Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

One thing I like about the possibility is that Rex might be willing to go with some sort of hybrid 3-4, which I think would be good for not only Micah's longevity, but it could keep him be "fresher" for a playoff run.

Micah is a good enough player that I'd be okay with changing the basic approach to defense just to accommodate him. When you have Lawrence Taylor you don't play him at defensive end.

I know we did that with Haley, but Haley had more of a DE body and there were other factors like a viscous DT rotation with the likes of Russell Maryland, Tony Casillas, Chad Henning, Leon Lett, and Jimmy Jones to name a few that come to memory.

I get that as head coach of Buffalo, Rex used both alignments. He's capable of both depending on his personnel.

But, in defense of Zimmer, Zimmer has also shown the ability to coach and do both.

At the end of the day, I'm good with either. Just get me some LBs, LVE is done. Even if he is not officially done we can't go into a season relying on him. At best, he is a backup and spot player.

Bell is not a full time LB!

And, in the age of pass happy offenses, we could use another starting quality CB even if Gilmore is signed.

Mazi Smith? What a friggin disappointment. But maybe he'll get it in year 2.

Who the FUCK told Mazi to lose weight? In all my mocks he was listed at nearly 340 lbs. Did he have an undisclosed illness? How do you get drafted as a 1-tech at nearly 340 and then try to play at barely over 300?

Was that Dan Quinn? Was that Mazi? What sense does it make to use a first round pick on a 1-tech and ask him to drop weight? If anything, he should have gained weight.

Did Mazi suck so bad that Quinn said, "well, maybe if he drops weight he can be a 3-tech"?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How many folks are weary of making Lamb the highest paid WR in the NFL? The guy is so damn tempermental and disappears when things don't go his way. Fuck the stats.....

what else can you do?

Its common knowledge that successful teams are built around one wide receiver, the more flamboyant the better.

these opportunities dont come around very often so you have to grab them when they do, pay him whatever he wants!!

and make damn sure there's a no trade clause and state that the franchise tag can never be used on him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Broaddus is apparently claiming the holdup with Zimmer is over money and that he (Zimmer) basically doesnt care one way or another if he gets the job.

Still have no clue why the best the Dallas Cowboys can get is two old guys who have both been out of the league for awhile. Jones should have shitcanned the entire staff after that debacle v Green Bay, instead all he did is contribute to the likelihood that 2024 is another dumpster fire season like 2010 or 2015.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboy DC drama is over, Zimmer is officially hired.

GROZ protest put up a tremendous effort, but unfortunately we came up short.

Last edited:

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
what else can you do?

Its common knowledge that successful teams are built around one wide receiver, the more flamboyant the better.

these opportunities dont come around very often so you have to grab them when they do, pay him whatever he wants!!

and make damn sure there's a no trade clause and state that the franchise tag can never be used on him
At the end of the day, he will be signed. He's a legit number one and I like the fact he can play all the positions.

I just hope his agent doesn't convince him that he needs to be the highest paid because that might lead to a franchise tag.

Hopefully, he will be agreeable to restructure down the road. They usually are, but there is no guarantee.

However, I don't like this 18 targets BS. Not to win a SB. The ball needs to be spread around so that when needed the offense is used to doing it and it runs optimally, regardless of who the DC is committed to take away.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
tyreek hill already makes $30 million per year

jamar chase and justin jefferson's contracts are coming soon and they're going to blow up the WR market again, so sign lamb to a top 5 WR contract before it gets even less manageable

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
what else can you do?

Are you being sarcastic? Why would you make damn sure there is no a no trade clause?

Hypothetically, what if a team offered 3 first round draft picks?

The Vikings traded Diggs and replaced him in the draft with Jefferson.

I don't get the no trade clause idea. I'd do the opposite and try to make sure he can be traded even if I had to pay him a little more up-front.

You never know, a 6th round pick could blossom into a great WR and Lamb isn't needed. Puka Nacua was a 5th round pick and Cooper Kupp was a 3rd round pick.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Better get 3 legit LBs or he'll be out the door with McCarthy. It doesn't matter to me if they are UDFAs, FAs, or draft picks.

I understand Overshown is coming back, but I'm not betting on my house on Overshown.

BTW, a guy that nobody will hire anymore because of his age is Wade Phillips, but I think he really is Mr. Fix-it when it comes to defense. He's coaching in one of those bullshit leagues now, but Dallas should consider Wade as a consultant.

IMHO, nobody knows more about the LB position or how to evaluate it than Wade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Better get 3 legit LBs or he'll be out the door with McCarthy. It doesn't matter to me if they are UDFAs, FAs, or draft picks.

I understand Overshown is coming back, but I'm not betting on my house on Overshown.

BTW, a guy that nobody will hire anymore because of his age is Wade Phillips, but I think he really is Mr. Fix-it when it comes to defense. He's coaching in one of those bullshit leagues now, but Dallas should consider Wade as a consultant.

IMHO, nobody knows more about the LB position or how to evaluate it than Wade.
Yeah, we were so fortunate he eagled eyed supreme talents like Jason Williams "I'm up on the table for him!!!!!" and Victor Butler. We've never had that kind of talent before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Take it FWIW but Broaddus is saying Ron Rivera is likely joining our staff as an assistant coach under Zimmer (I think he said LB coach)

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, we were so fortunate he eagled eyed supreme talents like Jason Williams "I'm up on the table for him!!!!!" and Victor Butler. We've never had that kind of talent before.
That wasn't Wade. Wade left the draft up to Jerry and company. He stayed out of it. But Wade knows LB talent. As a head coach, he didn't want to get involved in picking the players.

The only thing Wade did when Williams was picked was to remind Jerry that at some point they needed to draft a player because Jerry was trading down.

Just look at Wade's overall history with LBs going all the way back to the Saints.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Still have no clue why the best the Dallas Cowboys can get is two old guys who have both been out of the league for awhile

lol, really?

its not a matter of who they can get, its an issue of comfort and control for jeri as its been since he fired Jimmy

I also believe that jeri & spawn deliberately drag everything out unnecessarily just to keep the Cowboys in the news, I wouldnt be surprised to find out the players/coaches were in on it and played along

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That wasn't Wade. Wade left the draft up to Jerry and company. He stayed out of it. But Wade knows LB talent. As a head coach, he didn't want to get involved in picking the players.

The only thing Wade did when Williams was picked was to remind Jerry that at some point they needed to draft a player because Jerry was trading down.

Just look at Wade's overall history with LBs going all the way back to the Saints.
Jason Williams was 100% Wade and it was widely reported at the time.

Going back to the Saints? The only good LB they had was Ricky Jackson, and any fool could have got that one right. I also noticed that the Saints never had a winning record when Wade was there as DC or interim HC.

The Saints great 4-some of LB's that everyone became familiar with, 3 of the 4 came the yr Jim Mora arrived (1986) and those guys were mostly coached by Steve Sidwell, Dom Capers and Vic Fangio.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
One thing I like about the possibility is that Rex might be willing to go with some sort of hybrid 3-4, which I think would be good for not only Micah's longevity, but it could keep him be "fresher" for a playoff run.

Micah is a good enough player that I'd be okay with changing the basic approach to defense just to accommodate him. When you have Lawrence Taylor you don't play him at defensive end.

I know we did that with Haley, but Haley had more of a DE body and there were other factors like a viscous DT rotation with the likes of Russell Maryland, Tony Casillas, Chad Henning, Leon Lett, and Jimmy Jones to name a few that come to memory.

I get that as head coach of Buffalo, Rex used both alignments. He's capable of both depending on his personnel.

But, in defense of Zimmer, Zimmer has also shown the ability to coach and do both.

At the end of the day, I'm good with either. Just get me some LBs, LVE is done. Even if he is not officially done we can't go into a season relying on him. At best, he is a backup and spot player.

Bell is not a full time LB!

And, in the age of pass happy offenses, we could use another starting quality CB even if Gilmore is signed.

Mazi Smith? What a friggin disappointment. But maybe he'll get it in year 2.

Who the FUCK told Mazi to lose weight? In all my mocks he was listed at nearly 340 lbs. Did he have an undisclosed illness? How do you get drafted as a 1-tech at nearly 340 and then try to play at barely over 300?

Was that Dan Quinn? Was that Mazi? What sense does it make to use a first round pick on a 1-tech and ask him to drop weight? If anything, he should have gained weight.

Did Mazi suck so bad that Quinn said, "well, maybe if he drops weight he can be a 3-tech"?

The talk that I heard on Maxi’s weight loss was that he was too slow getting off the ball and that they wanted him to lose weight to help with that. Unfortunately it didn’t help and not we have an undersized 1 tech.

Hopefully Zimmer comes in and gets him back up to his playing weight.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
tyreek hill already makes $30 million per year

jamar chase and justin jefferson's contracts are coming soon and they're going to blow up the WR market again, so sign lamb to a top 5 WR contract before it gets even less manageable

Exactly

Gotta get in while the gettin is good

If Jerry waits to sign him till after Chase or Jefferson get their contracts he will end up spending a shit ton more money than he would if he gets Lamb to the table first. Whatever he ends up signing Lamb for even if it’s outrageous, will still look like a good deal after the other two sign and reset the market.

Top Bottom