yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was a teacher in China a couple years ago. He still talks to his students regularly

He showed this to a couple of his students and they both said that this is a more accurate number compared to what the “official numbers” China has released

good to hear another opinion, I dont automatically assume anything I find on the internet is remotely accurate but we know she is not state sponsored given these numbers aren't flattering to that regime plus if you look at her other tweets she is getting videos from within China that are unflattering as well.

Everyone knows China is under-reporting so like your buddy said, its not a stretch to think these numbers are possible and probably at least more accurate than counts officially released by the Chinese gov

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Today update, total infected falling way behind predicted, total deaths exceeding predicted:

1HeGPxt.png

Here's some more data on how many tests have occurred in the US

rBTfZf5.png

courtesy of this site

Something to consider is the testing in the US right now is not random so its overstating the infection rate due to the fact that the people getting tested are exhibiting symptoms and more likely to have C19. It seems we can deduce from this that FAR more people are already infected with the virus in the US that are either asymptomatic or didn't feel bad enough to go to the doctor &/or get tested.

If we can safely assume the death count is likely to be accurate because its small, easy to track and doesn't require massive testing to determine what it is, ie....a death is a death, test to see if the person had C19 and if it was the cause of the death they add to the total count accordingly. The total number could be understated by deaths that haven't been tested for C19 because they would correctly fall in priority behind that of the living. It could also be overstating C19 death totals for lack of post mortem testing as well. Still, it seems the total deaths as reported is likely to be fairly accurate, certainly much moreso than total infected.

The US currently shows approx 87,000 infected and could potentially be 10x that amount for the aforementioned reasons.

So let's assume 870,000 are actually infected the US. Using the current death total of 1321, this would result in a fatality rate of 0.001518390804598% which isn't much higher than the flu. Here's hoping the fatality rate is more in line with this calculation than our worst case fears.

Just spitballing while attempting to play armchair mathematician, so let'r rip fellas on any errors in logic, etc you see

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So let's assume 870,000 are actually infected the US. Using the current death total of 1321, this would result in a fatality rate of 0.001518390804598% which isn't much higher than the flu. Here's hoping the fatality rate is more in line with this calculation than our worst case fears.

Just spitballing while attempting to play armchair mathematician, so let'r rip fellas on any errors in logic, etc you see

I made a similar post at my poker forum and they pointed out the following error:

the error above is that it takes 3-4 weeks for people to succomb to the virus; so if you just look at deaths today you aren't accounting for everyone that's currently infected that will die. So we would expect approximately 10k deaths cumulative approx by the end of April at 1% fatality rate.

Having said that we don't have any reason to expect we will fare better than S. Korea so a floor for the mortality rate should be more like 1.5%
it felt too good to be true 😥

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I made a similar post at my poker forum and they pointed out the following error:

it felt too good to be true 😥

Everyone can look at numbers and interpret them several different ways. There may also be people who had it and recovered and didn't even know it which would influence the statistics.

Unfortunately, I had two friends that recently passed away. Both had severe medical issues and one had the virus which added to his existing complications (heart attack, double pneumonia). At the end of the day, he'll be a Coronavirus statistic but I'm not sure he would have lived had he not been inflicted with the virus.

These are strange times indeed. I have no doubt millions will test positive and I'm equally sure thousands may die. But the level of panic will have a long lasting impact on how we live our lives.

InternetKing

The Elite :-P
Reaction score
Albertson's owned stores all over Usa got this sticker all over the store on the floor like this....

12A50A54-A144-4FD4-B7EA-5C2493490BC5.jpeg

Top Bottom