Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Need to see how they compare to all the others and while he did have a mediocre 40 time at the combine, he did have good 10 yd and 3 cone drills.

10 yd was 1.63

He did improve his 40 time at his pro day.

Hopefully he'll buckle down and keep working to improve. Has some upside. At least he's not someone who will have to bulk up a great deal, already sitting real close to that 300 lb mark.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The 1-year starter thing and 4.9 speed worries me some BUT considering who was available at 28, I think it was a solid pick. I like SPARQ #'s and athleticism (apparently his SPARQ #'s are decent) but in the end, go with what you see on film. Every Michigan game I watched this year, this guy showed up and played big. He's a LDE and a lot of the draft gurus compared him to Carlos Dunlap, which I feel is fair. He's strong, and although I don't think he's an elite blindside rusher, he's a very good pass rusher from the anchor spot (strongside end).

Some things I suspect from today's events. I heard and read that we really liked Adoree and Conley and when they went earlier than many predicted, we were a tad unprepared (just my feeling). It also looks like we wanted Takk McKinley (Atlanta definitely thought so), and although I wanted him badly, after hearing that moron talk, kind of glad we didn't get him.

I really want Quincy Wilson in the 2nd and there's probably going to be a CB run, so don't be surprised if "Trader Jerry" jumps up to get a guy, overpaying as usual to do so.

Chidobe Awuzie, Kevin King, Budda Baker, Fabian Moreu, Obi, Melifonwu, and Cordrea Tankersly are all possibilities. That's 7 DB's I could live with in the 2nd round. It would also mean we added 2 starters to the defense in the first 2 rounds, which is a hell of lot more than we accomplished in free agency.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think what Free might owe compared to Romo is pennies on the dollar there Yim.

Also, the "Barry Sanders" rule was enacted well before the latest CBA's were ever thought about.

The amount is irrelevant, the rule still applies (everything doesn't go in the garbage with each new CBA) and is at the teams discretion thus why I wanted the cowboys to sell Romo on retirement by saying they wouldn't pursue the bonus money as an incentive for Romo to retire vs being released

Its likely moot since its a long shot Romo ever plays again but if a team comes calling, he can go wherever he wants and Dallas won't get shit

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It also looks like we wanted Takk McKinley (Atlanta definitely thought so), and although I wanted him badly, after hearing that moron talk, kind of glad we didn't get him.

Yeah me too, sounds dumber than a box of flat rocks. But then, that fact alone might be why we liked him for our Legion of Boobs secondary rebuild.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So they brought in an LDE to play RDE? Got it. Likely a six sack a year rotational piece.

They've completely bought into this idea that Marinelli can turn players into gods. Just give him 4 hard-working guys and they'll go get the QB. Eventually they will realize they need the speedy bender who can be disruptive and force teams to double-team him, making the other guys better. In the meantime, we just drafted a solid left defensive end who will hold the edge and give us a decent pass rush. Lawrence can't stay healthy and is a free agent after this year. Gregory is a year away (if ever) but is a guy who falls into that category.

I think it is FOOLISH to waste another year of Dak's incredibly affordable 4-year contract, but we could be going into 2018 with a fully-recovered Jaylon Smith, a fresh-off-his-suspension & playing-in-his-last-year of his deal so financially motivated Randy Gregory, David Irving, and Taco Charlton..plus some decent cap room.

Hope like hell we get another defensive starter in round 2.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
The guy is named Taco. And he didn't bring a picture of his dead grandma on stage. Draft success.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The 1-year starter thing and 4.9 speed worries me some BUT considering who was available at 28, I think it was a solid pick. I like SPARQ #'s and athleticism (apparently his SPARQ #'s are decent) but in the end, go with what you see on film. Every Michigan game I watched this year, this guy showed up and played big. He's a LDE and a lot of the draft gurus compared him to Carlos Dunlap, which I feel is fair. He's strong, and although I don't think he's an elite blindside rusher, he's a very good pass rusher from the anchor spot (strongside end).

Some things I suspect from today's events. I heard and read that we really liked Adoree and Conley and when they went earlier than many predicted, we were a tad unprepared (just my feeling). It also looks like we wanted Takk McKinley (Atlanta definitely thought so), and although I wanted him badly, after hearing that moron talk, kind of glad we didn't get him.

I really want Quincy Wilson in the 2nd and there's probably going to be a CB run, so don't be surprised if "Trader Jerry" jumps up to get a guy, overpaying as usual to do so.

Chidobe Awuzie, Kevin King, Budda Baker, Fabian Moreu, Obi, Melifonwu, and Cordrea Tankersly are all possibilities. That's 7 DB's I could live with in the 2nd round. It would also mean we added 2 starters to the defense in the first 2 rounds, which is a hell of lot more than we accomplished in free agency.

Post more amigo.

Good review/preview for tonight. In total agreement with you on the players you list.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So they brought in an LDE to play RDE? Got it. Likely a six sack a year rotational piece.

He played both sides at Michigan and you can also find clips where he is a stand up edge guy in their scheme.

But keep on bellyaching.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently CZ retards are in meltdown mode over Taco pick, especially now that Jones admitted Charlton didn't carry a 1st round grade.

Of course they totally ignored the fact they (Cowboys) said only 18 guys carried a true 1st rd grade for them and we were picking in the 28th spot.

S Jones apparently admitted 1 guy that had a 1st rd grade for them was still on the board (a CB) but they drafted Charlton instead because they thought the odds were far better they could get a quality DB in round two, whereas they felt like none of the remaining DE's were close to Charlton. I can understand that part.

I think though in that situation my preference would have been to move down and take one of those deals (like the one Cleveland gave GB or Seattle's two move downs) assuming it was offered to us.

Everyone agrees SF raped the shit out of Chicago with that deal they did, but very quietly I thought Seattle managed their situation extremely well too. Seattle moved down twice, in total moving from 26-34 and they netted a 3rd a 4th and a 7th this year to do it. Green Bay moved from 29 to 33 and they netted the Browns pick at the top of round 4 (the most valuable day three pick) and they pick first tonight, also a position where they may get several favorable deals.

While for the most part we have drafted better beginning with the 2010 draft, the one area I still think we fall well short compare to some of the better front offices is managing/working the draft. SF got an A+ for that last night (assuming Foster doesn't end up suspended or really compromised due to his potential injury situation). The Bills totally raped Kansas City (on top of the fact I think KC gave away the farm for a guy I dont think will ever amount to much as a starting QB anyway) Seattle and Green Bay did extremely well with their calculated move downs that made sense and netted them valuable mid rd picks.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Kiper for one, didn't even have him in his top 10 DL's still available.

Kiper wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Taco is one of the guys I thought we would end up picking. Taco, Charles Harris, Watt, even Barnett are all the same caliber player. Taco won't likely ever be an elite pass rusher but will be solid for years to come. I'm ok with the pick.

I know Foster was still on the board but I want no part of any player that is already in the drug program. We've seen enough of those kind of guys the last few years. Also apparently something came up medically with Foster right before the start of the draft. He has some issue with his shoulder that could end up cutting his career short. Not sure exactly what it is though.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm sure Marinelli would love to have a Garrett (the #1 overall one, not our spare coach) type talent, but what are you going to do picking at #28?

I don't like that we're basically picking entirely for need -- Steve as much as told the world we're picking a CB with our next pick -- but oh well.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They've completely bought into this idea that Marinelli can turn players into gods. Just give him 4 hard-working guys and they'll go get the QB. Eventually they will realize they need the speedy bender who can be disruptive and force teams to double-team him, making the other guys better. In the meantime, we just drafted a solid left defensive end who will hold the edge and give us a decent pass rush. Lawrence can't stay healthy and is a free agent after this year. Gregory is a year away (if ever) but is a guy who falls into that category.

I think it is FOOLISH to waste another year of Dak's incredibly affordable 4-year contract, but we could be going into 2018 with a fully-recovered Jaylon Smith, a fresh-off-his-suspension & playing-in-his-last-year of his deal so financially motivated Randy Gregory, David Irving, and Taco Charlton..plus some decent cap room.

Hope like hell we get another defensive starter in round 2.

And possibly 11 picks in the 2018 draft.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The guy is named Taco. And he didn't bring a picture of his dead grandma on stage. Draft success.

I honestly thought that was a photo of Aunt Ester from Sanford and Son.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

A tearful goodbye to a dying grandmother? That reminds me of .. someone.

Top Bottom