bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
So they brought in an LDE to play RDE? Got it. Likely a six sack a year rotational piece.

wasn't impressed by his game tape. seems kind of slow and plodding. don't see him beating many OTs around the edge. and a damn good Bama player fell right into the Skins' lap. :-(

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't like that we're basically picking entirely for need -- Steve as much as told the world we're picking a CB with our next pick -- but oh well.

Yeah I heard him say that, but its hard to argue with it this year. This team desperately needs defensive help, and the draft is best at DL and DB, which is where we need the help.

The BPA no matter what argument has always been lame IMO. There's a damn cap you have to manage to and you have to fill out a roster.

Case in point, what if Dalvin Cook was the BPA last night, would it have been smart to pick him at 28 and ignore the defense? Of course not.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
So moving forward, how do we salvage this draft? Who do you like in 2 and 3?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They probably wont do it after taking Charlton at 28, but if Tyus Bowser or Malik McDowell fell in our laps at 60 I think I'd have to seriously consider it.

Really like Bowser because he has traits of a true potential pass rush RDE, and he could also potentially play SOLB. A better Kyle Wilbur. I think he'd probably make Mayowa expendable as well.

McDowell would give us 3 tall, rangy DL's that you could move all over the front 4.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
In this post, we'll look at seven writers who have submitted their grades for the Cowboys already, most of which are "A" grades:

FOX Sports really likes the pick and gave it an A+:

Taco in Dallas is too good to be true. He could be the transformational pass rusher the Cowboys need on that side of the ball. Huge need filled by arguably the second-best player at that position.

Sports Illustrated gave the pick an A-:

The hype on Charlton peaked around pick No. 9 (Cincinnati). This is a far more appropriate range for him, considering that he has shown flashes of brilliance but is still very much a work in progress. And if that’s your scouting report as a defensive lineman, there are few coaches better to help mold your development than Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli. While Charlton is steady enough against the run that he can be trusted on early downs, Marinelli figures to unleash him most often bending the edge vs. the pass. This fills a need for Dallas, and at a good value.

Walter Football also gave the pick an A-:

One team told us early in the draft process that they regarded Taco Charlton as a top-10 prospect. That changed a bit throughout the spring, but Charlton still provides solid value at No. 28 overall. Charlton is a long, athletic player. The concern is that he's a 1-year wonder, but he's very talented and could potentially solve Dallas' pass-rushing woes. I had Charlton going at No. 21, so the Cowboys did well by being patient and taking one of the better players remaining on the board.

NFL.com: another A-:

The skinny: Dallas had a choice between Charlton and T.J. Watt. Either could have fit their bill, and the need was certainly there. I had Watt with a higher grade, but Charlton's length and agility are impressive. He'll be a very good player for Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett.

The Ringer gave the pick an A- for value and a B+ for fit

At 6-foot-6 and 277 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms, Charlton possesses ideal size and length — but he hasn’t put it all together as a pass rusher. He can be inconsistent at times, and he failed to impress at the combine, clocking in at 4.92 seconds in the 40. That time doesn’t paint an accurate picture of who he is, though: He has a quick first step, displays powerful hands, and shows flashes of an intriguing spin move that could develop into his signature at the next level. Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a history of getting the most out of his defensive linemen; Charlton could contribute early for a Cowboys team bereft of edge rushers.

NESN with yet another A-:

The Cowboys really struggled to rush the passer last season, and Charlton will help draw double teams that will allow other Dallas pass rushers to have an easier route to the opposing quarterback.

CBS Sports breaks up the Cowboys love fest with a B-:

They need help up front, but this kid flashed at times and did little else.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bolded guys I really like for our 2nd rd pick. Italics guys I'm ok with but would like them more with 3rd, so not quite the same as bolded. Getting two of the below with our 2nd and 3rd would be awesome.

1. Dalvin Cook RB Florida St.
2. Forrest Lamp G Western Kentucky
3. Budda Baker S Washington
4. Tyus Bowser OLB Houston
5. Cam Robinson T Alabama

6. Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma
7. Carl Lawson DE Auburn
8. Malik McDowell DT Michigan St.
9. Alvin Kamara RB Tennessee
10. Sidney Jones CB Washington

11. Dion Dawkins G Temple
12. Curtis Samuel WR Ohio St.
13. Jordan Willis DE Kansas St.
14. Fabian Moreau CB UCLA
15. Duke Riley OLB LSU

16. Taylor Moton T Western Michigan
17. Quincy Wilson CB Florida
18. Dalvin Tomlinson DT Alabama
19. Zay Jones WR East Carolina
20. Jourdan Lewis CB Michigan

21. Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado
22. Dan Feeney G Indiana
23. Tim Williams DE Alabama
24. Josh Jones S North Carolina St.
25. Gerald Everett TE South Alabama

26. Zach Cunningham ILB Vanderbilt
27. DeMarcus Walker DE Florida St.
28. Marcus Williams S Utah
29. Tarell Basham DE Ohio
30. JuJu Smith-Schuster WR USC

31. Marcus Maye S Florida
32. Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington
33. Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio St.
34. Carlos Watkins DT Clemson
35. Teez Tabor CB Florida

36. Chris Wormley DT Michigan
37. Ryan Anderson OLB Alabama
38. Kevin King CB Washington
39. D'Onta Foreman RB Texas
40. Jaleel Johnson DT Iowa

41. DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
42. Derek Rivers DE Youngstown St.
43. Akhello Witherspoon CB Colorado
44. Obi Melifonwu S Connecticut
45. Nathan Peterman QB Pittsburgh

46. Adam Shaheen TE Ashland
47. Antonio Garcia T Troy
48. Desmond King CB/S Iowa
49. Alex Anzalone OLB Florida
50. Jake Butt TE Michigan

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They probably wont do it after taking Charlton at 28, but if Tyus Bowser or Malik McDowell fell in our laps at 60 I think I'd have to seriously consider it.

Really like Bowser because he has traits of a true potential pass rush RDE, and he could also potentially play SOLB. A better Kyle Wilbur. I think he'd probably make Mayowa expendable as well.

McDowell would give us 3 tall, rangy DL's that you could move all over the front 4.

I agree 100% on Bowser and McDowell. I know we need a CB but if Bowser or McDowell are there I'd likely double up on the DL. Zach Cunningham is another guy I'd seriously consider over a CB at 60 if he's still there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree 100% on Bowser and McDowell. I know we need a CB but if Bowser or McDowell are there I'd likely double up on the DL. Zach Cunningham is another guy I'd seriously consider over a CB at 60 if he's still there.

Cunningham is a heckuva football player. I really thought someone would pick him in 1st.

My only reservation on him is if they truly believe Jaylon Smith is going to be ready, where does Cunningham play? He's good enough to play all 3 downs, but I don't think they'd pull Lee or Smith off the field on nickel/dime downs. There could be some pass rush sets where Smith is a pass rusher, so in that instance you'd have Lee and Cunningham at LB.

Love the player but I don't think they would take him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really like Quincy Wilson for us, and Butt would have been a 1st or early 2nd rd pick I think if not for the ACL.

I'd still rather wait till Saturday to pick a TE, but if the below happened I wont complain.

NFL Draft Day 2 Mock Draft, Rounds 2 and 3 | The MMQB with Peter King

No. 60 Dallas Cowboys: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida
The Cowboys need to re-stock depth in their secondary after a free-agency exodus. Wilson is a good start.

No. 92 Dallas Cowboys: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan
Dallas fans will love this pick. Butt is a top talent whose draft stock was derailed by a bowl game injury. Once he’s healthy, he could be the Jason Witten heir apparent.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Cunningham is a heckuva football player. I really thought someone would pick him in 1st.

My only reservation on him is if they truly believe Jaylon Smith is going to be ready, where does Cunningham play? He's good enough to play all 3 downs, but I don't think they'd pull Lee or Smith off the field on nickel/dime downs. There could be some pass rush sets where Smith is a pass rusher, so in that instance you'd have Lee and Cunningham at LB.

Love the player but I don't think they would take him.

I would start Cunningham in the middle and start Jaylon on the strong side. Then like you said on obvious passing downs you rush Jaylon off the edge. A LB core of Lee/Cunningham/Jaylon would an extremely dynamic set of LB's.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Kevin King would be my pick. How much would it cost us to trade for an additional 2nd?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Kevin King would be my pick. How much would it cost us to trade for an additional 2nd?

Too much. This team needs players and really can't afford to trade any picks. Plus with it being a deep draft just be patient and take the best player available at 60.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
FWIW the Richardson trade talks are being rumored again. Cowboys, Chiefs and Falcons. Jets want a day two or three pick. Would not surprise me if Jerry offered a 2018 mid rounder but I think the other teams more likely if it happens.

Top Bottom