dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"The Hogs" with the Redskins (sorry, I don't think that Redkins is politically incorrect),
Don't worry, here they are the Redskins and always will be the Redskins.

Unless you want to call them the Foreskins or Redstinks or something, those are also appropriate.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I can't say I completely disagree with this philosophy although I wouldn't have taken a RB that high or traded up for Claiborne.

Sit back, watch who falls and pull the trigger if you're going to trade up but only for a QB and this isn't a strong draft class for QB's. If a guy like Hendon Hooker falls, he might be worth looking at in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like his arm and touch and if he's interviewed we should be assessing if he or any other QB candidate has the mental make up for the position.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't say I completely disagree with this philosophy although I wouldn't have taken a RB that high or traded up for Claiborne.

Sit back, watch who falls and pull the trigger if you're going to trade up but only for a QB and this isn't a strong draft class for QB's. If a guy like Hendon Hooker falls, he might be worth looking at in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like his arm and touch and if he's interviewed we should be assessing if he or any other QB candidate has the mental make up for the position.
The year they drafted Claiborne, he was universally regarded as the best defensive player in the draft. They admitted one of the reasons they ultimately traded up to 6 to get him was how cheap it was relative to most yrs to go from where we were (14 I believe) to the Rams spot at 6., it only cost us our 2nd. The other thing was Rob Ryan was slobbering all over him and had made it clear to Jones and the coaches we needed two great CB's to make his stupid scheme work (which ultimately was awful)

With Zeke, they had a great OL and saw what a really good RB could do behind it in Murray, McFadden was ok in 2015 but he was not a bell cow any more nor did he have long speed that he had when he was young. I think had Bosa made it to our pick they would have taken him, but when the choice came down to Zeke v Ramsey they thought Zeke would have a greater impact on the entire team (and he did). Ramsey is better today, but Zeke was really dominant when he came here and helped us not only score points offensively but help keep a suspect defense off the field.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So I'm listening to the draft show pump up O'Cyrus Torrence, and they are debating his (heavy) feet, and all I can think is NO, not a pure, guard only, in round 1. Okay, great he has size, but if size and power is what you want, and you're set on drafting OL, then I'd take Dawand Jones who I think will be there (we'll see after the combine if I still think he'll be there at 26).

But I don't think that we should talk as if Tyler Smith at LT is a done deal. I think for as good as Tyler Smith played at LT, he could be an even better LG. I think he has a shot at being Larry Allen at LG.

So I'd plan on playing Tyler Smith at LG and draft a guy like DeWand (there might be another OT there at 26) and roll with that.

Now, Dewand is 6-8 and 360 pounds. My concern is over if he has the explosiveness out of his stance to get into position to block in the NFL. If he doesn't, then a guy like Micah Parson will blow past Dewand before he even stands up.

But that's something for the scouts to look at and also the trainers to assess. If he needs a little work in that area, then maybe it can be addressed by focusing on certain types of explosive exercises, and dropping weight (he'd still be frigging HUGE). I'm guessing that as a HUGE man Dewand has never focused on explosion exercises in his life.

But I know this, if Dewand can effectively get out of his stance then once he has a hold of the DE, forget about it.

Then I'd ask Tyron Smith to be a mentor and valued swing tackle. It would have extended his career 5 years if he wanted to stay around that long. Jason Petes could be my swing guard emergency tackle.

Anyway, I don't like the O'Cyrus Torrence talk.

Now I'd also like to get a little more beef at center.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
^^^ Also known meetings have happened with TN QB Herndon Hooker and GA RB Kenny McIntosh
About 5 percent will agree with me, but I'd love to see Jerry grow a pair of balls again and draft Herndon Hooker in round 1 to get him on a 5-year deal.

I'd develop him in year one. Have Dak earn that huge contract in 2023 by playing. Dump Dak after 2023 and make Herndon the starter.

Dak is untradeable in 2023 because of his salary and his no trade clause, but if Jerry doesn't renegotiate the contract then they can dump him after 2023 and the cap hit will be tolerable.

My personal projection of Hooker is that he will be at least what Dak is as a player, but possibly better. So starting in 2024 we'd have 3 years to get a SB with a QB on a rookie deal taken at 26.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i went through some senior bowl rosters of years past and started typing NFL players that i've seen start in the league or that i recognize.. lots of cowboys throughout the years (most not listed because they sucked)

QB kenny pickett
QB bailey zappe
RB james cook
RB dameon pierce
RB brian robinson
WR jahan dotson
TE jake ferguson
OL cole strange
OL matt waletzko
LB quay walker

QB mac jones
RB michael carter
RB najee harris
RB khalil herbert
RB elijah mitchell
RB rhamondre stevenson
WR devonta smith
WR kadarius toney
OL creed humphrey
OL landon dickerson
OL trey smith
DT osa odighizuwa
DT marlon tuipulotu
LB jabril cox

QB jalen hurts
QB justin herbert
QB jordan love
RB antonio gibson
TE adam trautman
WR brandon aiyuk
WR michael pittman jr
WR chase claypool
OT josh jones
OT terrence steele
EDGE josh uche
DT javon kinlaw
LB logan wilson
LB anfernee jennings
S jeremy chinn
S kvon wallace
S kyle dugger

QB daniel jones
RB tony pollard
WR hunter renfrow
WR deebo samuel
WR terry mclaurin
WR jakobi meyers
OL dalton risner
DE montez sweat
DE lj collier
LB bobby okereke
LB sione takitaki
LB dre greenlaw
CB rock ya-sin
S juan thornhill
S darnell savage
S will harris
S nasir adderley

QB josh allen
QB baker mayfield
WR michael gallup
WR allen lazard
WR dj chark
TE tyler conklin
TE troy fumagalli
TE mike gesicki
C bradley bozeman
OG alex cappa
C austin corbett
OG wyatt teller
DE marcus davenport
DT da'shawn hand
DT poonda ford
LB darius leonard
LB uchenne nwosu
LB ja'whaun bentley
LB fred warner

RB kareen hunt
RB jamaal williams
WR cooper kupp
TE evan engram
TE blake jarwin
TE gerald everett
TE eric saubert
C ethan pocic
OG dion dawkins
OT taylor moton
DT dalvin tomlinson
DT carlos watkins
LB hassan reddick
CB tre white
CB chidobe awuzie
CB rasul douglas
CB jourdan lewis
S john johnson

QB dak prescott
QB carson wentz
WR malcolm mitchell
WR sterling shepard
C graham glasgow
OG cody whitehair
OG joe dahl
DT matt ioannidis
DT javon hargrave
DT sheldon rankins
DT dj reader
DT jarran reed
LB deion jones
LB blake martinez
LB nick kwiatkoski
LB kyler fackrell
LB joe schobert
CB jonathan jones
CB jalen mills
CB james bradberry
S kevin byard

RB david johnson
WR tyler lockett
WR jamison crowder
WR ty montomery
TE nick boyle
OG tre jackson
OG shaq mason
OT rob havenstein
OT ali marpet
OT donovan smith
OT la'el collins
OG laken tomlinson
DE henry anderson
DE trey flowers
DE preston smith
DT grady jarrett
DT carl davis
DT danny shelton
DE zadarius smith
LB jordan hicks
S adrian amos
CB quandre diggs
S damarious randall
CB eric rowe
S jaquiski tartt

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
About 5 percent will agree with me, but I'd love to see Jerry grow a pair of balls again and draft Herndon Hooker in round 1 to get him on a 5-year deal.

I'd develop him in year one. Have Dak earn that huge contract in 2023 by playing. Dump Dak after 2023 and make Herndon the starter.

Dak is untradeable in 2023 because of his salary and his no trade clause, but if Jerry doesn't renegotiate the contract then they can dump him after 2023 and the cap hit will be tolerable.

My personal projection of Hooker is that he will be at least what Dak is as a player, but possibly better. So starting in 2024 we'd have 3 years to get a SB with a QB on a rookie deal taken at 26.
I need to watch more of HH but the one game I saw him play in full was vs UGA, and he was not very impressive that day and Georgia's defense got absolutely carved up vs LSU and OSU vs the pass. It also is a little concerning in that the guy that replaced Hooker when he tore his ACL played as good (some might say even better). Now that could be because the backup is really talented, or it might be Josh Heupel's system. He also just turned 25.

That said, Hooker has size and a pretty live arm, appears to be pretty smart and was not a 1 yr wonder (his 2021 season was also outstanding).

I think at his age and considering he is almost 100% not going to play this year, getting him on a 5yr deal (essentially 6 if you count the franchise tag) is important. If they ended up going that route, moving down a few spots to the end of the round, still taking him and adding a 3rd or something else wouldn't be a bad idea.

I need to watch more of Stanford's Tanner McKee's, but I think the same scenario applies to him too. Taking him in the 1st and controlling him for 5 (or likely 6) years makes some sense. I just don't know if this organization has that kind of foresight. They are a good team and adding a really good skill player (or starting OL/CB) at 26 is also something that makes sense.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I like th kid but not sure I'd take him round 1. If he goes in round 1, so be it. But if I take a QB in round 1, it's going to be a trade up for premier QB or grab one of those guys if they fall.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
anybody like richardson? QB from florida. or is he gone in the top 20?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
anybody like richardson? QB from florida. or is he gone in the top 20?

Dude has no accuracy whatsoever. He's big and fast and has a cannon, but he's as raw as you can get.

I wouldn't take him but I hope someone drafting before us does so we don't have to worry about it.

Top Bottom