Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Captain Obvious, anyone?

Jane Slater‏ @SlaterNFL 11 minutes ago

Stephen Jones also acknowledged that defense was an area of the team they will once again have to heavily address in the draft.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jane Slater‏ @SlaterNFL 22 minutes ago

Stephen Jones says he talked to #Cowboys WR Amari Cooper and his agent at the Super Bowl. When I asked him to characterize conversation “very upbeat” but “we haven’t really gone into any details with any players since the end of the season. Really want to see where the CBA is.”

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jane Slater‏ @SlaterNFL 33 minutes ago

Stephen Jones says he talked to #Cowboys WR Amari Cooper and his agent at the Super Bowl. When I asked him to characterize conversation “very upbeat” but “we haven’t really gone into any details with any players since the end of the season. Really want to see where the CBA is.”

Goes on to say that on the contracts of Dak and Amari, as with past players, “when things get momentum, they can happen in 24 hours its just a matter of can you get some traction and get headed in the right direction .”

Stephen Jones says they’ve had “low” to “non-existent” activity on negotating Dak Prescott’s new contract. They last talked in September and negotiations stopped when “they were where they were and we were done where we were.”Says nothing acrimonious though and still their guy.

Says he was surprised deal didn’t get done at beginning of season because “we all thought it was close.”

Jones agrees players may not like the tag but “we don’t have an issue with it, if we can’t come to an agreement.” Jones would not characterize what tag they would use or specifics of his deal and negotiating to date.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jane Slater‏ @SlaterNFL 25 minutes ago

On a possible Dez Bryant reunion, Stephen Jones tells me “we’ll go over that as a staff as we move forward. Obviously our focus has been our own guys and guys we had here last year. As we start to expand the web, we will look at things like that.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They last talked in September and negotiations stopped when “they were where they were and we were done where we were.”Says nothing acrimonious though
Yes it sure as fuck IS acrimonious. He turned down your more than generous offer, putting all his chips forward betting on what turned out to be a losing hand. He does NOT get to rake in the chips now. He takes what the fuck you offer now. He lost his fucking gamble!

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yes it sure as fuck IS acrimonious. He turned down your more than generous offer, putting all his chips forward betting on what turned out to be a losing hand. He does NOT get to rake in the chips now. He takes what the fuck you offer now. He lost his fucking gamble!
I keep hearing that he has leverage and I don't get it based on exactly what you outlined.
He proved shit last year. Now if he had done what Wentz did last year that is someone you consider paying but with what Dak had at his disposable he had to do better and just didn't.
When he signs I'm pretty sure I will be acrimonious!!!!

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tuesday, Feb 25, 2020 01:45 PM

Stephen on XFL Kickoff, Draft Needs, Dez & More

INDIANAPOLIS – Yes, there were some hot topics coming from Stephen Jones this week that didn't involve contracts.
That doesn't exactly seem plausible, considering the high importance being placed on the likes of Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper, and even Byron Jones, who might be on the outside looking in when it comes to getting a new deal – at least with the Cowboys.

But Stephen Jones met with reporters earlier this week and discussed a variety of topics, many of which weren't related to contract talks.

Here are some of the highlights:

• Witten & Lee: Two established veterans who are in the waiting game right now are Sean Lee and Jason Witten. Both are unrestricted free agents and both have said they want to play in 2020. However, the Cowboys don't seem to be in a big hurry to make a decision regarding their futures. "Sean and Jason, obviously, they're special guys to this organization. What they've accomplished as men, as people, as leaders, they're special," Jones said. "As I've said, our goal is to sign as many of our guys as we can sign, but I'm not going to get into commenting, going down each player. I commented on Dak and Amari, and that's really it."
  • XFL Kickoff: The NFL is always looking to adapt, regardless of where the idea comes from. That being said, Jones admitted the NFL Competition Committee discussed some of the different rules the XFL is using. "We actually looked at one (Monday). We looked at the kickoff," he said. "But it was just to put it in front of us so we could be thinking about it. Certainly, your eyes are always open to what anybody is doing when it comes to the game of football. I'm not ready to have thoughts yet (on the XFL kickoff rule). I mean, I've got thoughts, but I'm not ready to verbalize them yet."
  • BPA: You've heard it before. You'll hear it a lot this year as well. "Best Player Available." That was Jones' answer when asked about the draft priorities, especially with the No. 17 pick. He admitted that defense will be a high priority throughout the draft, but said a lot of it will depend on what happens in March. "Certainly, we have some priorities we think we can get done past Dak and Amari. We think there're some things we can get done before free agency starts. But if they don't, we'll certainly have our priorities there. And if we feel like it's not working out, we'll certainly look elsewhere."
  • Dez Return?: It's been discussed over and over here recently as Dez Bryant has made it clear he would like to return to football, particularly with the Cowboys. Jones said earlier this month that Bryant has approached him on the topic. On Monday, his stance hadn't changed much. "We'll go over that as a staff as we move forward. Obviously, our focus has been our own guys in terms of guys we had here last year. As we start to expand the web, we'll look at things like that."
  • Needing a Tackle?: The Cowboys have two of the best offensive tackles in football in both Tyron Smith and La'el Collins. However, despite another Pro Bowl year, injuries continue to mount up for Smith. When asked if drafting a tackle is a big need, Jones said it's a possibility, but more from a backup standpoint and future starter. "I think you always need a swing tackle. That's just important. You've got to have a top swing tackle. We've been fortunate with Cam (Fleming) to have one. He's done a nice job for us when that happens. But it's not because of Tyron's health. We feel good about his health. We feel good that he'll be ready to roll again and have a great year again."

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 15 hours ago

There is one way the #Cowboys can make sure Dak Prescott doesn't go anywhere & that’s to give him the exclusive franchise tag. Sources say that’s the tag — roughly $33M — they are likely to use. Dallas will try to work out a deal before the deadline, but that will be difficult.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jane Slater‏ @SlaterNFL 15 minutes ago

Latest on Dak: "It's above the Goff deal" acording to a source informed. They would not clarify if that meant annual salary, length in years or the guarantee but confirms a new offer was submitted last week in hopes of an extension vs a franchise tag for Dak Prescott #Cowboys

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
worst front office in football. when all is said and done, Zeke, Dak and Cooper will be significantly overpaid.

Top Bottom