bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the previous regime had a lot to do with Jimmy's success. if Brandt doesn't roll the dice on Walker, and if Landry doesn't lose the last game of the '88 season, JJ might have been a mere footnote in Cowboy history

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ehhh, I love you like a brother...or maybe a creepy uncle... but I think that's stretching it. Jimmy made a lot of other brilliant moves. He would have just found a way to win with Steve Walsh. Aikman's impact that first year was insignificant anyway.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
He would have just found a way to win with Steve Walsh.

no way. we weren't so good that you could stick anyone back there. the Walsh pick was a huge mistake; the idiotic Saints bailed us out.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
the Walsh pick was a huge mistake;
Seemed foolish.

the idiotic Saints bailed us out.
Agreed, but Jimmy could do that. He could move on. This current regime sees ghosts and reaches for players and then holds onto them until they have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that they can not play at the expected level.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Seemed foolish.

Agreed, but Jimmy could do that. He could move on. This current regime sees ghosts and reaches for players and then holds onto them until they have proven beyond all reasonable doubt that they can not play at the expected level.

Or hang onto castoffs from other teams like Mr. 10 Game Suspension and hope and pray he is able to help for the last 6 games with this pathetic defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ehhh, I love you like a brother...or maybe a creepy uncle... but I think that's stretching it. Jimmy made a lot of other brilliant moves. He would have just found a way to win with Steve Walsh. Aikman's impact that first year was insignificant anyway.

Steve Walsh wasn't any good in the NFL, and we wouldn't have won with him.

It worked out because Jimmy fleeced the Aints in the Walsh trade, but giving up what turned out to be the #1 overall pick in 1990 was stupid.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Steve Walsh wasn't any good in the NFL, and we wouldn't have won with him.

I think we would have had. That roster was loaded. Aikman is waaaaaay better but we relied on Emmitt and a great defense. I think Walsh would have gotten the job done.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
And to some of the people older than me... Where do you have Meredith?

I'm answering this question because I'm dodging the HC question,for now.
I thought Meredith was all the things you said,tough,smart,and a leader.
So was White.Neither managed to make it over the hump and win a title,but White led a declining team,and Meredith's team was on the rise.I could flip my 4 & 5 and still be ok.I just preferred White.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think we would have had. That roster was loaded. Aikman is waaaaaay better but we relied on Emmitt and a great defense. I think Walsh would have gotten the job done.
He got the job done with about the same situation at Miami, but in many ways according to Jimmy in his book was better than Testaverde - chiefly because he was better protecting the ball and making much fewer mistakes with it.

If you look at the 1990 draft, giving that pick away to pick up Walsh wasn't that bad of a move - that draft really wasn't the richest one talent-wise for what dallas needed anyway. Jimmy had a plan, knew someone would want Walsh.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Don't drink and post in the DCU

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
At their peak, sure it's close. I just give Landry the nod for his incredible longevity and winning with several different QBs.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

Agreed. That team just needed a bus driver. Aikman obviously made the team a whole helluva lot better, but we could have won with Walsh.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. That team just needed a bus driver. Aikman obviously made the team a whole helluva lot better, but we could have won with Walsh.

Same advice to you, don't drink and post.

Walsh was awful dude. He played for like 6 or 7 teams and barely completed 50% of his passes for his career. We wouldn't have won jack shit with him, especially come playoff time where Aikman was off he charts good. People forget from 92-95 he was the best postseason QB in league history. He lost only one game and had stellar QB ratings and stats.

Reaction score
Boy, my memory of Walsh isn't nearly so favorable. I watched a lot of his games with the Saints. His lack of arm strength was stunning.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same here. Walsh sucked.

The real miracle is that we got any team to take him off our hands for a decent return.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
won games, sure, but not championships. he had a pop-gun arm at best.

All he had to do was throw slants to Irvin and and the ball off to Emmitt. I'm not saying we would have won back to back SBs with him, but we would have had success.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All he had to do was throw slants to Irvin and and the ball off to Emmitt. I'm not saying we would have won back to back SBs with him, but we would have had success.

He couldnt throw slants to Irvin, his arm was awful. If he had played 16 games a yr, those super bowl teams probably wouldn't have made the playoffs, let alone win them.

He was just terrible dude. There's no way we win anything with Walsh at QB instead of Aikman.

And its not like he went to a putrid team and didn't work out, the Saints under Mora were pretty good and had excellent defenses. He went there and they figured out quickly what was obvious to everyone except you and CMD, that he couldn't play. And then he bounced around the league to multiple teams.

Top Bottom