dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We pick a ham sammich, dbair will defend it. Golden!
If by "defend it" you mean I respond with posting some actual facts and data, then yeah. I guess you are right.

We needed OL, pass rusher and WR help in the worst way (among other things) and so far, we got three guys with real talent and upside. Compared to where they were expected to go, that's about where we got them at. We didn't draft some 6th and 7th round flubs with day one and two picks. We're drafting towards the end of every round so all the prospects are going to have some warts.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bucky Brooks comments on our draft picks:

(added day one in too)

Dallas Cowboys
Tyler Smith
Tulsa · OT

As a raw, unrefined athlete with outstanding physical tools, Smith has the potential to quickly develop into an all-star-caliber blocker if he improves his technique. With solid coaching and a strong work ethic, Smith could blossom as an edge blocker within this system.

Pick
Dallas Cowboys
Sam Williams
Mississippi · DE

The dynamic pass rusher from Ole Miss is a spectacular sack artist with elite first-step quickness and burst. Williams has a natural feel for rushing the passer, and his exceptional sack production could translate into monster numbers for him as a situational pass rusher.

Pick
Dallas Cowboys
Jalen Tolbert
South Alabama · WR

The ultra-productive pass catcher is a classic WR1 prototype with strong hands and rapidly improving route-running skills. Tolbert might need a little time to acclimate to the pro game, but he has all of the tools to develop into a solid starter early in his career.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jets are having a bigtime draft.

It's on paper of course, but if the QB they drafted last year ends up being a consistent starter they have really added a ton of talent this year. They will be considerably better this year and next yr could be a playoff contender for sure.

I like their HC too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And by the way, this is absolutely the lousiest coverage in the history of the draft.

I havent watched any of ESPN yet (I DVRd it like most years and then go back and watch the Cowboys picks, comments, interviews with Cowboy people (if any), but the NFLN coverage has been terrible.

Most of what makes the coverage so terrible is garbage Goodell and the league office stuck in there.

I remember when the draft coverage was about seeing them pick players and then discussing said players, showing highlights, going to numerous club's "War-rooms" and having NFL reporters on-site at a bunch of them.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
From CBSSports.com, best available today

Best available prospects entering Day 3​

1. Daniel Faalele, OT, Minnesota (No. 38 overall)
2. Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina (No. 45 overall)
3. Darian Kinnard, OL, Kentucky (No. 48 overall)
4. Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State (No. 53 overall)
5. Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina (No. 61 overall)
6. Max Mitchell, OT, Louisiana (No. 63 overall)
7. Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M (No. 65 overall)
8. Chris Paul, OG, Tulsa (No. 69 overall)
9. Khalil Shakir, WR, Boise State (No. 77 overall)
10. Josh Jobe, CB, Alabama (No. 85 overall)
11. Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest (No. 86 overall)
12. Montaric Brown, CB, Arkansas (No. 88 overall)
13. Tariq Woolen, CB, Texas-San Antonio (No. 89 overall)
14. Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida (No. 90 overall)
15. Calvin Austin III, WR, Memphis (No. 94 overall)
16. Dohnovan West, OG, Arizona State (No. 97 overall)
17. Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma (No. 98 overall)
18. Charlie Kolar, TE, Iowa State (No. 100 overall)
19. Micah McFadden, LB, Indiana (No. 101 overall)
20. Kalia Davis, DT, UCF (No. 102 overall)
21. Jamaree Salyer, OG, Georgia (No. 104 overall)
22. Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri (No. 106 overall)
23. Zyon McCollum, CB, Sam Houston State (No. 107 overall)
24. Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin (No. 109 overall)
25. Verone McKinley III, S, Oregon (No. 110 overall)
26. Joshua Williams, CB, Fayetteville State (No. 111 overall)
27. Adam Anderson, EDGE, Georgia (No. 114 overall)
28. Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati (No. 115 overall)
29. Tyreke Smith, EDGE, Ohio State (No. 116 overall)
30. Derion Kendrick, CB, Georgia (No. 117 overall)
31. Carson Strong, QB, Nevada (No. 119 overall)
32. Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina (No. 120 overall)
33. Percy Butler, S, Louisiana (No. 121 overall)
34. Kyren Williams, RB, Notre Dame (No. 122 overall)
35. Jashaun Corbin, RB, Florida State (No. 123 overall)
36. Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson (No. 124 overall)
37. Braxton Jones, OT, Southern Utah (No. 125 overall)
38. Matt Araiza, P, San Diego State (No. 126 overall)
39. Damone Clark, LB, LSU (No. 128 overall)
40. Kellen Diesch, OT, Arizona State (No. 129 overall)
41. Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State (No. 130 overall)
42. Jalyn Armour-Davis, CB, Alabama (No. 131 overall)
43. Thayer Munford, OL, Ohio State (No. 132 overall)
44. Marquis Hayes, OG, Oklahoma (No. 134 overall)
45. Dane Belton, S, Iowa (No. 135 overall)
46. Mario Goodrich, CB, Clemson (No. 136 overall)
47. Spencer Burford, OL, Texas-San Antonio (No. 137 overall)
48. Cade Mays, OG, Tennessee (No. 139 overall)
49. Malcolm Rodriguez, LB, Oklahoma State (No. 141 overall)
50. Lecitus Smith, OG, Virginia Tech (No. 142 overall)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
More draft pick analysis/grades, this one from Chad Rueter on NFL.com

Grade
C

Tulsa OT Tyler Smith (No. 24 overall)

Analysis: Smith showed very good athleticism for a 324-pounder at Tulsa and at the NFL Scouting Combine but is an extremely raw talent. His power was overwhelming against most of the college competition he faced, so the Cowboys decided to take a shot on the upside to hope he can become a force in time.

Day 2 draft picks
Grade
B+

Analysis: The Cowboys took a shot on the upside of offensive lineman Tyler Smith in the first round and then gambled on Williams' speed and bend on the outside, despite some off-field concerns. Tolbert is a downfield threat and was a much better value in the third round than several of the receivers selected in the second.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's my issue with this draft. IMO, our picks seemed predetermined based on need. Jerry and his spawn just can't keep their mouths shut and I'd bet any team worth a darn knew who they were targeting. Last year, we absolutely had to have a corner and the ones we thought would fall were selected before our pick and we "settled" for the BPA and got a generational talent. Our 2nd round CB didn't get on the field and saw more action off the field than off it. Meanwhile, Diggs emerged as a future star.

We're going to look back and say if we took X and Y player who were picked after us, we'd be deeper in talent. Instead, we took 2 players with red flags. The teams that draft well like the Ravens hit it out of the park. The Eagles and Giants are having good drafts, and not just because they picked higher....but they had a strategy. Howie Roseman puts on a GM clinic....getting 1sts for Bradford and Wentz and using those picks to acquire more talent and trade around the draft board. Meanwhile, we can't seem to get any premium picks for any talent and this from the clown who wants us to believe he was the architect of the Hershel Walker trade.

We're looking at our picks and pimping them because of their "potential." We take the Gimp in the 2nd who had a catastrophic injury but shy away from Nakobe Dean because the guy needs a non-career threatening surgery. Travis Jones in the middle with Parsons at DE would have been unstoppable. Same with Jermaine Johnson or Tyler Linderbaum or Devonte Wyatt or Cam Jurgens. All these guys fell and would have been great additions to the lines.

I'm getting too old waiting for all these players, picked with a premium pick, to develop. Thank God for Parsons who we had to "settle" for.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One of the things that stands out about Williams is the production he got as a pass rusher when you watch how the Ole Miss defense lines up on most downs.

He has ALOT of sacks and QB hits from a 3-man pass rush. They do play a different scheme than the typical SEC type defense and in watching his clips (and remembering from games they were on TV) Ole Miss is a base 3-3-5 defense and in a large % of plays, only 3 players go after the QB.

If has indeed turned his life around he definitely has the tools to be a great pass rusher, and unlike at Ole Miss he will rushing from NFL style defensive schemes moving forward. The guy has legit sub 4.5 speed and they say does tomahawk jams on the basketball court like its nothing. Super productive in the best college football conference and he got better every year. Unlike Randy Gregory, who was a legit stoner head and didnt have a true passion for the game, this kid LOVES the game and works his tail off. Dan Quinn supposedly loved this guy after watching his tape and then working him out himself.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jets are having a bigtime draft.

It's on paper of course, but if the QB they drafted last year ends up being a consistent starter they have really added a ton of talent this year. They will be considerably better this year and next yr could be a playoff contender for sure.

I like their HC too.
They're defiately trying their damndest to put Zach Wilson in a position to succeed. Darnold didn't get this much effort from the front office, that's for sure.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And by the way, this is absolutely the lousiest coverage in the history of the draft.

I havent watched any of ESPN yet (I DVRd it like most years and then go back and watch the Cowboys picks, comments, interviews with Cowboy people (if any), but the NFLN coverage has been terrible.

Most of what makes the coverage so terrible is garbage Goodell and the league office stuck in there.

I remember when the draft coverage was about seeing them pick players and then discussing said players, showing highlights, going to numerous club's "War-rooms" and having NFL reporters on-site at a bunch of them.
Haven't seen any of NFL Network's yet. ESPN's has been lousy, but with Greenberg as the anchor it's about what I expected. I've actually been mostly listening to it on Fox Sports Radio, better that either to this point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Fairly decent day three. Wisconsin TE Jake Ferguson is similar in some ways to Schultz but is regarded as an above average blocker, and Wisconsin year in and year out has a good rushing game where the TE's play an integral role in the blocking scheme. According to reports we were going to draft Iowa St TE Charlie Kolar but he got picked 1 pick before us

Matt Waletzko from N Dakota is interesting, huge guy, massive wing span and arm length and good movement skills. Will obviously need time to get stronger (NFL weight program) and refine his skills, but he's got some ability and could eventually be a LT.

Didnt know anything about Fresno St CB Daron Bland but saw his clips on NFLN and their draft people liked him a lot. Big, great speed, long arms and attacks the football in the air.

Damone Clark obviously wont help us this yr, but this kid was awesome on the field for LSU, can be a true 3 down LB, smart, great leader, great tackler. Would have prob been a 2nd or 3rd rd pick if not for the spinal fusion syrgery, although his prognosis is excellent according to reports and should be ready for 2023 offseason workouts.

Loved the John Ridgeway pick. Dude was one of the top rated run defending DT's in college football last yr and has tremendous size and strength. Wont give us much for pass rushing but he is good at holding up blockers and has snaps where he generates quite a push.

Dont know anything about the Oklahoma St LB we picked in rd 6, supposedly a great athlete and was drafted more for what he can do on special teams.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Loved the John Ridgeway pick. Dude was one of the top rated run defending DT's in college football last yr and has tremendous size and strength. Wont give us much for pass rushing but he is good at holding up blockers and has snaps where he generates quite a push.
He's the yin to Williams's yang. I got no problem with near-specialization on the DL. You got run stopping guys and you got pass rushing guys and you got all-around guys.

touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
Even with all of this new incoming talent, I still say Dak will let us down ... when it counts..

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even with all of this new incoming talent, I still say Dak will let us down ... when it counts..

Dak is still the best QB in the East and it's still a QB driven league. But the Eagles are nipping at our heals. They had a heck of a draft and brought in Carson Strong as an UFA. This is why the Eagles are going to overtake us in the East. They have a plan and they don't rest on their laurels with Jalen Hurts, or Carson Wentz, or Sam Bradford.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of NFL Network's yet. ESPN's has been lousy, but with Greenberg as the anchor it's about what I expected. I've actually been mostly listening to it on Fox Sports Radio, better that either to this point.
Its the production of it more than NFLN or ESPNs coverage (which is also incredibly lousy) just do what the hell all the NFL fans want you do when viewing this- TELL US ABOUT THE DAMN PLAYERS. Show more than two video clips. Talk to coaches other than Mike Tomlin every fucking 10 minutes.

The remainder of it is the NFL and that fucking stooge Goodell, ruining what was a great thing for 20+ years but adding all this bullshit to it. Seriously, having the National Gay Flag Football league announce a pick? Braindead idiots like Ed Marianaro announcing a pick (who literally had to be talked to on live TV by one of the producers and told to STFU and tell the pick). They had an illiterate dumbass NCAA basketball coach announce a pick for the "New Jersey Jets"

I've watched the draft religiously since the late 80's. I remember a time when only the 1st rd was broadcast and we'd watch the crawl on ESPN all day afterward just to see who we picked. I can remember actually CALLING the Dallas Morning News or Ft Worth Star Telegram and asking for updates. Then it was the greatest thing since sliced bread when they actually started showing the draft in its entirety.

Now its fucking awful, almost unwatchable.

Top Bottom