know Romo will be on that schedule for the rest of his career.

I don't think they'll ever admit, "This is Romo's last great year", though, and plan accordingly.

Absolutely not. Jones' pathological optimism never will allow it.

He did the same crap with Aikman, Haley, Woodson and Novacek when it was clear they were all done, he would hang onto them and never think ahead to replace them while they were still around. It was only after they were gone and he would panic trying to draft the replacement.

Reaction score
There is a good chance nothing has been learned.

On the other hand, they did cut Ware loose .... and Jerry wanted to draft Manziel.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I think the team is just a middling, average one. We beat the teams we are better than and lose to the ones that are better than us for the most part. Once in a while you lose to a team you should beat (Washington) or beat a team you shouldn't (Seattle). But those are the anomalies, it doesn't mean we're terrible when we lose to Wash or that we're great when we beat Seattle.
This post sums up the team's performance over the last several years. I see little reason to expect a major shift away from this habit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
For certain in that scenario (and maybe regardless, but definitely if they think he's a question mark) they gotta improve the backup QB position.

As I mentioned in another post, it'd be ideal if Dustin Vaughan had a great offseason, showed development and then had a really productive camp and preseason. Maybe he still wouldn't be ready to be the #2, but at least show enough so that they think he could compete for a starters job in 2016. Then you have a potential scenario where you have a talented, young, very inexpensive starter in 2016 that knows the system (whatever that might be) and wouldn't be a "rookie" trying to learn the ropes, all the while surrounded by a pretty talented young roster. If Vaughan isn't giving them good vibes after the season, peraps you spend a middle to late rd pick in April on a developmental QB.

Otherwise, if he (or other young guy) isn't the answer then 2016 you almost have to spend a 1st rd pick on a potential franchise QB
And people like me, who first hand know what Vaughan is and what he can do - also know he will show them he's their guy. The ONLY question really is, are they bright enough to see it.

A big part of me wants Romo and Weeden to go down in successive weeks, so Vaughan can come in and hang 400 passing yards on somebody. I think short of that happening, the Dallas "braintrust" will only deal in theory, and probably let Vaughan go after this season.

Reaction score
A big part of me wants Romo and Weeden to go down in successive weeks, so Vaughan can come in and hang 400 passing yards on somebody. I think short of that happening, the Dallas "braintrust" will only deal in theory, and probably let Vaughan go after this season.

Do you REALLY think Vaughn would just come in and take the league by storm and hand 400 yards on an opponent?

Reaction score
Which is why I suggest trading the next 1st round pick for one in the following year.

For this team to move up and pick one of the top QB prospects in 2016, they will need some picks with which to bargain.

Top Bottom