Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I would love to shoot up McCarthy with truth serum and ask him if his decisions to go for it on 4th down are based on how bad he thinks this defense is. Because I cannot understand how the hell he concluded that faking the punt on 4th and 10 from his own 25 using a reverse to a 4th WR who takes the ball 15 yards behind the LOS was a good idea. I thought that was supposed to be a pass and there was a guy wide open about 30 yards downfield. But Wilson never pulled up like he was going to throw it so I have no idea what that was supposed to be.

The Cowboys were down by 4 points. FOUR. But that was only 1 of many stupid plays by Dallas. Running WR screens in the red zone, the reverse option pass in the red zone, the pass on 4th and inches... I just don't get these calls.

The Cowboys do this way too often. Other teams are probably looking for the fakes now. Washington certainly didn't fall for it yesterday. And his explanation that no one was expecting it was such hogwash. If they weren't expecting it on 4th and 10 then why not fake it on 4th and 25 because the surprise factor would be far greater!

I am so disappointed in this coaching staff now. Between McCarthy's risk taking and Kellen Moore's insistence on running the WR screen in the red zone like a drunken gambler, I don't think I Have seen a more poorly coached team. It is as if they are not taking the season seriously.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would love to shoot up McCarthy with truth serum and ask him if his decisions to go for it on 4th down are based on how bad he thinks this defense is.
Obviously you have great confidence in your defense if you are willing to risk giving the opponent the ball inside your own 35. That's not even a consideration for him and isn't entering his thought process.

He uses METRICS to make these decisions. He is married to them. As I explained before, these metrics give odds of success based on a very limited number of factors and do not take into consideration the play call. They do not take into consideration injuries to your o-line. They do not take into consideration how poorly or how well your defense plays. They do not take into consideration momentum, the scoreboard, or the human factor.

The above is why you CAN'T marry yourself to them. But he is married to them. He looks at a chart with down and distance at such and such field position and if the chart says go, he goes. He blindly and mindlessly trusts it. And he lets wonder boy call the stupid plays.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Think of metrics as being similar to playing blackjack

You know the odds when you pull certain hands vs the dealers flop and you know when you should hit, stand, or split. Usually the outcome is favorable, but sometimes it is not. But if you play by the numbers you always split aces and you always stand on dbl face cards. Most of the times you win but sometimes you don’t.

It’s all about the odds in a certain scenario

You can play the perfect hand and still lose

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Think of metrics as being similar to playing blackjack

You know the odds when you pull certain hands vs the dealers flop and you know when you should hit, stand, or split. Usually the outcome is favorable, but sometimes it is not. But if you play by the numbers you always split aces and you always stand on dbl face cards. Most of the times you win but sometimes you don’t.

It’s all about the odds in a certain scenario

You can play the perfect hand and still lose
You can probably have a chance to break even or maybe even come out a little ahead if you're married to metrics in blackjack. But not football.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I heard that our game vs the Ravens got moved

Anyone know the date and time yet?

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
For now. At this point until the Ravens have things under control it's scribbled on a cocktail napkin in restaurant crayon.

Looks like there is a good chance it will be pushed back again, or maybe scrapped altogether. 6 more Ravens players were just added to their Covid-19 list, bringing the total number to 20.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm done with this team. One can clearly see where things are headed. MM has no more than 2 years, and then he'll be fired, and Kellen Moore will be promoted --- as was the plan all along: take a 3rd string QB, make him a QB coach, then OC, and then finally HC all within a span of 5 years. Sure it didn't work well the first time, but it has to work the second time right?

I'll be damned if I watch 10 years of Garrett 2.0. I've never witnessed a team that was so great at assembling a talented roster, only to turn around and commit self-sabotage with bad coaching hires.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
I'm done with this team. One can clearly see where things are headed. MM has no more than 2 years, and then he'll be fired, and Kellen Moore will be promoted --- as was the plan all along: take a 3rd string QB, make him a QB coach, then OC, and then finally HC all within a span of 5 years. Sure it didn't work well the first time, but it has to work the second time right?
Well same with me I am, done for the season. But Sure I hope Jerry can go hell and not come bakick and McCarthy can go to hell as well and hire a new coach. He should be fired already.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I'll be damned if I watch 10 years of Garrett 2.0. I've never witnessed a team that was so great at assembling a talented roster, only to turn around and commit self-sabotage with bad coaching hires.
I'll bet whatever you want on that Laz, there is no fucking way Kellen Moore will be the next HC here. ZERO CHANCE, NADA, ZILCH.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Some are calling this debacle Thursday one of the worst coaching performances ever.

McCarthy almost assuredly has to get a pass due to the most ridiculous injury run in team history, if not league history. But I bet there will be some major shapeups on the staff after the season. Won't surprise me in the least if we have new offensive and defensive coordinators next year.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We had the number one rated offense before Dak went down

Helen Moore ain’t goin nowhere!

Plus he’s Jeruh’s pet cat, so there’s that

It would not surprise me one bit if he Jason Garretts MM

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
127792147_3924226904290635_5563963800345369969_o.jpg

Top Bottom