Reaction score
'I'll never forget this, never as long as I live;' How Witten spearheaded the idea to honor families of fallen officers
By David Moore

OXNARD, Calif. -- They walked onto the practice field in silence, arms locked in a sign of unity and support.

There was Valerie Zamarripa, a mother who lost her son to a senseless ambush earlier this month, accompanied by quarterback Tony Romo and Mayor Mike Rawlings. Police chief David Brown found himself between tight end Jason Witten and cornerback Orlando Scandrick.

A summer of unrest has ignited a conversation about the racial divide in our country, about what has broken down in our communities that leads to this violence. It's an important and complex discussion.

Saturday afternoon was about something more basic. It was about the Cowboys, before their first full practice of this training camp, showing compassion for the family members of the five officers who were slain in downtown Dallas earlier this month.

"We're just going to stay arm-in-arm the best we can,'' safety Barry Church said. "Out here we're just playing a game. What they have to deal with is real life.

"If we can just lift spirits by what we're doing out here and just stay arm-in-arm and support their cause, I'm with that.''
Rawlings thanked the Cowboys for being the latest group to help lift the city up after the tragic events of July 7.

"Those families, those young kids, to be arm-in-arm with a quarterback, a coach or a big lineman, they'll remember that for the rest of their lives,'' Rawlings said of the 13 family members who made the trip to Southern California.

"You know, there are mythic moments in history, in the histories of cities. We went through a terrible one a few weeks ago. This hopefully is a mythic moment to take us to the next level.

"As I reminded the team today, they'll always be the Cowboys. But this year, play for Dallas like they've never played before."

Witten spearheaded what took place. It began when he approached Charlotte Jones Anderson in the aftermath of the tragedy.

"We need to do something,'' Witten told the Cowboys executive vice president. "What are we doing? What should we do''

"I don't know,'' Anderson responded. "What do you think?''

The conversation went from there. Witten was passionate that the club needed to do something for the families.
"A lot of people are doing great things and making donations, which is fabulous,'' Anderson said. "We felt like we could give them something that maybe would mean a little more.''

The idea to come out arm-in-arm belonged to Witten. So did the idea to wear a patch on their helmets in this camp that reads Arm in Arm.

The Cowboys have asked the NFL if they can wear that patch on their helmets this season. Discussions are ongoing.
Witten got emotional as he spoke about the day and the privilege it is to be a part of the Cowboys.

"I think that's really a gateway to special, unique experiences and opportunities for all of us as players,'' Witten said. "I think more than anything else, it leads to a responsibility, a responsibility of generations that have come before us and kids that look up to us as role models. And really, a responsibility to our community.

"That's what everybody as players in the organization felt, to represent our community, to give back to it. But more than anything, the special thing about our game is that it can bring our community together. It can lift you up when you're down.
"The organization just wanted to honor them, show tribute to the families and show support. It's all about uniting together as a community. It's great to do that on Day One of training camp.''

Brown, as he has since the tragedy, spoke about the need for athletes and others to have a voice in the conversation about race, to talk about the tension that too often exists between police departments and minority communities.

Brown spoke of how he grew up in a neighborhood where crack cocaine was sold. Determined to become part of the solution, he dropped out of college at the age of 21 to become a police officer.

On a practice field in Oxnard 33 years later, as Cowboys players and coaches dropped down to one knee and formed a circle around the Dallas police chief, he delivered that message.

"I talked about there being two things you can do,'' Brown said. "You can be part of the problem by being silent or being complicit, or you can be part of the solution by having a voice, by lending your role as a professional athlete to this cause.

"I think that people need to hear, from all parts of society, a discussion on race. It's the toughest discussion that we all have, but it's part of the root cause of some of the problems that we see in some of our communities.''

Brown called Saturday afternoon's experience overwhelming. He called the Cowboys' support for law enforcement priceless.

"I've got chill bumps,'' Brown said. "I'm a Dallas Cowboys fan. I'm a three-generation Dallasite, so it means a lot.

"This is special, and we'll never forget the Cowboys organization for stepping up in our time of grief."

Tears ran down Valerie Zamarripa's face as she walked onto the field. Her son, Patrick, was a big fan of the Cowboys and Rangers. How could he not be?

"When he was a baby, I dressed him up in Cowboys gear so from the get-go, he was a total Cowboys fan,'' said Zamarripa, who wore a large circle pin with a picture of her son on a shirt that had Witten's name and number on the back.

"I'll never forget this, never as long as I live. This is something I never expected or imagined would happen in my life.''

Family members from four of the five slain officers flew to California on Friday evening and were put up at the Embassy Suites on the beach a few miles from the Cowboys' practice facility. They watched Saturday afternoon's practice, spoke to players and coaches, then had dinner with the team in its dining hall.

Each family received a helmet autographed by members of the team. They will fly back Sunday on the private jet of the Jones family. The organization paid for all of their expenses.

Jerry Jones told the players he's never been prouder of the team in his 27 years as owner.

"It was special to see the kids that were here and hopefully put a smile on their face,'' Witten said. "Maybe hug a loved one, a wife or a mother.

"We can't even imagine what they've gone through. I can't even fathom that. Just to hopefully put a smile on their face and show them how much we respect them and honor them in that.

"It's pretty simple,'' Witten continued. "The tribute was to them.

"It was about those families.''

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott on his first upcoming practice in pads, rookie singing, learning from Tony Romo
By Kate Hairopoulos

Cowboys rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott wanted to talk only football Sunday night during his first interview session at training camp. He declined all questions about allegations of violence made by a former girlfriend.

Elliott said that he is taking advantage of working with quarterback Tony Romo.

"It's good, a teacher-student relationship," Elliott said. "He's probably the smartest football mind on this team. Who's a better guy to go to and learn from?"

Elliott said that he's looking forward to putting on pads for the first time in his short NFL career during Monday's practice to "finally see what everything is about. ...I'm excited to get the pads on and get physical."

Elliott said that what is helping him make the transition to the NFL is actually making mistakes.

"Once you make a mistake, it's kind of imprinted in your head what you need to do and exactly what's going on," he said. "Once you make that first mistake, it kind of clears up everything and everything becomes easier."

Elliott is undergoing some rookie initiations, including singing in front of the team. He said he had been practicing different songs after a rendition Saturday night of the Ohio State alma mater didn't go so well.

"I didn't pass the test, so I have to go again tonight," he said. "I was practicing all last night for my big moment tonight again."

Reaction score
Arm-in-arm decal won't make regular season cut, but Cowboys still hope it can be worn in preseason
By David Moore

The Arm in Arm decal the Cowboys unveiled to open this camp won't be worn on their helmets during the regular season.
But the club is still in discussion with the NFL for it to be worn during their four preseason games.

"Well, I don't think we'll be able to do it during the regular [season]," executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "It's up for debate as to whether we can wear them in the preseason games."

Cowboys players, coaches and administrators walked onto the field for Saturday's first practice arm-in-arm with Dallas city officials, members of the Dallas Police Department and family members of the officers slain in the ambush in Dallas earlier this month. A decal signifying the club's support for the city and those families was placed on the back of the Cowboys helmets.

The NFL's refusal to allow the club to wear the decals during the regular season isn't a repudiation of the sentiment.

"There are so many wonderful, wonderful causes, the league has to be careful," Jones said. "If you allow one, then what do you do about every team that has a great reason to have something on their helmets?

"There are tons of things out there that need to be recognized. Once you open that Pandora's box, how do you ever stop?"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Paging Mr BB. paging Mr BB

Sal Maiorana Verified account 
‏@salmaiorana
Cardale Jones just threw a pass so far off target it knocked the phone out of the hand of a reporter 40 feet behind the sideline.

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, the coverage overall has been very good. Quarterbacks have had to check the ball down a considerable amount of snaps.
-Brian Broaddus Scouting Notebook (who appears to have adopted Garretts "a bit" in his scouting notebook).

My issue here is that the coverage might not be as good as the offense is predictable and bad. Prescott is holding the ball too long. Yes that could be Precott being a bad QB or could be a new QB wondering why no one is open and not wanting to throw to a player who is covered.

Reaction score
Cowboys DE Ryan Russell has bulked up from his rookie year. Said he hit the weight room hard this offseason, gained "about 10 good pounds."

Reaction score
#Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said DL Tyrone Crawford's back problems are recurrence of previous problem. TC started feeling problem Sunday.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
#Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said DL Tyrone Crawford's back problems are recurrence of previous problem. TC started feeling problem Sunday.

great. we gave all that money to a lineman with back problems. I had not heard about this before.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

So this guy gets a fat contract when they knew he had a bad back on top of everything else? Now that Al Davis is gone Jerry must be a constant source of comedy in 31 other GM offices around the league.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

This defense is going to be sooooo good.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Morris Claiborne the star of the day defensively? 5 or 6 PBU's?

Lots of good blurbs on Terrell McClain too.

What is happening?

Reaction score
Moore: Why Jason Garrett, staff chose not to put Cowboys in pads to open training camp
By David Moore

A collection of observations, random thoughts and opinions about the upcoming day at Cowboys training camp:

This afternoon the Cowboys will do something they haven't done in 210 days.

Practice in pads.

The last time the players were in pads was for their Jan. 3 loss to Washington to end the regular season. Teams aren't allowed to practice in pads during the nine practices they are allotted during organized team activities or the three minicamp practices.

Because of that schedule, and because the players were off for five weeks before reporting to training camp, head coach Jason Garrett and his staff have chosen not to put them in pads to open camp. The two days over the weekend were to acclimate the players and ease them into pads, which begins today.

This is the third consecutive camp the Cowboys have followed this timeline.

"We think it's in our best interest to be deliberate as we start camp and let them get their football feet, their football legs beneath them in situations where they're not competing against someone,'' Garrett said. "Often time, that's where guys get hurt because they're not quite ready, they're not quite reacting to the way their body needs to react when they're in a competitive situation.

"We'll put the pads on Monday and get after it a little bit.''

Reaction score
As pads come on, Jason Garrett wants Cowboys to be smart
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- After opening the first two days of training camp without even working the offense against the defense, the Dallas Cowboys will put on the pads for the first time Monday afternoon.

Jason Garrett’s message to the players: be smart.

“I don't know if it’s a speech, but you always talk to the team of how you want to practice,” Garrett said. “You try to do it beforehand and you try to coach as you go. We will lay out what the expectations are. We will coach them during the practice. We will look at how we did. And then we will get together and clean some things up. We will recognize what was good and clean up the stuff that wasn't good.”

The last time the Cowboys had the pads on was Jan. 3 in their 2015 season finale against the Washington Redskins. For some rookies, it has been a little longer. And for Rico Gathers, it has been years. He's making the transformation from Baylor basketball power forward to Cowboys tight end and hasn’t played football since junior high.

“It will be interesting to see how he handles it,” Garrett said. “I think he has gotten better and better in his football movements since he has been here. Excited to see him in that environment.”

First-round pick Ezekiel Elliott said it was awkward not working against the defense the first few days, but he is looking forward to “getting physical.”

How long does it take him to get used to the pads?

“It’s a little bit different, kind of just carrying that extra weight on,” Elliott said, “but doesn’t really take that long. It’s probably more excitement to get the pads on than to be out there with just helmets.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Former Texas Longhorn LB Emmanual Acho is working out for Cowboys today. Tweet from Brandon George says others are there working out today as well, but no names.

Acho was drafted by Philly originally.

Reaction score
Some good reviews of rookie DE Charles Tapper so far.

I saw that too.

From Broaddus:
Charles Tapper looked like an edge rusher in this practice. There were several snaps in 1-on-1 where he was off the ball before the tackle had a chance to react. What was even more impressive was the way Tapper was able to finish his rush. He showed power, along with pass rush moves (spin) in order to free himself to get to the level of the quarterback. Tapper was also able to get up the field in the running game, where he had a tackle for loss during Team Period and was able to later retrace his steps in order to get back to the ball.

The part that is validated for me that is above early team propaganda is Tappers speed. The guy is a freak.

Reaction score
Former Texas Longhorn LB Emmanual Acho is working out for Cowboys today. Tweet from Brandon George says others are there working out today as well, but no names.

Acho was drafted by Philly originally.

After Darius Eubanks’ departure from camp on Sunday, the Cowboys will hold several more workouts on Tuesday morning. Linebackers Emmanuel Acho, James Morris and Quayshawn Nealy will work out in hopes of filling the open roster spot.

Best name in NFL right now.

Top Bottom