Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Everybody's gotta eat whether it be bugs, birds, wombats and even opossums. I don't hurt any animals they have just as much right to live as we do. They're just trying to survive. Two juvenile opossums like to come and eat cat food on my back step about twice a week when I put some out there for them.opossoms.jpg

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm with you and agree that all life is precious. If I had to start killing my food myself, I'd probably be a vegetarian tomorrow.

That being said, opossums are some ugly bastards.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
opossums are some ugly bastards.
They is. But they eat bugs. Black widdas, brown recluse, ticks, fleas. They eat dead animals... They're nature's garbage man.

By the way I looked a bit ago and a big one was there, probably their momma.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
People don't plant trees under power lines. I figured this out a few years ago when the power company was making tacos out of some of my trees out by the road, cutting them away from the power lines. I asked the dude how come folks plant trees in such stupid spots.

"They don't, birds do. They eat seeds and poop them out while sitting on poles and power lines. Perfect planting, they drop to the ground surrounded by warm moist fertilizer! Pretty soon you have a new tree."

Makes perfect sense and gives you a whole new perspective.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm with you and agree that all life is precious. If I had to start killing my food myself, I'd probably be a vegetarian tomorrow.

That being said, opossums are some ugly bastards.

thats me in a nut shell, I'm a massive hypocrite because if I had to kill pigs, cows and chickens to eat them, I'm not sure I could do it

I wonder if it has something to do with getting older, I used to go hunting when I was 15-25 years old and it didn't bother me as much but I only killed what I planned to eat but didn't like the idea of feeding a deer all year and then shooting it from a "house" I hid in a tree

I feed some cats at my house too and a family of possums raids it nightly. I hear they're great to have around for killing ticks, etc but the poor things are ugly bastards

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And nooo, you really can't power an electric car by the wind it generates as it moves. You can't even keep the batteries charged in this manner. I tried it. Tried really really hard.

WEV1.jpg

Common fan blades out of older Mopar cars and trucks. Welded up to accommodate the cone.
WEV2.jpg

Attached to the fans are alternators, wired to act as generators.
WEV3.jpg
WEV4.jpg

It works pretty good though, drives great! It's just a DC motor out of a forklift mated to the trans. Alternator you see there is for the 12 volt system you still gotta have if you want lights, blinkers, blower, etc. And yes there's a regular 12v battery under the hood still.
WEV5.jpg

Heart of the system right here:
WEV6.jpg

It doesn't work at all for continuous charging however it DOES greatly extend range, time between charges! Batteries weren't the most efficient I could get...
WEV7.jpg

It's worth more study. Maybe if I can ever get hands on a Tesla battery instead of these lead-acid marine batts, and go to AC for the motor instead of DC... There's still thoughts.

Anyhow, what happens is you come to a point of diminishing returns, when the electrical load causes the wind generators to be so hard to turn, they greatly slow down and eventually just lock up even at 60mph. Going up long inclines against the wind is one such time.

But yeah, it doesn't really work. Up in the top of the car at the back, behind the turbines there is a 2kw generator that runs off a typical small engine you might associate with lawn mowers... It kicks on automatically when the buss voltage drops below a certain point. Makes enough juice to charge the batteries in almost all conditions and is VERY miserly on gasoline, I calculated I can get up to 200mpg on the highway just using the generator. (Flat road, no headwind) You get some of the same thing though -- in real world highway driving that generator gets really hard for the motor to turn under certain conditions. Makes the little engine use more fuel and eventually it too will lock up, not having the HP necessary to keep turning. Eventually you're gonna bend a rod.

As it sits and for typical driving, it can go well over 400 miles or better between charges - depending on how lead-footed the driver is, whether he/she jackrabbits it, and so on. But eventually yeah, you do gotta either plug it in or let the small engine generator run on manual while you're stopped, to fully charge the beast.

Would make a great car for some future Road Warrior movie though. I'm done tinkering with it for the forseeable future. Money's too tight right now to be Emmitt Brown anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I really think you would have pulled it off if your choice of vehicle had been a Delorean
But there's that word again, "heavy." Sucker weighs nearly 3000 lbs even with the engine out of it! The DMC-12 was my original thought. But its weight and procurement cost made it out of scope for the project.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But there's that word again, "heavy." Sucker weighs nearly 3000 lbs even with the engine out of it! The DMC-12 was my original thought. But its weight and procurement cost made it out of scope for the project.

don't listen to my dumb ass, I cant even change my oil, I was just talking out of my ass per usual

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
don't listen to my dumb ass, I cant even change my oil, I was just talking out of my ass per usual
I lol'd your post because yeah, the Delorean was my go-to car for this. Wanted to drive it coast to coast on only 5 gallons of gas!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Swallowing pop can pull tabs IS a thing. I accidentally did it last evening around 6:30. Did some research online and it turns out these little aluminum bits are called "stay tabs."

I hope it winds up being just a "pass tab" without incident. Stay tuned.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
People don't plant trees under power lines. I figured this out a few years ago when the power company was making tacos out of some of my trees out by the road, cutting them away from the power lines. I asked the dude how come folks plant trees in such stupid spots.

"They don't, birds do. They eat seeds and poop them out while sitting on poles and power lines. Perfect planting, they drop to the ground surrounded by warm moist fertilizer! Pretty soon you have a new tree."

Makes perfect sense and gives you a whole new perspective.

The wall in my back yard has been there 30+ years

About 20 years ago the new apartment complex that was built behind my house put up their own cinderblock wall on the other side of mine at about 18 inches away from mine. This 18 inch gap just happened to be directly below the power/phone lines that run above the wall from one pole to the next

We have always struggled keeping up with the giant ass weeds/trees/plants that would grow between both walls each year

A couple years ago it cost us a pretty penny to have a tree trimming company go between the walls and remove everything down to the stump

I always wondered how the seedlings would get in there and create new trees every year

Now that makes sense

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I always wondered how the seedlings would get in there and create new trees every year
That little tidbit from the tree man will make you look at trees from a completely different angle. Every tree you see in a dumb spot, or how the hell did it get there spot, it's fair to think fowl play was involved.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Swallowing pop can pull tabs IS a thing. I accidentally did it last evening around 6:30. Did some research online and it turns out these little aluminum bits are called "stay tabs."

I hope it winds up being just a "pass tab" without incident. Stay tuned.
Apparently it passed. Have had no problems and the extrusion output has been normal. I don't know 100 percent for sure that it passed, I wasn't gonna go picking through the product to find out. Just have to assume it did.

Shitty deal all the way around. Shitty update too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's happened a few times before, that I remember - but do you have a dream where in the dream, you need to take a piss really bad, and maybe even in the dream you're looking for a place to piss? And then you wake up, really needing to take a piss?

Like that physical need works its way into your sleep state and becomes part of the dream you're having

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's happened a few times before, that I remember - but do you have a dream where in the dream, you need to take a piss really bad, and maybe even in the dream you're looking for a place to piss? And then you wake up, really needing to take a piss?

Like that physical need works its way into your sleep state and becomes part of the dream you're having

I've had that dream before, except in mine a cart with a delivery I need to make is blocking the bedroom door...

This Bud's 4U

Drew Pearson cheated!ᵀᴹ
Reaction score
blue%20confederate%20border%20patrol%20hat-19.jpg

Top Bottom