sbk92

Reaction score
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- With at least some positive drips of news from the talks between the NFL and the association formerly known as the NFLPA regarding the collective bargaining agreement, is it too much of a risk to talk about (gulp) actual football matters?

Is it like talking about a no-hitter in the sixth inning? You don’t want to jinx anything, right?

Well, if it all falls apart in the next few days, blame me because at some point the Cowboys are going to have to address the safety position.

Gerald Sensabaugh will be an unrestricted free agent. Alan Ball is moving back to cornerback. That leaves Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Danny McCray, Barry Church and Andrew Sendejo battling for a job. By the way, Sendejo earned some praise of his work in the player-run practices last month.

The Cowboys would like to keep Sensabaugh at a sensible price. They need to find another safety in free agency. Michael Huff, the Irving native, has been mentioned the most as a target. San Diego’s Eric Weddle has been bandied about, too.

My choice: Abram Elam.

The Cowboys made a mistake in 2007 by cutting Elam. Wade Phillips liked Courtney Brown’s athleticism better. The only problem with that thought then and now is that Brown, a seventh-round pick that year, didn’t like to tackle. Elam has gone on to start 48 games for the New York Jets and Cleveland over the last four years.

Elam, who excelled on special teams with the Cowboys in ’06 and made some plays in part-time action as a safety, has a more-recent history with new coordinator Rob Ryan. Huff spent three years with Ryan in Oakland and in 2008 he finished with 28 tackles in seven starts. Huff played much better the last two years but I believe Elam should be the choice.

Here’s the statistical breakdown from 2010 on Elam, Huff and Weddle based on the stats provided by each team’s staffs, not the press box stats:

Elam (15 starts) – 77 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, 10 pass deflections, two forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries

Huff (16 starts) – 84 tackles, four sacks, three interceptions, seven pass deflections, three forced fumbles

Weddle (16 starts) – 72 tackles, 0.5 sacks, two interceptions, 10 pass deflections

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Elam and Huff would be nice. Any kind of competence back there would be a welcomed change.

Just say no to Sensabaugh.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
By Todd Archer

IRVING, Texas -- With at least some positive drips of news from the talks between the NFL and the association formerly known as the NFLPA regarding the collective bargaining agreement, is it too much of a risk to talk about (gulp) actual football matters?

Is it like talking about a no-hitter in the sixth inning? You don’t want to jinx anything, right?

Well, if it all falls apart in the next few days, blame me because at some point the Cowboys are going to have to address the safety position.

Gerald Sensabaugh will be an unrestricted free agent. Alan Ball is moving back to cornerback. That leaves Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Danny McCray, Barry Church and Andrew Sendejo battling for a job. By the way, Sendejo earned some praise of his work in the player-run practices last month.

The Cowboys would like to keep Sensabaugh at a sensible price. They need to find another safety in free agency. Michael Huff, the Irving native, has been mentioned the most as a target. San Diego’s Eric Weddle has been bandied about, too.

My choice: Abram Elam.

The Cowboys made a mistake in 2007 by cutting Elam. Wade Phillips liked Courtney Brown’s athleticism better. The only problem with that thought then and now is that Brown, a seventh-round pick that year, didn’t like to tackle. Elam has gone on to start 48 games for the New York Jets and Cleveland over the last four years.

Elam, who excelled on special teams with the Cowboys in ’06 and made some plays in part-time action as a safety, has a more-recent history with new coordinator Rob Ryan. Huff spent three years with Ryan in Oakland and in 2008 he finished with 28 tackles in seven starts. Huff played much better the last two years but I believe Elam should be the choice.

Here’s the statistical breakdown from 2010 on Elam, Huff and Weddle based on the stats provided by each team’s staffs, not the press box stats:

Elam (15 starts) – 77 tackles, two sacks, two interceptions, 10 pass deflections, two forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries

Huff (16 starts) – 84 tackles, four sacks, three interceptions, seven pass deflections, three forced fumbles

Weddle (16 starts) – 72 tackles, 0.5 sacks, two interceptions, 10 pass deflections
Wade was such an idiot, first Matt Moore, Danny Amendola then Abram Elam. What a Dolt.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
dude, none of those players is worth a damn...hate to break it to you
OK let's see here...Matt Moore>Stephen McGee, Danny Amendola>Roy Williams, Abram Elam>Alan Ball.....Anymore breaking news..??

Reaction score
If Abram is the guy - and I hope we do pick him up - then I think it'll have more to do with him being able to (1) sign cheap and (2) effectively play QB in the defense, getting people lined up, etc.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
dude, none of those players is worth a damn...hate to break it to you

dbair, when it comes to football-related topics, I do dtisagree much with you, but this is one where I do. Moore would have been a better backup than McGee and I always like Elam when he was here with the team. The guy played with alot of heart. There is a reason why he still is in the league and Courtney Brown is not.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
OK let's see here...Matt Moore>Stephen McGee, Danny Amendola>Roy Williams, Abram Elam>Alan Ball.....Anymore breaking news..??

I wouldn't go that far. In fact, you're nuts if you believe that. I'm as much a Roy detractor than anyone in this forum, but Amendola is not better than Roy. You still cuahg tup on that Wes Welker-like trip.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
dbair, when it comes to football-related topics, I do nto disagree much with you, but this is oen where I do. Moore would have been a better backup than McGee and I always like Elam when he was here with the team. The guy played with alot of heart. There is a reason why he still is in the elague and Courtney Brown is not.

the team was in a bind it had no choice that summer. The newman injury forced them to bring extra DB's to the first week and try and sneak moore to the practice squad. Elam is another issue. That was just the coaching staff being flat out wrong.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I wouldn't go that far. In fact, you're nuts if you believe that. I'm as much a Roy detractor than anyone in this forum, but Amendola is not better than Roy. You still cuahg tup on that Wes Welker-like trip.
Danny Amendola 85 rec for 689 yards and 3 TD's.
Roy Williams 37 rec for 530 yards and 5 TD's

Cythim

Reaction score

You are comparing crap with more crap. Elam is the only one out of the six that should be a starter in the NFL.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You are comparing crap with more crap. Elam is the only one out of the six that should be a starter in the NFL.
Who said anything about starting...? you ever heard of depth..? The cowboys let some quality players go who could have helped more than the *crap* we have currently.

Cythim

Reaction score
Who said anything about starting...? you ever heard of depth..? The cowboys let some quality players go who could have helped more than the *crap* we have currently.

Moore was going to be the #3 QB but didn't clear waivers to make it onto the practice squad. Sucks that we lost him but it was inconsequential. We were not and still are not in dire need of depth at QB.

Amendola couldn't break through our WR depth to get onto this team. You can post stats all you want but they do not make him a better WR than Roy, Dez, or Miles. He sat on our practice squad for a year and was going to sit another year on Philly's practice squad but was signed by a team that was desperate for WRs. We were not and still are not in dire need of depth at QB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose his starting job at some point in 2011.

I know next to nothing about Elam. I want to see some of his play before I sign off on wanting him. You can show me stats all day but that doesn't say anything about the type of safety he is or how good he actually is. How is he in run support and coverage? And why is Cleveland letting him walk after spending a 5th round pick on him? I don't want him because of his stats. I want to actually see him play and have actual proof that he is better than Ball.

Reaction score

I'd take Amendola in the slot over Roy anyday.

Top Bottom