cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Some of you apparently didn't watch the FCS championship game. Wentz looked all world in that game. Can't wait for the Senior Bowl, and then the heartbreak to follow when we take Jalen Ramsey at #4.

You do realize it is a lower level right. I get it, he's good. People are tripping over themselves to praise him but I'd like to see how he competes with bigtime D1 level DB's covering his WR's and D1 D-Linemen rushing him.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He has a point. It's hard to disassociate idiocy from sarcasm when people say stupid shit.

Quincy Carter is unfair.

Matt Schaub is not. That's just my opinion. I see Matt Schaub or Mike Glennon when I watch him. I don't think he's even Joe Flacco. Tough sell for me with the 4th overall pick.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You do realize it is a lower level right. I get it, he's good. People are tripping over themselves to praise him but I'd like to see how he competes with bigtime D1 level DB's covering his WR's and D1 D-Linemen rushing him.
Of course, in the NFL he will have bigtime D-1 linemen, bigtime D-1 receivers and running backs helping him out.

But yep, most college QBs never make that transition to the NFL game successfully. Will be fun to see if he can.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

I have seen him fit some passes into seriously tight gaps. He is mobile, and able to move the pocket similar to how Romo does. I do think he needs a couple of years to develop a good understanding of the change of speed at the next level, but that's why now would be perfect to draft him. Let him sit under Romo for a couple of years and learn.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Again, as I stated before in the Travis Frederick draft Jerry himself has said that McClay was the guy pushing for Frederick. He made such a case for him that they went ahead and chose him even though most teams had him going in the 2nd or 3rd round. Even Frederick himself said he was surprised he was picked in the 1st. McClay did his homework though and knew that Frederick would be a player. Now he's less than 5 years into his career and he's already a 2 time All Pro. And last year's draft was one of the best drafts this team has ever had. That's why he was promoted to Assistant Director of Player Personnel. And it's why he will likely be the future GM of this team when Jerry decides to step away (or dies).

If McClay did his homework and knew that Fred would be a player, can you tell me why we missed on TWill, Escobar, Wilcox, Webb and the rest of the bunch?

Fred was a pet cat of Callahan's who had worked Fred out before the draft. McClay was promoted mainly because of TC's insubordination in that draft when he (and Garrett) had a hissy fit in the war room over passing up Floyd. And last years draft was not one of the best drafts this team has ever had.

Reaction score
And it's why he will likely be the future GM of this team when Jerry decides to step away (or dies).

You may not agree with it but the writing is on the wall. Jerry doesn't have as much control as he's had in the past. Stephen and McClay are running the football side of this team now.

Where do you come up with this fantasy? Stephen Jones will be the next GM, and Spaulding will take over after that. This company is run on nepotism rather than merit.

And to claim that Jerry doesn't have as much control leads me to wonder if you even lift, bro.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Quincy Carter is unfair.

Matt Schaub is not. That's just my opinion. I see Matt Schaub or Mike Glennon when I watch him. I don't think he's even Joe Flacco. Tough sell for me with the 4th overall pick.

Wentz is way more athletic than any of those guys. I would say he's closer to an Aaron Rodgers, Rich Gannon, or even Alex Smith (as far as athletic ability). The most recent guy he's been compared to is Mariota.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Of course, in the NFL he will have bigtime D-1 linemen, bigtime D-1 receivers and running backs helping him out.

But yep, most college QBs never make that transition to the NFL game successfully. Will be fun to see if he can.

That's why everyone is anxious to see him in the Senior Bowl. Personally I believe that if he had went to a D1 school he would be the #1 QB in this draft by a mile.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If McClay did his homework and knew that Fred would be a player, can you tell me why we missed on TWill, Escobar, Wilcox, Webb and the rest of the bunch?

Fred was a pet cat of Callahan's who had worked Fred out before the draft. McClay was promoted mainly because of TC's insubordination in that draft when he (and Garrett) had a hissy fit in the war room over passing up Floyd. And last years draft was not one of the best drafts this team has ever had.

No team hits on everyone. When it comes to Escobar though I have a theory about the TE's that come through Dallas. I honestly think that whenever Escobar leaves Dallas he will have success with another team. Look around the NFL and look at the TE's that played here that have had or are having success. Fasano, Chandler, Phillips, and Bennett have all had long productive careers. All played behind Witten. I think that Witten has set the bar so high and plays so much that it's hard for any other TE to have success in Dallas.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have seen him fit some passes into seriously tight gaps. He is mobile, and able to move the pocket similar to how Romo does. I do think he needs a couple of years to develop a good understanding of the change of speed at the next level, but that's why now would be perfect to draft him. Let him sit under Romo for a couple of years and learn.
He DOES have some wheels under him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Small school doesn't always equal NFL failure. Favre, Rothelisberger, and Romo all went to small school.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Miami, OH and Southern Miss are still FBS schools. Those schools would compare closer to Memphis. ND State is FCS, or old school Division 1A. Flacco played at an FCS school but he was originally at Pitt. He went to Delaware to avoid having to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility.

Romo is an anomaly.

Last edited:

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Miami, OH and Southern Miss are still FBS schools. Those schools would compare closer to Memphis. ND State is FCS, or old school Division 1A. Flacco played at an FCS school but he was originally at Pitt. He went to Delaware to avoid having to sit out a year and lose a year of eligibility.

Romo is an anomaly.

We will see. I highly doubt we draft him, but I hope we do. You go ahead and bookmark this post, because I think he will be something special in the NFL. I just hope we are the team that gets to benefit from it.

Top Bottom