Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Oh wait i forgot, we picked him so he muuuuuuust be great.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In the post draft press conference when asked about and speaking about Taco's measurable's ......

Jerry in his infinite wisdom goes on to say....

"He looks like a defensive end"

Well that about sums up our entire draft philosophy for the past 20 plus years

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He just doesn't excude "winner" to me. Only able to start one season? Motivational issues? Just not fired up about him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
thats bullshit, they didn't have to demand the money back. I thought the reason being sold is they needed the cap room this year

I think its part of the CBA that if you "retire" you have to give back guaranteed money you didn't earn for PT.

They didn't need the cap room this year, that's one of the reasons they could have just kept him.

They definitely released him so he could keep the money.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He just doesn't excude "winner" to me. Only able to start one season? Motivational issues? Just not fired up about him.

That's fine.

But he got better every year, worked under and excellent coaching staff and the year they moved to a 4-3 defense, he had his best year. He also had big games vs Ohio State and Florida State to end his career.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;yO9MIxmZJAk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO9MIxmZJAk[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;M5WconC1SOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5WconC1SOg[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Stevie saying 2nd rd sets up well for them to get good CB or S that can help immediately.

Would still like to see us add another DE/edge rush guy at some point. Still a number of those guys available.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's fine.

But he got better every year, worked under and excellent coaching staff and the year they moved to a 4-3 defense, he had his best year. He also had big games vs Ohio State and Florida State to end his career.

Yeah he might be the second coming of Martin, White or Too Tall. We shall see but I'm just not feeling it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah he might be the second coming of Martin, White or Too Tall. We shall see but I'm just not feeling it.

I don't think anyone reasonably expects that.

Not a sexy pick, but could become a solid every week starter and help improve a defensive front that sorely needs it.

Like I said earlier if he ends up similar to Jim Jeffocat (or as someone else said, Greg Ellis) the pick is a win.

if he ends up like the last Michigan DL (Kevin brooks) we took in the first round, we'll all be disappointed.

Unlike you and some other bellyachers in other forums, I'll wait till I actually see him play before I'm disappointed though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone reasonably expects that.

Not a sexy pick, but could become a solid every week starter and help improve a defensive front that sorely needs it.

Like I said earlier if he ends up similar to Jim Jeffocat (or as someone else said, Greg Ellis) the pick is a win.

if he ends up like the last Michigan DL (Kevin brooks) we took in the first round, we'll all be disappointed.

Unlike you and some other bellyachers in other forums, I'll wait till I actually see him play before I'm disappointed though.

Not disappointed and never said so, just not fired up. We all can't constantly blow sunshine, some of us have to kind of scoff a bit at a slow, kind of fatboy looking DE who couldn't seem to stay on the field until his last year.

Gonna be a constant injury boy? Low motor, low motivation? We shall see.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Need to see how they compare to all the others and while he did have a mediocre 40 time at the combine, he did have good 10 yd and 3 cone drills.

10 yd was 1.63

He did improve his 40 time at his pro day.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think its part of the CBA that if you "retire" you have to give back guaranteed money you didn't earn for PT.

They didn't need the cap room this year, that's one of the reasons they could have just kept him.

They definitely released him so he could keep the money.

If you read that from a team source, its bullshit. The Barry Sanders rule allows a team to pursue bonuses paid at the discretion of the team (obviously the players association isn't going to voluntarily give back bonus money) and is subject to arbitration, so its not set in stone that it has to happen and is easily waived away by a team that doesn't want to pursue it which we all know jeri wouldn't do.

Doug Free retired and technically owes Dallas bonus money but you won't see Dallas pursuing that either

Its just a typical jeri move where he punts leverage and cowtows to the player and loses potential upside in the process

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If you read that from a team source, its bullshit. The Barry Sanders rule allows a team to pursue bonuses paid at the discretion of the team (obviously the players association isn't going to voluntarily give back bonus money) and is subject to arbitration, so its not set in stone that it has to happen and is easily waived away by a team that doesn't want to pursue it which we all know jeri wouldn't do.

Doug Free retired and technically owes Dallas bonus money but you won't see Dallas pursuing that either

Its just a typical jeri move where he punts leverage and cowtows to the player and loses potential upside in the process

I think what Free might owe compared to Romo is pennies on the dollar there Yim.

Also, the "Barry Sanders" rule was enacted well before the latest CBA's were ever thought about.

Top Bottom