Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
integrity of the game, sir
In an ideal world, perhaps, but in reality is a factor in how many decisions any team in the league makes? If it's above 12 percent anywhere I'd be shocked.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
In an ideal world, perhaps, but in reality is a factor in how many decisions any team in the league makes? If it's above 12 percent anywhere I'd be shocked.
they skipped the experienced backup and went straight to the third stringer. that sucks.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The 1992 Cowboys were one of the best and most talented teams in the history of the league
Of course, but AT THE TIME nobody knew that. It hadn't been proven yet. There was a feeling. An idea. But there were also questions. Only Jimmy himself believed he had the pat hand he turned out to be holding.

I don't see it any differently based on results and history, 30 years ago we didn't KNOW to any certainty how good they were or could be. THAT'S what I'm talking about. I'm NOT comparing the two teams based on roster or results.

Derrick Henry has always owned the Jags, getting 140 yards per game average against them. And yesterday you could SEE they weren't going to let that happen anymore.

A guy ran a fumble back? The fumble resulting from sudden electrifying violence reminiscent of yes, the 92 Cawboys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Of course, but AT THE TIME nobody knew that. It hadn't been proven yet. There was a feeling. An idea. But there were also questions. Only Jimmy himself believed he had the pat hand he turned out to be holding.

I don't see it any differently based on results and history, 30 years ago we didn't KNOW to any certainty how good they were or could be. THAT'S what I'm talking about. I'm NOT comparing the two teams based on roster or results.

Derrick Henry has always owned the Jags, getting 140 yards per game average against them. And yesterday you could SEE they weren't going to let that happen anymore.

A guy ran a fumble back? The fumble resulting from sudden electrifying violence reminiscent of yes, the 92 Cawboys.
Dude they were 11-5 and won a playoff game the year before.

Then went out and had another blockbuster draft and traded for Charles Haley and Thomas Everett

You are absolutely brain dead comparing a 9-8 Jags team to the 92 Cowboys

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Go back and read your SI NFL preview from 1992

Peter King even predicted the Cowboys would be in the Super Bowl and made the comment "I'd rather be a year early on the Cowboys than a year late"

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dude they were 11-5 and won a playoff game the year before.

Then went out and had another blockbuster draft and traded for Charles Haley and Thomas Everett

Dude you are absolutely brain dead comparing a 9-8 Jags team to the 92 Cowboys
You only see it through the prism of the knowledge of results. Very narrow minded. Can't take yourself back 30 years and remember how tenuous it really was. Remember seeing the flashes. But not knowing if those translate to the pinnacle.

Jags results this year? I already said, one playoff win. I'm not comparing rosters or results. I'm comparing the vibe. Sad when people are incapable of such.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You only see it through the prism of the knowledge of results. Very narrow minded. Can't take yourself back 30 years and remember how tenuous it really was. Remember seeing the flashes. But not knowing if those translate to the pinnacle.

Jags results this year? I already said, one playoff win. I'm not comparing rosters or results. I'm comparing the vibe. Sad when people are incapable of such.
It wasn't tenuous at all Genius, everybody knew the Cowboys were going to be good in 1992. Except you apparently.

They were fucking loaded and everyone knew it, especially after we got Haley before the season started.

I doubt anyone thought the Jags had a chance to even sniff the playoffs this year before the season.

Like I said, if you were going to make that type of comparison the proper one might have been Dallas in 1990. They were 1-15 the year before and got to 7-7 before an injury to Aikman the final two games derailed a likely playoff appearance.

Comparing the Jags to an ultra loaded Dallas team in 1992 is complete fucking lunacy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
everybody knew the Cowboys were going to be good in 1992.
"Good" is far different from the pinnacle. They were "good" in 91. Good in 92 but there WAS doubt.

You just have some nonsense religious fervor going on, don't dare mention the 92 team! It's silly.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The difference between then and now is when it happened in 91, 92 and 93 Jimmy went ape shit on the team and made sure it didnt happen again the next week, or two weeks later.

Players that fucked up saw repercussions, now they just get attaboys from Jerruh and Spawn

Can't completely disagree. Although Jimmy had 8, 22 and 88. All future HoF'ers. It only worked because he drafted those players and they were some of the best at their respective positions.

Jimmy once said if leon Lett (?) fell asleep during a team meeting he'd get him a pillow.....LOL!!!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"Good" is far different from the pinnacle. They were "good" in 91. Good in 92 but there WAS doubt.

You just have some nonsense religious fervor going on, don't dare mention the 92 team! It's silly.
The only people that had "doubt" about the Cowboys being good in 1992 were people that hated the team and "hoped" they wouldnt be good.

Everyone else knew that team was really, really good.

Just stop dude, you are making yourself look silly. It was a braindead comparison.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Although Jimmy had 8, 22 and 88. All future HoF'ers. It only worked because he drafted those players and they were some of the best at their respective positions.
He actually didn't draft Irvin.

Its somehow funny, but Gil Brandt was the worst draft guy in the league from 78-87 and drafted a plethora of busts and no talent flubs, but he got Irvin, Norton and Chad Hennings in the 88 draft, his last one before finally being put out to pasture.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know they got in, but the Jags are closer to the 1990 Cowboys.
Since you posted above that Jags had back to back #1 picks, Had Jimmy not drafted Steve Walsh in the Supp Draft, we'd have had the #1 overall pick in back to back drafts in 89 and 90. I'm pretty sure based on his comments Jimmy would have picked Junior Seau, although his own DT (Miami) Cortez Kennedy would have made it an interesting discussion I'm sure.

And had Aikman not got hurt, we'd have made the playoffs his 2nd yr.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He actually didn't draft Irvin.

Its somehow funny, but Gil Brandt was the worst draft guy in the league from 78-87 and drafted a plethora of busts and no talent flubs, but he got Irvin, Norton and Chad Hennings in the 88 draft, his last one before finally being put out to pasture.

Correct.......my point was that Jimmy had talent, most of which drafted, to be able to be hard ass he was.

Top Bottom