dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NE has a total no-name o-line with total no-name RBs, two no-name FBs, and they line up and hit you in the mouth repeatedly. All day if necessary.
We essentially had a "no-name" OL in Jimmy's years too. Erik Williams and Mark Stepnoski were the highest drafted starters on those OL's (3rd round of 89 and 1991). They got Gesek in a trade for peanuts. Everyone though Stepnoski was too small to be a legit starter then and he turned into a perennial probolwer because he had a great OL coach and was himself a tremendous technician who played with great leverage. Mark Tuinei was actually a DT and turned into a high quality starting LT under Tony Wise. Nate Newton was a fatso castoff from the USFL and Redskins and turned himself into a great starter. Kevin Gogan was another really large guy drafted late (8th rd) that really developed under Wise. People also forget we won that 2nd Super Bowl with three different starting centers.

Coaching matters.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but its possible this could be related to Zeke's injury.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Coaching matters.
Correct. Exactly my overall point.

Despite many plays for losses, 3 and outs and plenty of punts, NE just kept hitting them in the mouth anyway. 3rd and 8? 96 wham. 3rd and 9? 54 G lead power crossbuck trap. And they started actually working as the second half trod on.

I assumed I would see them start throwing in the 2nd qtr with the wind at their backs. Not at all. They just obstinately kept running right into the teeth of a D that knew what was coming.

Selling this to your staff and players then drilling them on it wasn't done in one week's prep. This level of execution has to become muscle memory, second nature. Takes lots and lots of correct reps. Built over several weeks. That's great coaching.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Correct. Exactly my overall point.

Despite many plays for losses, 3 and outs and plenty of punts, NE just kept hitting them in the mouth anyway. 3rd and 8? 96 wham. 3rd and 9? 54 G lead power crossbuck trap. And they started actually working as the second half trod on.

I assumed I would see them start throwing in the 2nd qtr with the wind at their backs. Not at all. They just obstinately kept running right into the teeth of a D that knew what was coming.

Selling this to your staff and players then drilling them on it wasn't done in one week's prep. This level of execution has to become muscle memory, second nature. Takes lots and lots of correct reps. Built over several weeks. That's great coaching.
Their rookie QB has been impressive, but he is still a rookie QB.

That's another explanation for why Belichick is emphasizing the run game, especially on the road.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Their rookie QB has been impressive, but he is still a rookie QB.

That's another explanation for why Belichick is emphasizing the run game, especially on the road.
I think that kid is gonna be fine especially under the tutelage and protection he's getting. Playing very good defense is also hallmark to the equation. You don't need to expose your rookie QB to 35 dropbacks when ypur D is keeping the enemy out of the end zone.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Nate Newton was a fatso castoff from the USFL and Redskins and turned himself into a great starter.
Nate first signed as a UDFA with warshton, despite first being drafted by Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL. He was cut by warshton then was injured in a car wreck that same day. After recovering he signed with the Bandits and was a two year starter, and played for them until the league folded. He is on the USFL all-time team. He wasn't a castoff.

Tex Schramm told Jerry not to bother with Newton, said he was "fat and lazy" and he was. Jimmy said "fat we can fix but we'll see if he is lazy." And he stayed fat and out of shape until he lost a bet to Jimmy, that Jimmy could beat him in a footrace. Which he did, in front of the assembled roster and coaching staff, and training camp media. This embarrassment pushed him to get in much better shape and drop some of the flab. There's you some coaching.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The OL scheme is supposedly a zone blocking system so it isnt just "beat the man in front of you".
It's a hybrid mess, no real commitment to any actual scheme. That's why it doesn't have a chance to work. That's why we see guys just fucking standing there not knowing what to do on any given play. We call some zone running plays but like you said, we telegraph them. Almost like somebody doesn't want the run game to work all that well because he prefers to air it out all the time. Just wants to go through the motions of running the ball, so later can tell questioning reporters "the run just wasn't working."

I mean, we all know what a committed run team looks like. This ain't it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a hybrid mess, no real commitment to any actual scheme. That's why it doesn't have a chance to work. That's why we see guys just fucking standing there not knowing what to do on any given play. We call some zone running plays but like you said, we telegraph them. Almost like somebody doesn't want the run game to work all that well because he prefers to air it out all the time. Just wants to go through the motions of running the ball, so later can tell questioning reporters "the run just wasn't working."

I mean, we all know what a committed run team looks like. This ain't it.

I think they need some scheme changes to the run game, but I don't think the issue is "somebody doesn't want the run game to work". Jones paid Zeke too much money to employ coaches that had a total disregard for using him, and if he thought that was happening I am sure he would intervene (ie, meddle) or get those people out of here.

We also heard some rumblings for the first time in recent days of Dak having a case of Romo-itis and audibling to passes out of run calls, perhaps in some situations that didn't warrant it. Romo got so bad at it at one point that our own defensive players started calling him out on it. Hopefully Prescott will address it.

That said, I don't care how many runs they call right now, if they don't block better they are mostly wasted plays. They can't continue to try to run on early downs and only gain 1 or 2 yards (or worse, no yards or losses) and expect to be successful.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that kid is gonna be fine especially under the tutelage and protection he's getting. Playing very good defense is also hallmark to the equation. You don't need to expose your rookie QB to 35 dropbacks when ypur D is keeping the enemy out of the end zone.

I agree, I like him a lot. Belichick has to be just plain giddy that he sat there on draft day and watched the guy that will probably end up being the best of the bunch fall right in his lap, and he didn't have to sacrifice any draft picks or players to move up as many had predicted.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, I don't care how many runs they call right now, if they don't block better they are mostly wasted plays. They can't continue to try to run on early downs and only gain 1 or 2 yards (or worse, no yards or losses) and expect to be successful
And you're not gonna see better blocking until we drill for it.
I think they need some scheme changes to the run game, but I don't think the issue is "somebody doesn't want the run game to work". Jones paid Zeke too much money to employ coaches that had a total disregard for using him, and if he thought that was happening I am sure he would intervene (ie, meddle) or get those people out of here
I think it's more likely that jeri is just ignorant to the situation. AND that jeri wants the entertainment of an air show.

The ground game just ain't sexy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree, I like him a lot. Belichick has to be just plain giddy that he sat there on draft day and watched the guy that will probably end up being the best of the bunch fall right in his lap, and he didn't have to sacrifice any draft picks or players to move up as many had predicted.
He's an excellent decision maker too. No bonehead plays.

Top Bottom